07/19/2014 5:46PM

Jockey Montanez hospitalized with multiple injuries

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. -  Jockey Rosario Montanez sustained multiple injuries as a result of a spill in Saratoga’s fifth race on Saturday and will remain hospitalized at least through the weekend, according to his agent, Mike Monroe.

Montanez suffered a moderate-to-severe concussion, a right rib fracture, a slight fracture of his left pelvis,  and he had lacerations over his left eye and on his face, according to Monroe. Monroe added that a CT-Scan came back clean.

Monroe said that Montanez will remain in Albany Medical Center “for a couple of days” for evaluation.

Montanez was injured when his mount, Piquant,  brushed with Be Bullish nearing the far turn of a seven-furlong dirt race. Piquant stumbled badly, unseating Montanez,  who appeared to get hit by one if not two trailing horses.

Montanez was attended to by track paramedics and was removed from the track on a stretcher and taken directly to Albany Medical Center.

Montanez won 11 races from 120 mounts at Belmont’s spring/summer meet, his first riding on the New York Racing Association  circuit.

Lillian Heller More than 1 year ago
My accident was Sept. 25, 2005 on the track at the San Diego Polo Club. I was taken to the ICU at Scripps Memorial Hospital, La Jolla where I remained in a coma for 32 days. I was wearing a Lexington Helmet, the same one featured in the video that follows showing the crash-testing procedures for Riding Helmets. For more info, Google: Lillian Heller Polo Zone and Lillian Heller Polo San Diego. Here's the video: http://www.extension.org/mediawiki/files/3/37/Helmet_video_astm_seiiPod_Hi.mp4
Lillian Heller More than 1 year ago
I had an accident on the track at the San Diego Polo Club, Sept. 25, 2005. Although I was wearing a Lexington Helmet, the same one featured in the video that follows showing the crash-testing procedures done on Riding Helmets, I spent the following 32 days in a coma. For my story and continuing adventures with Traumatic Brain Injury, Google: Lillian Heller Polo Zone, and Lillian Heller Polo San Diego. Here's the video: http://www.extension.org/mediawiki/files/3/37/Helmet_video_astm_seiiPod_Hi.mp4
Boyd Cord More than 1 year ago
Albany Medical center is a hike.
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
once again im not saying this was the case in this incident i did not see it.but a lot of the culpability for these accidents goes to the jockeys and the stewards who allow them to get away with dangerous riding ..
grayposse More than 1 year ago
Guess I will go over to the Paulick Report where at least I can read some articles.
Edward Nelson More than 1 year ago
49 articles available in the top tracks section today and this is the only article available to read for free. This site is getting greedy
FESTUS ELROY More than 1 year ago
Any word on the jockey Amador that went through the fence stretch run at Sacramento 7th race Sunday?No word on this site .
Hail No More than 1 year ago
I think I heard possible concussion and other injuries, that's all I heard (TVg), post back if you find out more.
Bugsy Anderson More than 1 year ago
Watched the replay..... that horse was totally spooked.
Rodney More than 1 year ago
Quite right...
Rick Huston More than 1 year ago
you people who post these negative comments.....wish it was this jock or this jock...you are sick ba...dts ... and one more comment to anonymous.....I guess you never heard of off track betting and simulacasting.....where the bets go into the pool and they may not show up til the gates open...manipulating the pay outs...absurd....speedy recovery for Jockey Montanez... hope the outcome turns out well
raymond More than 1 year ago
They are sickos, I'm glad you spoke up. God Bless you.
I've heard of otb and simulcasting (which you can't even spell ). You believe in honest gambling all you want. But that won't make it so.
Rick Huston More than 1 year ago
if u don't believe in honest gambling .....then don't bet....
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Gene Cirillo More than 1 year ago
HOGWASH!!!
Joyce Johnson More than 1 year ago
So painful to watch. Praying for a speedy and full recovery.