10/24/2013 12:11PM

Jay Hovdey: Teddy's Promise letting owners enjoy a fairy-tale ride

Benoit & Associates
Teddy's Promise wins the L.A. Woman Stakes at Santa Anita on Oct. 5 in her final Breeders' Cup prep race.

The fairy tale could have come true last year, and everyone would have written and raved about how the first Thoroughbred whom Ted and Judy Nichols ever sent to the races jumped up to win a Breeders’ Cup event. Clouds of flowers would have descended upon their horsey hideaway in the hills east of Oceanside, Calif. Their grouchy American bulldog, Boomer, would have let strangers approach to pay tribute. The avocado orchards would have brought forth unmatched bounty and vintage guacamole.

But that did not happen. Their Grade 1 stakes-winning filly Teddy’s Promise set the pace in the 2012 Filly and Mare Sprint to the top of the Santa Anita stretch and then gave way to finish eighth in the field of 10, far behind the victorious Groupie Doll. The fairy tale would have to wait for another day.

That day could be next Saturday, when Teddy’s Promise goes postward against a dozen or so of her quickest contemporaries in the $1 million Filly and Mare Sprint.

“Ron says she’s a different filly this year,” said Ted Nichols, echoing his trainer, Ron Ellis. “He’s brimming with confidence. And you know Ron – it’s unusual for him to act that way.”

True enough. The Ellis approach can be described as deeply conservative, characterized by an ability to wait with a horse, then take a deep breath and wait some more. When Ellis’s horses get good, though, they get on a rocking-good roll, as evidenced in recent years by his work with Rail Trip and Include Me Out, who both hit the board in Breeders’ Cup races last year.

Now in her third season with Ellis after learning the ropes from Dave Hofmans, Teddy’s Promise won the Santa Monica Stakes at Santa Anita and a minor stakes at Betfair Hollywood Park early in 2013, then got a midyear break before returning to win the minor L.A. Woman Stakes at Santa Anita on Oct. 5.

“I get to be a nervous wreck as a race gets near,” Judy Nichols said. “I remember driving to Santa Anita to see her in a terrible storm last winter. I couldn’t believe we were running. All the way there I was saying, ‘You’re going to kill my filly!’ ”

Ted Nichols just smiled.

“She won by five,” he said.

The Nicholses were sitting in the den of their hilltop home with Sam Nichols, Ted’s son from a previous marriage, surrounded by mementos of not only the career of Teddy’s Promise but their shared love for show dogs that brought them together 26 years ago. Their breed of choice was the Great Dane.

Judy is from Indiana, transplanted to the West Coast as a child, while Ted was born and raised in Pasadena, Calif., in the shadow of Santa Anita Park. His father took his son racing often.

“When he came through Ellis Island from Italy, they looked at his name, Frederick Nicholas Pontarelli, and made it Fred Nichols,” Ted said. “He kept it that way because in those days it was easier for a man to get work if his name didn’t sound like he was right off the boat.”

The first racing memories usually burn the deepest, and it was no different for Ted Nichols, who had a front-row seat at the historic 1950 Santa Anita meeting as a wide-eyed 12-year-old.

“Ponder was the horse I really liked,” he said, referring to Calumet Farm’s 1949 Kentucky Derby winner. “I watched him run against Citation and Two Lea. Then there was Noor, who beat them all.”

A Gleam, another Calumet ace, came along soon after.

“When we ran Teddy’s Promise in the A Gleam Handicap at Hollywood Park, I said to Ron Ellis that I bet I was the only one there who saw A Gleam run,” Nichols said. “Ron said, ‘Ted, you got that right.’ ”

Nichols was still in his teens when he had a fling with show business, singing with the Jack Fina Orchestra and later with Lionel Hampton’s All-Stars. But he got homesick for California, and that’s where he eventually made his mark with the multimillion-dollar sales and marketing company that bore his name.

It was just five years ago that the Nicholses sold their SunRun Kennels in Newport Beach and bought the Oceanside property, revitalizing its acres of neglected fruit trees and dilapidated residence into a boutique horse farm. At the same time, they bought the Capote mare Braids and Beads from the Mabee family’s Golden Eagle Farm, in foal to Salt Lake.

“I fell in love with her pedigree,” Ted said. “Seattle Slew on top and Alydar on the bottom. I had to have her.”

It didn’t hurt that Alydar, the damsire of Braids and Beads, was a grandson of the Calumet mare Plum Cake, a foal of 1958 by Ponder.

“That’s the great thing about talking breeding with my dad,” Sam Nichols said. “He’s been a student of the game for so long that when you talk about a horse in a pedigree, he can tell you what that horse looked like in the flesh.”

Teddy’s Promise hit the ground at Golden Eagle in 2008, sporting the dark brown coat of her dam. She’s now won more than $800,000, and with her major victories and sturdy pedigree, she’s already earned a date with Smart Strike next spring in Kentucky.

“We know how lucky we are with a small operation,” Ted Nichols said. “Everyone likes to point to us and say, ‘See, if it can happen to them ...’

“I think she’s going to run very well,” he added. “But then, we could never be disappointed with her.”

Marc More than 1 year ago
Teddy’s Promise set the pace in the 2013 Filly and Mare Sprint to the top of the Santa Anita stretch and then gave way to finish eighth , far behind the victorious Groupie Doll. History repeats itself.
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
Its funny my fiance picked this horse 2 years ago when he beat Sugar in the Morning, who I picked. We did an ex box and cashed huge. That was the last time he was a price until BC. He got so good after that race. Nothing before that.
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
Anne Castle More than 1 year ago
I have heard a lot about Teddy's Promise and her owners from mutual friends of Mr. and Mrs. Nichols. They are class acts who love their horse and the game. Ron has done a super job with her conditioning. I really enjoyed Jay's article about this lovely couple. Mr. Nichols has a great horseracing foundation from going with his dad and actually seeing the cream of the crop during an incredible time in racing. At least in horse racing, politics doesn't enter in as it does with dog shows. I am sure this has been less frustrating in one sense. Good luck to them and Teddy's Promise in the BC.
John More than 1 year ago
ANYONE know when the BC Form is coming out ! DRF is a FIASCO ..............I see the new editors are Larry , Moe and Curly !
John More than 1 year ago
As always , if she draws outside, then she has a big shot ! Im not afraid of Groopie Doll, its Book Review that I see rolling down the stretch . I have a feeling Baffert is going to have a monster day. I think Fed Biz is going to be double tough in the mile, hes going to run Fast Bullet or Secret Circle in the sprint, of course :"the Dude" will be tough.......................plus he has a couple 2yr olds that are going to jump up !
Amy Hurley More than 1 year ago
Lukas has trained Fast Bullet since the summer. But I agree, Baffert could have a really big 2 days at his home track. Of course, I think that every year, and then we have a year like last year, with major disappointments in Game On Dude, Executiveprivilege, etc. Good luck to the Baffert barn.
Teddy is a big lovely girl and can be so sweet, but when it's race day she's a whole different girl. Ted and Judy are very sweet people and to watch them with her is a delight. You are so right, Ron takes his time, we have a little joke about that around the barn, but he has the results to back it up. I'll be there cheering on one of my favorite girls, if she wins it couldn't happy to a nicer group of people.
Gary More than 1 year ago
I'm with MD23; it is a tough field and should be the case for a BC race; but I think Teddy's Promise has a great chance, and at 10-1, is the place where my money will land.
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
She needs to draw outside. She hates being inside of horses. She runs like a beast when she sits outside of her competition.
MD23 More than 1 year ago
Great story! Another great piece by Jay Hovdey. GLAD WE DON'T HAVE TO GET DRF+ to read his works! I'm sick of it: there needs to be a change! I'm not paying a penny for it no matter what. It would be great to see Teddy's Promise win a Breeders Cup race for these folks. They seem like good, solid people and it's so much easier to root for these types of people than some of the ego-maniac owners we see in this sport. I happen to think she has a great chance and is one of my picks especially if she can get an outside post position. She's known to be claustrophobic so if she's outside, the better. Should get a good stalking trip. Good luck to Mr. and Mrs. Nichols!
liberalsuck123 . More than 1 year ago
This is the 21st century. You want all that top coverage for free? Really? And what new jounalists would be attracted to DRF in the future if there were no revenue to pay them. Wake up. DRF is THE source and I for one don't mind the fee
liberalsuck123 . More than 1 year ago