Updated on 06/10/2012 5:00PM

I'll Have Another scratched from Belmont Stakes and retired with a tendon injury

Paul Reddam and Doug O'Neill (right) console each other after announcing I'll Have Another will not run in the Belmont Stakes.

ELMONT, N.Y. – Someday there may be another Triple Crown winner, but it won’t be I’ll Have Another.

In news that was as shocking in its timing as for its substance, I’ll Have Another was not only scratched from Saturday’s Belmont Stakes, but was retired from racing with an injury to the tendon in his left foreleg, his connections announced Friday.

I’ll Have Another joins Burgoo King (1932) and Bold Venture (1936) as the only horses to have won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness, but not compete in the Belmont.

I’ll Have Another’s scratch from the Belmont also means that Thoroughbred racing’s Triple Crown will go unclaimed for a 34th consecutive year. Affirmed, in 1978, was the sport’s 11th and most recent Triple Crown champion.

“I’m afraid history is going to have to wait for another day,” J. Paul Reddam, owner of I’ll Have Another, said at a somber press conference on the Belmont backstretch. “We tried to be quiet, but I really thought he was going to run off and really show something.”

Reddam and trainer Doug O’Neill said that I’ll Have Another would need three to six months off before he could resume training. Further, there was no guarantee that he would be able to return to the top level of competition.

“We’re all a bit shocked, but we have to do what’s best for the horse,” Reddam said. “If he can’t compete at the top level . . . he’s done enough.”

O’Neill noticed swelling in I’ll Have Another’s left foreleg Thursday afternoon, but with treatment the swelling subsided. O’Neill sent I’ll Have Another to the track at 5:30 a.m. Friday – three hours earlier than usual – where he jogged and galloped.

Back at the detention barn, where I’ll Have Another has been stabled since Wednesday, O’Neill noticed the swelling had returned. He summoned Dr. James Hunt, a New York-based veterinarian to the barn. Hunt did a nuclear scan, which revealed the beginnings of a tendon injury.

The injury is not a bowed tendon, one where horses would often need a year or more away from the track to return. It is not life-threatening.

“A bowed tendon you actually have a large lesion in the core of the tendon,” O’Neill said.  “This is the beginning of a tendon. Could he run and compete? Yes. Would it be in his best interest? No.”

As Friday’s press conference began, I’ll Have Another was led out of the barn by O’Neill to be seen by the press. He later grazed as O’Neill and Reddam spoke.

Later, it was announced that I’ll Have Another would lead the post parade for Saturday’s Belmont Stakes.

Larry Bramlage, the on-call veterinarian for the American Association of Equine Practitioners, said by running in the Belmont I’ll Have Another would exacerbate the injury.

“The tendon is a biologic cable,” said Bramlage, who did not examine the horse. “He has a few fibers that are injured now. If you run on them, more fibers [will be injured]. It’ll be like unraveling a cable or a rope. It increases the strain, and he’s got to go a mile and a half.”

O’Neill said I’ll Have Another would return to his base at Hollywood Park on Monday. His connections will sort out stallion plans at a later date.

About two hours before the press conference, O’Neill, in a brief phone interview with Daily Racing Form, called the injury to I’ll Have Another “a huge disappointment. At the same time what a horse, what a run. Though it’s heartbreaking, it’s not tragic. We’ll be back with another one, hopefully next year.”

On the advice of Dennis O’Neill, Doug’s brother, Reddam purchased I’ll Have Another for $35,000 out of the 2011 Ocala Breeders Sales 2-year-old in training auction. The horse was purchased for $11,000 as a yearling by Victor Davila, a former groom who works as an exercise rider for Eisaman Equine in Florida.

I’ll Have Another won his debut at Hollywood Park on July 3, before finishing second to Creative Cause in the Grade 2 Best Pal at Del Mar in August.

On his first trip to New York, I’ll Have Another finished sixth in the Grade 1 Hopeful run over a sloppy track at Saratoga, a race from which he emerged with bucked shins.

He didn’t make his 3-year-old debut until Feb. 4, when he upset the Grade 2 Robert Lewis Stakes at odds of 43-1. He would win the Santa Anita Derby by a nose over Creative Cause before running down the speedy Bodemeister in both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes.

All four of those wins for I’ll Have Another came with the unheralded jockey Mario Gutierrez aboard.

When asked what I’ll Have Another meant to him, Gutierrez said, “He’s my hero.”

Gutierrez was to be aboard I’ll Have Another during Saturday’s post parade.

O’Neill and Reddam held an afternoon press conference outside Barn 2, the detention barn set up to house all the Belmont Stakes horses.

On Wednesday, O’Neill had to move the horse from Barn 9 – where he had been stabled since May 20 – to the stakes barn.

“Some people have asked if I thought the detention barn had anything to do with this,” O’Neill said. “Absolutely not. It’s a freakish thing.”

John Sabini, chairman of the New York State Racing and Wagering Board, was responsible for setting up the detention barn. It was set up primarily because of O’Neill’s 2010 violation for one of his horses having excess level of carbon dioxide for which he was given a 45-day suspension by the California Horse Racing Board.

“The decision to scratch I’ll Have Another is disappointing, but Doug O’Neill and Mr. Reddam put the welfare of the horse first, showing true horsemanship,” Sabini said in a statement. “Despite the fact that a Triple Crown winner will not be named this year, we look forward to an exciting and safe Belmont Stakes.”

The scratch of I’ll Have Another will likely leave Dullahan, the third-place finisher from the Kentucky Derby, as the probable favorite for the Belmont.

Though confident his horse could beat I’ll Have Another, Dale Romans, trainer of Dullahan, said it was “devastating” that he’s not in the field.

“It makes our job a little easier, but I wanted to compete with him,” Romans said. “It would have been a special race to win with him in there. It’s still going to be a great race, but it would have been one for the ages if he was in there.”

In 1995, D. Wayne Lukas had to scratch Timber Country, who had won the Preakness, from the Belmont the day before the race due a temperature. Lukas won that Belmont with Thunder Gulch, who had won the Kentucky Derby but finished third in the Preakness.

Lukas, who was scheduled to run Optimizer in Saturday’s Belmont, said he felt “terrible” for O’Neill.

“I know how he’s feeling to come this close and to have arguably the best horse – that’s the thing,” Lukas said. “I think everything being equal, you had to give him the nod of being the best horse.”

Whether he was worthy of winning the Triple Crown, we’ll never know.

– additional reporting by Jay Privman

Joe More than 1 year ago
I have becerheard such idiocy in my life. The horse got hurt and it would take 3 to 6 months to get him ready again which would mean moore than likely he'd miss the Breeders Cup Classic and defeintely miss the big races in the summer. As said as this is they did what's right for the horse period.
Larry Kaufman More than 1 year ago
most of these people posting here have no clue about horse racing,they come out during the triple crown and breeders cup and then disappear. anyone who thinks they are faking injury is a total jackass.winning the triple crown wold double or triple whatever his stud fee is now going to be.
Karin B More than 1 year ago
Well let see they didn't run the horse because of money. If they would of run the horse and he broke down on the race track and had to be put down they would of been greedy and didn't have the horse's best Intrest in mind don't you think we had enough break downs in racing..
r barnes More than 1 year ago
Obviously he should be scratched. But to retire him because he has the beginning of a tendon injury just shows they are only interested in the syndication money. Smarty Jones began his stud career at $100,000 stud fee. This year he stands for $7,500.They want to make as much money as possible before he is exposed as just an ordinary stallion.
Steven Daggett More than 1 year ago
That has absolutely nothing to do with weather they never run him again or retire him at 5. They will not find out if he is a good stud until after results. Stupid is stupid remark
Angie Albarez-Alberts More than 1 year ago
You folks don't know how delicate these animals truely are and you know nothing about Doug O'Neil as a man, I know both, Doug's issues with the CHRB have never been for performance drugs and he is a true horseman in every since of word. Paul & Doug did absolutely the right thing un retiring this horse at this time. He would need to have no stress on his tendon for the next 3-6 months the beginning to train very slowly and lightly for several months then heavier training at best he would not ready to run until late May early June next year, why not retire while he's on top and start using him for stud!
Pacman More than 1 year ago
For a minute I thought I was at Yahoo with some of these assinine comments.
Shella Miller More than 1 year ago
My take..The sport of horseracing has been, since day one, about competition and money. It's inception didn't come from horse beauty pagents or pony rides.....So, for the connections it's about the $. By the way, thanks O'neil for publicly proving that fact with your "cash cow baby!" comment at the Preakness post race interview with Costas on national tv. For betters, jockeys, racetrack workers, backside workers, it's about the $. And that, in itself, is not a bad thing......I am just assuming that most of us are upset with the tactics that are involved in getting the mighty $. For example, whether I paid 30K or 3M for a horse, I want my horse to win! What measures would I take for my horse to win? There's where the split of moral and immoral practices begin. The US is notorious for doping. There are no heavy regulations in every state. Doug O' got caught...most don't. So if I know that most of the other horses are being "treated" for soreness, and my horse is sore also, then what do I do??? I want to win!! Well, me personally, would move my barn to Europe where this crap is not allowed period.... Everyone has their personal opinions on the IHA spectacle. Some think the horse is perfectly fine and was pulled out because the connections didn't think he could do it for a 3rd time, but waited till the last minute to go public for the xtra $ and attention, while putting more value on the horse at stud. Some think that the horse was truly injured, whether it occurred after Preakness or yesterday. And knowing that Doug O' couldn't work his temporary "magic" because the team was being heavily monitored, decided to pull the horse out and put on their animal activists faces. Makes good publicity for a trainer who's had way too many violations in his career and was the primary reason why the Belmont Stakes horses were moved into in a dentention barn, which angered more than a few trainers. Whichever the truth, team IHA aren't going to lose anything, except for he unsuspecting fans who eventually become aware of the truth.
My recommendation: 1. lose the drugs across the board, so horses all run fairly. Test at every race track for every race. My heart goes out to the horses who don't even realize their sore or hurt due to the dope and end up breaking down when they run. It has been proven that the US and Mexico have the highest incidence of break downs. Europe and some other countries that are highly monitored have only a fraction of our numbers..... 2. increase the rest periods between the triple events. Thanks for reading my rambling. Just needed to say what I think..good and bad. Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!!
Derek Getty More than 1 year ago
t's interesting that it's always the horse in the limelight. Why isn't it ever one of the other horses that pulls up on the corner or one of the other horses that pulls out the day before the race? We all want to believe everything we see and hear but these days you just can't. There are so many liars and cheaters. When money is involved, they all come out of the woodwork. All of the horses that aren't favorites, are just fine. Go figure.
Steven Daggett More than 1 year ago
It's not that all other horses are fine ding bat It is that there is only one horse that was going for the triple crown. Also on the remark of Doug Oneil. The horse that was in question on the doping charge was not even his horse, but he did run it under his name for someone so is is responsible. Why do you think he had been cleared of any charges. The rules are 45 days automatic so he was slapped with that.
Judy Shepard More than 1 year ago
There is no reason to bring him out....just gonna make him want to run. going to hurt him worse
Mark More than 1 year ago
some of therse comments are totally absurd. it does show that any idiot can say anything online.
Steven Daggett More than 1 year ago
Never said better
Ernie Silman More than 1 year ago
Oh and by the way the horse don't know how much they paid for him.
mike mckenzie More than 1 year ago
one more example of horse racing killing itself...that is clear...it's NY racing that wants to rule...the only state that rick dutrow train in...the only finger i have to point and blame is to NY