07/05/2014 10:15AM

Jones galloping horses 11 weeks after serious riding accident

WILMINGTON, Del. – Larry Jones is back galloping horses at Delaware Park, albeit at a reduced level, 11 weeks after being involved in a serious riding accident that sent him to the intensive care unit at nearby Christiana Medical Center.

Jones was injured April 19 at Delaware Park when a 2-year-old he was aboard reared and bolted sideways, throwing him to the ground. Jones broke two ribs, bruised a lung, and most seriously, hit his head, which resulted in bleeding on the brain.

Jones resumed ponying horses about five weeks after the accident. He said Saturday he has been galloping horses for "about three weeks."

"It was by far the worst accident I've ever had," Jones said. "I'm getting on three or four horses a day. The most I've been on is six."

Prior to the accident, Jones said he would regularly gallop 12 horses a morning.

Jones' ribs and lung are healed, but he said he is still dealing with the effects of the head injury. Doctors have told him it could be six months before those symptoms subside.

"I'm ahead of schedule, but I realize things aren't like they were," Jones said. "It's hard for me to do paperwork. It's hard to concentrate sometimes. Like, if there is a disagreement at the barn, I just kind of lock up. I can't deal with it. Sometimes I just don't answer the phone. Sometimes I have to avoid everyone for a little while."

Galloping horses is one of Jones' favorite pastimes, and he said it helps him stay in touch with how the horses under his care are feeling.

"I really enjoy getting on the horses in the morning. It's my favorite part of the job," he said. "It helps me, especially with new horses, figure out how they're going, how fit they are."

Over the years, Jones, 57, has trained the following Grade 1 winners: the Horse of the Year Havre de Grace, the Kentucky Oaks winners Believe You Can and Proud Spell, Hard Spun, Island Sand, Kodiak Kowboy, Joyful Victory, and Wildcat Bettie B.

Jones said he is fortunate that his wife, Cindy, is such an intricate part of their stable and that she has been a tremendous help as he recuperates. Although the past few months have been difficult, Jones has kept his winning attitude.

"I just have to cowboy up and step it up," he said.

nick More than 1 year ago
He sounds like a great horseman and good hand on a horse. I used to be in the business myself. But at 57 you don't get up from a fall like you do in years past. My advise, in the next couple of years he may want to stick to ponying more and galloping less.
Kathie Roller-Stell More than 1 year ago
Nice guy, talented horseman. May you do what makes your heart sing forever :-)
Patricia Doyle More than 1 year ago
It's true you can't keep a good man down!! Can't keep a good cowboy down either. God Speed, Larry
DavidM9999 More than 1 year ago
Wonderful news for Larry and the horses! I am looking forward to a big summer from the Jones barn.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
John Newman More than 1 year ago
Pretty cold blooded. What happened, you lose a $5.00 double ticket to a Jones longshot?
Cindy Jones More than 1 year ago
What a mean spirited person. Larry is doing what he loves and doing it very well. What have you accomplished in this life?. Must be a very sad life to make such evil comments toward another human being
Jack H More than 1 year ago
Cindy Marvin has not a clue. Look at Larry's reaction to the loss of Eight Bells. His heart was broken. Shame on you Marvin !!!
Pariah More than 1 year ago
I believe Marvin is trolling.
Kathie Roller-Stell More than 1 year ago
I believe Marvin is a troll
Patricia Doyle More than 1 year ago
What? Are You Jealous of Larry? Sounds like you are.
P Cerv More than 1 year ago
He needs to ride, if you entered, and raced a filly in the Derby against the boys going a mile and a quarter, as a 3yo, you'd need to ride forever ! How else can you ever forget such a dreadful mistake ? Will never forget her standing at Churchill after running her heart out, going 1-1/4 mi. ....broke down!
Jack H More than 1 year ago
Dear Fool, Do you think Larry Jones would ever race a horse that was in danger of breaking down. If you think so you are on another planet. She finished second in the Derby for God's sake. She was ready to try the boys... and proved it.
Cindy Jones More than 1 year ago
Was Barbaro a mistake?
Victoria Keith More than 1 year ago
What an evil thing to say about anyone, much less one of the kindest, most decent men one could have the honor of knowing.
Michael Zeisler More than 1 year ago
great to have Larry back
Lefty More than 1 year ago
I am just happy to have you back, Larry!
DANCERS1FAN . More than 1 year ago
So glad you are doing better Larry! Be safe!
Stephanie Lambert More than 1 year ago
Larry , Dear God be Safe and hold on this time!