09/08/2014 12:21PM

Increased purses lure big-name jockeys to Kentucky Downs for Wednesday card

Bold Kitten matches up with the other top contenders in Wednesday's ninth race at Kentucky Downs.

One look at the names of the jockeys who will be in action on a 10-race Wednesday card at Kentucky Downs suggests that something’s up.

Purses are up – way up, with a $102,000 allowance anchoring the program – which is the main reason Kent Desormeaux, Calvin Borel, Rosie Napravnik, Julien Leparoux, Robby Albarado, Corey Lanerie, and a host of other top riders will make a day trip to the turf-only track in south-central Kentucky.

Counting also-eligibles, a whopping 132 horses are on the program, which is highlighted by four straight allowances (races 6-9) with minimum purses of $100,000 (half of which are restricted to horses eligible to the Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund).

The $102,000 allowance (race 9) that serves as the nominal feature carries a second-level restriction and typifies the entire day with its wide-open look. Whoever the favorite might be among the oversubscribed lineup of fillies and mares, she seemingly can’t be anything lower than 3-1. The race goes at a mile and 70 yards.

:: Kentucky Downs: Get PPs, watch Wednesday's card live

Post time for the first of three straight Wednesday cards is 1:35 p.m. Central, with the ninth race set for 5:35.

The richest card of the five-day meet is set for Saturday, with four stakes led by the Grade 3, $600,000 Kentucky Turf Cup. Entries were to be drawn Tuesday.

KEY CONTENDERS

Bold Kitten (Last 3 Beyers: 62-75-80)

◗ The Illinois homebred matches up Beyer Speed Figure-wise and otherwise with the other top contenders and has been competitive on several occasions when trying to get through this condition.

◗ Owners Ken and Sarah Ramsey won a record nine races last fall at Kentucky Downs and intend to have plenty of action throughout this meet.

Bitty Kitty (Last 3 Beyers: 85-85-66)

◗ The chestnut filly took 10 tries to win a maiden race, but now she’s on a roll and will be seeking a third straight victory when well drawn toward the rail.

◗ Trainer Brendan Walsh, a former assistant to Eddie Kenneally, shows solid percentages with these layoff types (19 percent) and with repeaters (20 percent) over the past year.

Faerie Queene (Last 3 Beyers: 49-81-79)

◗ She has yet to run back to that terrific first-level score on the Kentucky Derby undercard, but if you throw out that Indiana stakes defeat in the slop and take a hard look at her May 17 and July 5 efforts, she looks as good as any of these.

Seanchai (Last 3 Beyers: 77-80-75)

◗ She has gone winless in nine tries since being turned over to Tom Proctor, but this English Channel mare continues to help out the exotics players, having racked up nine seconds or thirds from 22 career starts.

Brandon More than 1 year ago
up to I looked at the check saying $4286 , I didn't believe that my mom in-law realey receiving money parttime at their computer. . there friends cousin has done this for under twenty two months and resently cleared the dept on there condo and purchased Chevrolet . official website,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, www.YuJobs.Com
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Maya Joffe More than 1 year ago
you are such a spammer.
frostitute More than 1 year ago
tell us more.
James G Romano More than 1 year ago
"REALEY receiving...' You should move in with her. Maybe she can correct your 'Shpelink" there friends cousin,, resently ?? Which is your first language,lingo,idioma,lingua? Not only is this a bs spam,but with all of these elementary errors? Go back to ' Knight Schrool' !
Cleon Silence More than 1 year ago
I think it is a bit of a stretch to call this bunch of jocks "big name" I would rate this bunch as average
John Stevelberg More than 1 year ago
Actually the "stretch" is of decent length with an uphill bias which plays to those steeds with superior stamina.
Pagani Zonda More than 1 year ago
Agreed. Only Lanerie, and Albarado are two I like on that list anyways. The others are either washed up, or over hyped..Cough Rosie Cough....
Mel More than 1 year ago
you sir are the reason i bet horses....easy pickins
Chance Moquett More than 1 year ago
You just deemed the #7 jockey in the world (out of over 1,500) "over-hyped". Laughable.
Pagani Zonda More than 1 year ago
#7?? Based on whose rankings?, wins?, earnings?....
Pagani Zonda More than 1 year ago
#7 in the USA not the world hero.
Pagani Zonda More than 1 year ago
90% of the time I don't bet a horse because of the rider. I have bet Rosie's horses before and she made some terrible deciisions that cost people money. I dont personally hate her so don't make this out to be a personal attack. I don't like her as a rider. Gender aside. It;s gamblers like you I like beating simply because you seem to love basing your wagers off of who rides the horse. The only thing a jock can do id make sure they give their horse the best trip possible to exploit their best. A jock can hurt a horse more then help during a race.
Dom DiNatale More than 1 year ago
Why the sexism?? She could sit on the horse backwards and be better than half the jockeys out there. There is no need to bash Rosie every time....if you're that insecure get yourself a pit bull..that usually helps those of you with one that TOO small
Pagani Zonda More than 1 year ago
Sexism? She can't ride. Emma Jayne Wilson can teach that one how to ride like a champ. Sexism..ya ok.
Pagani Zonda More than 1 year ago
In case you forgottrying to be a hero to women...I don't like desmormeaux or Boreal either... guess I am sexist towards them right?
Lynn Spencer More than 1 year ago
The only thing small here is your brain...
Samantha Lobdell More than 1 year ago
I can think of at least one jock way more overhyped than Rosie (And where is she hyped anywhere? I lost track of how many horseplayers I see making a big deal out of NOT picking anything she rides, even when she's winning). Anyone remember the Rosario-mania that took over the racing press last year and just kept going? Even when he burned out over the summer, then hurt himself and wasn't riding at all? I finally gave up TVG, the only horse racing channel we have out here, because they spent more time reading Rosario's resume than they did talking about any races going on.
tim blake More than 1 year ago
surely people understand that your 'rating' of these jockeys has nothing to do with whether or not they are, in fact, big name jockeys, which they are.
harpharper . More than 1 year ago
Tim, "Which they are" in your opinion.
Pagani Zonda More than 1 year ago
We'll that was YOUR opinion wasn't it? M0ron
Caliman More than 1 year ago
WE want full fields. Unless your a hard core serious gambler , then I can see why you might be ok with short fields with great horses. But for the casual better like me, I like full fields and love the mental game of trying to find overlays where we can make some money. That is why even though I live in Orange County, California, I usually bet the Midwest and eastern tracks. Gulfstream for example has large fields and even Laurel has great Saturday cards with large fields off and on turf.
Bruce Epstein More than 1 year ago
Wake up other racing venues, this is what we want to bet on. I don't care if your full of Grade 1's with 5 and 6 horse fields. It's full fields, evenly matched we want. Wake up. Why is CD looking to close?
Randy Atkins More than 1 year ago
where did you hear that CD is looking to close?
Mike More than 1 year ago
Bruce, I too love these full fields. But it should be pointed out that they only have these full fields because the meet is so short. If they had to run more dates, and weren't able to stockpile their Instant Racing proceeds, they wouldn't be able to offer such huge purses. The big purses drive the large fields. If they had to spread these purse dollars over a month long meet, it's pretty safe to say that the purses would be much lower. I don't like the product at Churchill now either, but comparing Kentucky Downs to other tracks is truly comparing apples to oranges.
Pagani Zonda More than 1 year ago
Kentucky Downs will only get bigger and bigger. They need more Distance turf races. Maybe a 2 miler. They will boost their purses more in the next few years. this could be a special meet. Maybe they can get a Breeders Cup win and you're in for the BC turf, or The Juvenile Turf races.
Shawn Britton More than 1 year ago
One of the best values in racing. Period
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
I love the cards at this track. I did great opening weekend there. The pay on the early pick for 50 cents was great. Low takes and full fields a players dream.