05/15/2015 5:23PM

Keen Pauline all the way in Black-Eyed Susan

Debra A. Roma
Keen Pauline, ridden by Javier Castellano, wins the Grade 2 Black-Eyed Susan Stakes by 2 3/4 lengths Friday.

BALTIMORE – Keen Pauline came into the Black-Eyed Susan Stakes at Pimlico with a seven-furlong maiden victory to her credit from five starts. She left a Grade 2 winner at 1 1/8 miles.

Keen Pauline broke alertly from the outside post in the nine-horse field of 3-year-old fillies and briefly raced on the pace outside 13-10 favorite Luminance. Keen Pauline soon found herself alone on the front end under jockey Javier Castellano through an opening quarter in 24.37 seconds.

Longshot Gypsy Judy joined Keen Pauline from the outside and prompted the pace as Keen Pauline completed a half-mile in 49.09 and six furlongs in 1:13.00. Keen Pauline opened a clear lead in upper stretch and was 2 3/4 lengths clear at the wire.

Keen Pauline was timed in 1:50.46 over a fast track. She paid $32.80 as the seventh choice in the race.

"Nobody wanted to go to the lead out of the gate, so I took it," Castellano said.

Luminance landed in the second flight along the inside after settling off the pace. She tried to come up inside the winner in upper stretch but ultimately tired to finish fifth, beaten 7 1/2 lengths. Gypsy Judy, 48-1, tired to finish eighth.

Keen Pauline is a Pulpit filly owned and bred by Stonestreet Stables. Stonestreet bought Keen Pauline's dam, Grand Pauline, for $360,000 at the Saratoga yearling sale in 2006, but she never raced.

Dale Romans is the trainer of Keen Pauline, who won a maiden race at Churchill Downs in her second start last fall. Romans ran her in a six-furlong allowance at Keeneland in April in which she finished fourth, beaten two lengths. He then stretched her out to nine furlongs Friday.

"She's a really good filly," Romans said by phone after the race. "The race at Keeneland was to get her ready for today. I thought she'd run better at Keeneland than she did, but I love it when a plan comes together. We've been waiting for her breakthrough race, and she gave it to us today."

Keen Pauline's win opens up a number of options for Romans. He said he had not yet decided on a next race for her.

Include Betty, who won the Fantasy Stakes at Oaklawn Park two starts back, dropped far behind the field early, as is her custom, and was about a dozen lengths off the lead after a half-mile. She rallied four wide into the stretch and was up for second by a half-length over Ahh Chocolate.

Ahh Chocolate, the second choice at 4-1, hopped in the air at the start to get away a step slow. She was then taken wide on the first turn.

Danessa Deluxe was fourth, a neck behind Ahh Chocolate.

tommy More than 1 year ago
The other day I was watching a horse race, and the horse on the rail banged his head on the rail and knocked off jockey !!! I was think my god, how dumb are these horses ??? Dogs are much smarter than horses !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree Tommy. Horses are stupid
G More than 1 year ago
Today AP will win the Preakness. He will get a dream trip, Firing Line will be too tired after running on the wrong lead throughout the derby. Then after AP wins and Tommy starts talking how he hit everything I will paste his statements and arguments about how AP will loose. Unless Tommy is a vet or therapist working with all of these thoroughbreds he has no clue of knowing any horses vo2x or lactic acid levels. He will maybe, finall just go away.
tommy More than 1 year ago
I only have AP in the pick 4 !!!!!!! Otherwise, I will have firing line, divining rod, and Danzig moon for first !!!!! Then for 2nd I will have Dortmund, AP, Danzig moon, divining rod, firing line , then for 3rd I will use same horses as 2nd plus tale of verve, then for 4th I will use ALL. In the pick 4 I will use firing line, divining rod, Dortmund, and American pharoah !!!!
tommy More than 1 year ago
I'm a exercise physiologist !!! That's why I'm an expert in calculating vo2 max !!!!
Horse racixmg is so fixed. I cant believe people actually give money tobthis racket.
Amanda More than 1 year ago
I started with my online business I earn $58 every 15 minutes. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don't check it out. For information check this site. ✒✒ WWW.TIMES-REPORT.COM
tommy More than 1 year ago
When you are ready to have fun with a real man let me know!!!!!!! I bet you can't handle me!!!!!!
Walter More than 1 year ago
AP fans do want a carbon copy trip that Luminence got today. He will definitely push for the lead in the Preakness
Steve Holiday More than 1 year ago
Bobby can't be happy with that, especially with the pedestrian pace
Walter More than 1 year ago
Sorry, meant to say do NOT want.
tommy More than 1 year ago
The payout was amazing !!!! This is one of the highest payout tracks along with Saratoga !!!!!! I can't wait for tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!
Michael Snyder More than 1 year ago
what payout tommy --You probably didnt have a 33$ horse on top and Doubt you have it to anyone tomorrow-Again all you do is CHIME in with your BS
tommy More than 1 year ago
I had 5 horses boxed in exacta !!!!! I put the best jockey in castellano in my opinion with the best closer in the race which is include Betty, then I put the horses with highest vo2 max which were pure, sweet grass and ahh chocolate !!!! Luminance had lowest vo2 max and is a loser!!! Read my posts and you will know in the future !!!!
Michael Snyder More than 1 year ago
Where are blackeyed susan to preakness double payouts available
DRFDunleavy More than 1 year ago
DRF Live live.drf.com
Tereso More than 1 year ago
Go to www.thedowneyprofile.com You will see the payouts there.
Kathy Meckley More than 1 year ago
1-43 2-96 3-531 4-253 5-797 6-935 7-183 8-78
Kathy Meckley More than 1 year ago
this was 5 minutes before posttime
Kathy Meckley More than 1 year ago
for 1.00 dd
Find them yourself. Dont be lazy
Vic Colson More than 1 year ago
Nice ride by Castellano who took advantage of a bunch of jockeys sleepin' back there. A stolen race, outta be a felony.
saratogajunkie More than 1 year ago
No way to handicap that.
Mark D More than 1 year ago
Agreed....
tommy More than 1 year ago
You missed my post!!!! I posted that luminance has a low vo2 max and will be out of the money!!!!! I loved ahh chocolate, sweet grass and pure !!!!!! Then I put the best closer in the race which was include better and then I put the best jockey in the race which was Javier castellano !!!! 5 horse exacta box for $1 coat $20 so I had exacta for $2 !!!!! It was an open race !!!!!!! When it's an open race, box all long shots and hope for the best!!!!! Tomorrow, all the turf races are open races !!!!! The Preakness is a 5 horse race!!!!!!
Ang More than 1 year ago
I guess Castellano has a high vo2 max. Time to get lost goof.
tommy More than 1 year ago
Nope didn't use vo2 max, but he is a good jockey who always pushes his horse to the max !!!!!!