10/02/2013 2:44PM

Keeneland: Wise Dan scares few away from Shadwell Turf Mile

Michael Burns
Wise Dan, the reigning Horse of the Year, won the Woodbine Mile last time out.

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Wise Dan has been assigned the outside post in a field of 10 older horses entered in the Grade 1, $750,000 Shadwell Turf Mile, the richest race of the Keeneland fall meet and one of five graded stakes on a sensational Saturday program.

Wise Dan, the reigning Horse of the Year, will have John Velazquez aboard in the Shadwell, a two-turn race he won last year as a 3-5 favorite. The 6-year-old gelding has won his last nine races and surely will be a huge favorite again as he makes his final start before the Nov. 2 Breeders’ Cup Mile at Santa Anita.

Regarding the outside post, Wise Dan’s trainer Charlie LoPresti said, “It doesn’t matter to me. Johnny always tells me, ‘Don’t worry about any hole, not even the 1 hole.’ I sure don’t want to be overconfident, but you have to think the horse will have enough speed to place himself in a good spot.”

LoPresti said he was “a little taken aback” at the relatively large number of challengers for Wise Dan. Winning Prize, Summer Front, and Silver Max are among the more well-regarded opponents, while one of the surprise entrants is Hogy, who was entered to run Friday in the Grade 3 Phoenix but probably will be withheld to run in the Shadwell, said trainer Wayne Catalano.

The Shadwell, one of seven Win and You’re In races to be run here this weekend as preps for the Breeders’ Cup, is carded as the ninth of 10 Saturday races and the last of five straight graded stakes. First post is 1:05 p.m. Eastern, with the Shadwell going at 5:21. In those preceding races:

◗ Grade 1, $400,000 Dixiana Breeders’ Futurity: An oversubscribed group of 2-year-olds gives this 1 1/16-mile Polytrack race an extraordinarily competitive look, with a core of lukewarm favorites likely to include Kendall’s Boy, Solitary Ranger, Conquest Titan, and We Miss Artie. Seventeen were entered but only as many as 14 can start.

◗ Grade 1, $400,000 First Lady: Daisy Devine and Dayatthespa, both Grade 1 winners over the Keeneland course, are among eight fillies and mares in this one-mile turf race. Other notables include Hungry Island, Better Lucky, and a Coolmore 3-year-old, Say, who cleared quarantine earlier this week after shipping from Ireland for trainer Aidan O’Brien.

◗ Grade 2, $200,000 Thoroughbred Club of America: The defending champion, Groupie Doll, was assigned the favorable outside slot in a field of just six fillies and mares in this six-furlong Polytrack race. Trainer Buff Bradley has been effusive in his praise of the reigning divisional champion as she has trained toward her final prep for the Nov. 2 BC Filly and Mare Sprint. Judy the Beauty and Gypsy Robin head the opposition.

◗ Grade 3, $150,000 Woodford: A typical well-matched field of 10 turf sprinters was entered in this 5 1/2-furlong race, with the 2012 runner-up, Great Mills, likely to be among the favorites. Others figuring to take solid play include Stormofthecentury, Spring to the Sky, and the 2011 winner, Havelock.

any chance of getting some odds on Dan due to the larger field? anything greater than 1-1 is phenomenal.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Some of you are so funny.
your arrogance is funny
I've been mocked how many times now for betting Wise Dan at low odds.... still cashing in. When I see someone who has a chance I'll think about the odds
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Wasn't mocking you tiger, just saying it's funny that you are wishing for more than even money, which is really really funny.
Hail No More than 1 year ago
You missed HC's point, about getting even money, he's a bit of a smart arse, though :-) Hay, might want to think about saving a tic or two and if so inclined, get a Fred Stone or another artist's rendering of WD, and it'll always be one heck of a conversation piece. I have a great Fred Stone Portrait of that old horse in my pic with a $20 uncashed tic from his last race at the MLands, in the "Ballantine"
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Hail No, always nice to meet a Fred Stone fan. Have several limited litho's. The triple crown series is one of my fav's with the jockey signatures, and candle in the wind also. Glad you get the little jokes even if a bit smart arsed.
ahh well I can certainly appreciate a smart arse....just supposed to sound clever not condescending :P context is hard online. anyways with that said it is quite laughable hoping for 1-1 odds... if it was anyone but Wise Dan I wouldn't make a substantial bet. No I must google Fred Stone
Hail No More than 1 year ago
There was no reply button on your post below. I have quite a few of Fred's work, and Go For Wand is right above my computer desk, she was so special.. and hay, we're all smart arses at times, we're horseplayers/lovers :)
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
I love Fred Stone's work. Talked with him a few times and a brief moment of business dealings with him. Love the Go For Wand, was a fan of course, saw her at the Breeders Cup, but love that due the circumstances he painted her with her groom and not under silks. Enough said.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Looking thru the list of names here, I'm seeing alotta folks that chimed in pulling for Paynter last year. You can't put a price on that.
martymar . More than 1 year ago
“We received overwhelmingly positive feedback during our free preview of DRF Plus and used these findings to refine and sharpen the premium offering even further,” said John Hartig, CEO of Daily Racing Form. “We are confident that DRF’s increased investment in expanded coverage and heightened online content will provide great value and enjoyment for all horseplayers striving to play the game with more confidence and win more.” overwhelming positive feedback? I just want to read the damn articles online, whenever I get magazine subscription and then I decide to read it online and I don't have to pay for it again why is it if I buy DRF that I would have to repay for it read it online?
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
DRF just MIGHT try to do something to block Claire!???!
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
so let me get this straight, the drf wants me to pay them 8 bucks a month now for my priceless commentary? LMAO, and I had so much more to add for free! oh well their loss! hahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahhaahhahahahhahahhahahhahahahhhahahahahhahaha
Joel Winicki More than 1 year ago
Joel WinickiLess than a minute ago bloodhorse paulickreport horseracingnation equibase ntra Every major racetrack also has there own website that typically offers a news feed as well. There is no doubt that these websites will capitalize on DRF's greed driven practice to squeeze as many dollars as they can from racing fans across the country. These competitor websites are sure to improve there own websites, as disgruntled DRF readers look for alternative horse racing news sources. I'm sure DRF+ looked like a great revenue producing idea on paper, but directing a very large portion of their reader base to the competition was surely overlooked. Most racing fans would much rather use their hard earned dollars wagering on horses.......not reading news that is available for FREE on other websites.
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
I think ur 3rd and 4th pick have the most potential. hope they create something nice for people.
Lawrence More than 1 year ago
Thoroughbredtimes is coming back online in about a month.
Vinod Jhangimal More than 1 year ago
Lord I hope that's true!
sharjil More than 1 year ago
The Only and the ONLY reason i visited DRF was for comments on articles. Bloodhorse does a much better job anyways... Nobody at DRF can write as well as Steve Haskin.
Elaine Parkinson More than 1 year ago
I just sent the following to some folks at DRF.com: Can you provide the links to the articles or policy changes that everyone is complaining about on DRF.com? I am taking care of a friend who has Pancreatic cancer and would like to be able to objectively review what has changed with DRF.com and the DRF Racing Form. If I am being asked to pay for analysis from people like you, Dan, Mike Watchmaker, and Mike Welsch (and even Steve) I don't mind doing that. I just need to know what the changes are, when they are being implemented, and what the freight is going to be. We live in a new world now and many people cannot comprehend even the obvious. Costs (printed) are rising every quarter, media organizations still must pay people to do their jobs (and they must get "Cost of living raises" from time to time), advertisers are always finding more efficient ways to spend their money. What I found most telling is that last Saturday's Belmond card only drew 10-11K people to the track but the handle was still excellent and the product was exceptionally exciting. What I don't understand is this? I would never gamble without having first reading the DR Form. What is $2.00 more dollars to me? Nothing in the context of having the best "Data" where I am competing against others who I hope will be less "informed." As far as paying for "premium services," this choice is no different that paying for better channels with my cable service bill which coincidentally; I just reduced for financial reasons by $50.00 dollars a month. Please advise ASAP; any of you. If any of you at DRF who I e-mailed is reading this, please disregard my request. I was able to find the time between my care-giving duties to find the article and the grid that describes the premium features of DRF Plus. While this may be un-popular in this thread, I say to DRF the following: Do not apologize for charging what is needed to make a profit and to provide a decent wage to all the people like Mike Welsch, Dan Illman, Mike Beer, Mike Watchmaker, et al... who provide the coverage I need to think through my handicapping choices. With regard to Mike Welsch, I will always pay attention and appreciate your workout insights especially when it comes to Breeders Cup and the Triple Crown races and preps. As Jack Nicholson once said (in 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'), "It's medication time."
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Are you kidding. When a business is not performing as they want, raising prices is not the answer and only a quicker way to an even smaller market share.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
And regarding your last sentence, the "medication" almost killed them.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Ask one of the 'field hands' at DRF how they are treated compared to 'office staff.'
Karl Deppen More than 1 year ago
I understand the reasoning of your article, but with the downward spiral of the horse industry, this is not the time to add additional costs to the people you're depending on to keep things going. There should be no costs for parking, entrance, and certainly no added costs to anything. The idea is to get more people involved in racing, not to keep them away !
Black More than 1 year ago
To all snivelers : You don't buy the form . You don't bet. You have no skin in the game. You are surprised by this because you don't pay attention. You read a headline and start commenting without ever reading the article. You feel betrayed because DRF is thinning out the riff-raff even though most of you are anti-racing masqueraders trying to pass yourself off as horseplayers. The non-players can now pay to express their worthless opinions if they so desire. I on the other hand am a player that has probably bought more forms (paper & digitized ) than all the 72 commenters on this thread combined have bought over the past 40 years. I have access to everything on DRF . Because I'm a REAL customer that actually plays races and purchases forms . I actually have been betrayed because my comments are never printed while at the same time non customers, anti-racing activists & spammers were given free reign . As Warren Buffet might say, now that DRF + is here we're going to find out how many of you ** bloggers** have been swimming naked .
Perl More than 1 year ago
+100.
Vinod Jhangimal More than 1 year ago
Suck up......keep it up Perl; maybe DRF gives you a one dollar discount on your subscription to Plus.
Perl More than 1 year ago
Yes that's exactly what I'm angling for...FOOL.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
The sea bass is drowning again. Would some kind soul throw him a brick?
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
so whats ur point? u want the distinction of being the biggest degenerate award? LMAO u win!
Perl More than 1 year ago
Some people actually win at this beautiful game.
jay More than 1 year ago
TED...That was funny, I was thinking the same thing.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
I doubt that over the years you have purchased more racing forms than I and I as well am a player that has been loyal for over 30 years. I disagree with you. 7 bucks during the week and 7.50 on weekends for a paper racing form. I understand printing and distribution costs. Fine. but they are missing the boat on the download version. 2.95 per card is insane for something that costs little to make available, and 5 cards at 1.50 costs the same as the form. However, printing costs adds quite a bit to that, making it of little to no value or cost savings. This is a big mistake. Increase customers, volume and bottom line profit by reducing the cost of downloading the cards. 1 buck a card. They can't see that, and this advice is free, but they don't have a good business plan for profit and think that raising prices is the answer which has killed many business's.
Perl More than 1 year ago
You act as if you have in-depth knowledge of the price elasticity of the DRFs customers. Don't you think maybe the DRF has conducted a few internal pricing analysis' over the years? Don't you think that maybe the data shows that they are best off selling their product at $2.95/card rather than giving them away at $1/card? Honestly HC, you aren't clueless, but don't act like you have any understanding at all of the economics of this decision.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
I, in fact do have an understanding of business economics. I won't go into the details except to say that as an executive in business sales, I have taken several companies from little to much in a short time. Example would be just one company with 15 million in sales to over 50 million in sales in less than three years. So you would be wrong. And actually I don't think they have done the proper analysis and I think you give them too much credit in your assumptions. I have done this scenario many times in the past. If I sold a product at half the competitor at a 30 point margin and my competitor was at a 50 point margin, I would sell five times the product and vastly increase customers, volume and profit, and make twice as much as the competitor.
Perl More than 1 year ago
So you're saying their bottom line would benefit by cutting their price 65%, from $2.95 to $1.00 and in doing so (assuming basically no fixed costs), they would more than triple their cusotmer base? I seriously doubt it, and I won't bore anyone with the details of my qualifications, but let's stick to common sense and simple mathmatics. What you're suggesting is ludicrous.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
More then triple their customer base for downloading the form? Absolutely, in fact most likely even more. Absolutely. You thinking it's ludicrous that they could triple those sales is what is ludicrous. In fact it is simple math and logic that would dictate that.
Perl More than 1 year ago
The key is that you're in sales, HC. And like most sales guys, you think you understand finance, but you don't. The DRF basically has the market cornered on their pps. Yes, there's Equibase as well as a wonderful new startup that could change that, but when you have these sort of market dynamics, the last thing in the world you want to do is slash your pricing by 65%. You can go ahead and pretend you have the full view of DRFs financials an analytics, but they're a private company so I doubt it. So keep telling me what a big smart business executive you are. That holds a lot of water in this discussion. Like I said, you don't know what you're talking about.
Joel Winicki More than 1 year ago
Here's some simple math, with regards to reading news articles, for you Perl: Free
Joel Winicki More than 1 year ago
I guess my equation was deleted.... Free
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Perl, you are wrong on many fronts, and so wrong it's ridiculous, but not having the understanding you can't see it, so stomp your feet, cover your eyes and ears and keep doing the same thing and see where that gets you. And that is where DRF is at. Let's see where that gets them. Have a great day Perl, DRF loves you, unfortunately there are less and less of you, and when just down to you and a few others, a form will cost you 25 bucks. Bad business principle.
Perl More than 1 year ago
No, HC, you're absolutely right. A company that virtually has the market cornered, that must sell more than 75% of all the pps out there, should slash their prices by 65%. Because there surely are hundreds of thousands of people out there who won't buy a day of pps for $2.95 but will gladly pay $1 and become huge players. Now that's smart business. Thanks for setting me straight, pal! Business 101. LMAO.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Perl, a final note. The fact that you attempt to disparage me as being in sales, it was far more than that, but without growing sales and in turn profit I would have been worthless instead of highly valued. The fact you think this is not about sales is the most glaring blindness and misunderstanding you have. It is about sales. It is all about sales, period.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Perl, you sound like DRF's comptroller or CFO trying to hang on to that job by saying all is fine while the ship is sinking without the knowledge of how to stop it.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Actually you sound more like you're the bookkeeper for your wife's potpourri business. So when her sales slump, I'm sure you advised her to change nothing and increase prices. How'd that work out for you. And attempting to disparage me that my business background did not work, it did. 15 million to 50 million annually.
Vinod Jhangimal More than 1 year ago
There ya go Mr. Black.......as son as you lorded it over the powers that be at DRF that you purchase everything that they offer, they published your comment. I buy the Form when I am in the USA. I gamble very little on the races but am a horseowner. On a daily basis I will go to the website to find out the latest NEWS and articles related to the activity that I have loved being a part of since I was FOUR YEARS OLD. Believe me when I tell you that I have plenty of "skin in the game." I don't pay even one percent of what you claim to pay to DRF, yet my comments get published quite frequently. Maybe because I am more coherent and spot-on with my commentaries than certain people who have "access to everything on DRF", I get that as a special perk. THANK YOU DRF!
Billy Spathanas More than 1 year ago
I already buy a Daily racing form 4x"s a week because I like handicapping off of paper. I like coming home , sitting and to read and post a comment or two just like a lot of the DRF faithful. Come on DRF , lighten up on us.
BJ Amey-Guckert More than 1 year ago
I would love to see Handsome Mike take his confident you kn ow what! out
Perl More than 1 year ago
Handsome Mike is gonna get smoked.