12/24/2012 9:37PM

Jack Klugman, actor and racehorse owner, dead at 90

Jack Klugman, star of stage, screen, and television, and also a Thoroughbred owner, died Monday in Los Angeles at the age of 90, according to an Associated Press report. No cause was given for his death.

Klugman, an avid racing fan who was a long-time regular at Southern California tracks, was most noted in the Thoroughbred world as the owner of Jaklin Klugman, a modestly bred colt who finished a close third in the 1980 Kentucky Derby, defeated just two lengths by the filly Genuine Risk. He was then a well-beaten fourth in the Preakness behind Codex.

Klugman’s celebrity gave the horse notoriety, but Jaklin Klugman did his share, having a stellar second half of the year in 1980 and narrowly missing the sprint championship when defeated by eventual sprint titlist Plugged Nickle in a hard-fought battle in the Vosburgh.

Jaklin Klugman got his name after a mixup involving the horse's gender. Asked in 2010 about the incident, Klugman told the Daily Racing Form: "My partner" -  John Dominguez - "tried to humiliate me by naming the horse after me. So we called the guy at the ranch, and he said it was a filly - how would you like to have that guy in charge of your sex life? So he named him Jaklin Klugman."

Known for his raspy voice, which worsened after suffering from throat cancer in the 1980’s, Klugman was probably most recognized for his roles on television as sportswriter Oscar Madison on the “Odd Couple” and the title character in the crime drama “Quincy, M.E.” He was particularly fond of Madison, saying, "He was my favorite character. I loved this guy. He was me. Sloppy but clean and a woman chaser."

Klugman is survived by his wife, Peggy; his sons Adam and David; and two grandchildren. Funeral arrangements were not immediately announced.

Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Such is life.
JEFF GAHAN More than 1 year ago
What a great track guy. Saw him interviewed before the1980 derby and he had the crowd in stitches with stories about his racing experiences. Poked fun at his trainers and eventually at himself. Anyone know a venue for old Odd Couple episodes?
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
The U and WCIU series of syndicated channels runs old episodes of the Old Couple each day. I know they are carried on Comcast/Xfinity, Dish Network and Direct TV. Sorry, I'm not sure if they are carried by other cable/satellite outlets. If you have one of those three you should be able to find showings of The Odd Couple. They have a website too, so if you can't find them on cable/satellite, you should be able to find info about The Odd Couple showings on their website. Hope this has been helpful to you.
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
You could also buy episodes of The Odd Couple. Amazon.com sells them, as do many other places.
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
Jack Klugman was a wonderful actor. I still watch him once in awhile in reruns of "The Odd Couple" with Tony Randle. And I still think we would not have "CSI" and all of it's other iterations if Jack Klugman had not been so convincing as "Quincy, M.E.". That show created a whole new genre of television shows. Mr. Klugman was also an ardent horse racing enthusiast. I remember as a kid seeing his horse, Jacklin Klugman, win a stakes race on television, and Jack Klugman jumping up and down, beaming, so proud, when his beloved horse won that race. No man could have been prouder. We're going to miss you, Mr. Klugman. Thanks for the wonderful memories. Rest in peace.
C More than 1 year ago
RIP Oscar Madison who was a hero to me growing up as a kid. NY Sportwriter, gambler, and overall cool guy.
I loved that character and the show. I grew up in Oakland but thanks to shows like the odd couple and barney miller NY became a familiar place. Klugman was, also, in twelve angry men, and probably deserved a best supporting "oscar" for that role. Does anyone know where Klugman grew up? I assume New York.
Nick Arden More than 1 year ago
R. I. P. Oscar Madisoy.
noalaistoday More than 1 year ago
RIP to a great actor and fantastic supporter of the racing game. DRF should be ashamed of this OBIT. As a national figure, horse owner, fan and fellow plunger he deserves much more from the game he loved.
kenneth b More than 1 year ago
RIP Jack,never to busy to stop and say hello,ask me how my mother was doing and usually if I liked anything in today,LOL racing lost an icon and one of the true gentlemen of the sport ,although he may have been rough around the edges no one ever showed more true class ,RIP BUDDY,KENNY
Alfred Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
I saw Jack once at Santa Anita. He had wagered on a horse that was involved in an inquiry and in stereotypical degenerate gambler Oscar Madison form he was cursing the stewards when his horse was taken down.
JDS0810 More than 1 year ago
That's part of the game. Nobody likes when their horse gets taken down. Have you even been to a football, basketball or baseball game? Are people degeneragtes for thinking that a ref makes a bad call? Shocking that you would post something like this about a man who just passed away. Loser.
Pom De Terre More than 1 year ago
what a lowlife comment jds
David LaKari More than 1 year ago
When I used to go to the Kentucky Derby in the late 70's and early 80's I always ran in to Jack on the 3rd floor at Churchill Downs a very down to earth and pleasant man to talk to.
frankambessi More than 1 year ago
Oscar Oscar Oscar say hey to Felix and RIP My Friend:)