10/11/2006 11:00PM

Jockey's buzzer hearing postponed

Email

ARCADIA, Calif. - A hearing regarding allegations that Quarter Horse jockey Carlos Bautista was in possession of an electrical device during a stakes at the Los Angeles County Fair last month was postponed by Santa Anita stewards on Thursday after Bautista's lawyer asked for a continuance to investigate whether the rider could face criminal charges.

The California Horse Racing Board alleges that Bautista was in possession of an electrical device when he finished third aboard Royal Medallion in the $20,350 Pomona Quarter Horse Championship at Fairplex Park on Sept. 24. The CHRB filed a complaint against the jockey in late September.

On Thursday, Donald Calabria, Bautista's attorney, asked the stewards to hold the hearing at Hollywood Park later this year, after he has had a chance to contact detectives with the Pomona police department.

"What you've charged and alleged is a felony in the state of California," Calabria said. "We don't know if a criminal case is being filed.

"If there's going to be a criminal complaint, we should know that."

According to stewards Albert Christiansen, John Herbuveaux, and George Slender, Calabria expressed concern about a portion of the complaint that says a person that attempts to influence the outcome of a sporting event may face criminal charges.

Christiansen is a steward based at Los Alamitos, and is part of this hearing because Santa Anita steward Tom Ward was a steward at Fairplex Park last month. Ward was not part of Thursday's hearing.

Calabria said he would be in contact with Pomona police in coming days. A hearing with the stewards is tentatively scheduled for November or December.

Bautista, 37, rides primarily at Los Alamitos. He won the $159,000 PCQHRA Breeders' Derby aboard Ah Commotion on Oct. 6. He is best known as the rider as the former Quarter Horse of the year A Ransom.

Siren Lure drills for BC Sprint

Siren Lure, a top candidate for the Breeders' Cup Sprint at Churchill Downs on Nov. 4, worked six furlongs in 1:12.80 at Hollywood Park on Thursday, the quickest of nine recorded works at the distance.

Siren Lure won two major stakes for sprinters in California this summer.

Unraced since winning the Pat O'Brien Breeders' Cup Handicap on Aug. 20, Siren Lure worked alone and was ridden by Alex Solis.

"He's on his game right now," trainer Art Sherman said. "There were some horses in front of him working, so he had something to run at. They were eight or 10 lengths in front of him. He went fast enough."

Sherman thought that the final time over Hollywood Park's synthetic surface translated to about a 1:11 on a fast track at Santa Anita.

Siren Lure, who has a closer's style, is scheduled to leave for Kentucky on Oct. 24, in time to have a half-mile breeze at Churchill Downs, Sherman said.

Surf Cat still out of action

Surf Cat, an early-season leader in the handicap division, remains sidelined indefinitely, trainer Bruce Headley said on Wednesday.

Surf Cat has not started since winning the Grade 2 Mervyn LeRoy Handicap at Hollywood Park on Mayo13, his third stakes win of the year. Headley said that Surf Cat emerged from that race with a bruised foot. Surf Cat later resumed training, but was turned out when the injury resurfaced.

Headley said that Surf Cat also suffered from swelling in an ankle, which has since subsided.

The 4-year-old colt remains in Headley's expansive back yard near Santa Anita, the trainer said. The trainer said he has set no timetable for Surf Cat's return to racetrack training. Before Surf Cat starts training, Headley intends to have the foot and ankle X-rayed.

"His foot is all right, but his ankle filled up also," Headley said. "We thought we should let it settle down and cool."

Headley had hoped to have Surf Cat back for the start of the winter-spring meeting at Santa Anita in late December, but that may not happen.

"There's always races," he said. "You just have to make it back."

Owned by Headley's wife, Aase, and Marsha Naify, Surf Cat has won 7 of 11 starts and $562,420.

Super Image wins third straight

Super Image stretched his unbeaten streak to three races in an allowance race for statebred 2-year-olds on Wednesday, earning a trip to the $125,000 California Cup Juvenile here on Oct. 28.

Ridden by apprentice jockey Luis Martinez, Super Image led throughout, winning by four lengths over Street Lights, the 9-10 favorite. Super Image ran 6 1/2 furlongs in 1:16.85.

Owned by Edward and Theresa DeNike and trained by Lloyd Mason, Super Image ($9.80) has won his last three starts by multiple lengths. He won a maiden race at Solano by six lengths, and the Cavonnier Juvenile Stakes by four lengths at Santa Rosa.

The Cal Cup Juvenile will be Super Image's first start at 1 1/16 miles.