09/06/2013 11:36AM

I Want Revenge to stand at Pauls Mill

I Want Revenge, winner of the 2009 Wood Memorial, will stand his first season at stud in 2014.

Grade 1 winner I Want Revenge will enter stud next year at Ben and Elaine Walden’s Pauls Mill Farm in Versailles, Ky., marking a return to the stallion business for that operation.

The 7-year-old son of Stephen Got Even, who last started in January 2012, will become the first stallion for Pauls Mill since the 2011 season. That summer, WinStar Farm – operated by Elliott Walden, younger brother to Ben Walden – acquired an interest in all four young sires at Pauls Mill, relocating Artie Schiller, Bellamy Road, U S Ranger, and Summer Bird.

“I love falling in love with a stallion,” Ben Walden said. “I count it a privilege to support a stallion with a lot of our own mares, and to infuse ideas and passion into his marketing. I Want Revenge is a game-changer. He had freak talent as a racehorse and is the best-made horse conformation-wise that I have ever retired to stud. His Grade I Wood Memorial win was truly unforgettable.”

Ben Walden also hinted that a second stallion could join the Pauls Mill roster for 2014.

"I have an exceptional partner in I Want Revenge in [attorney] Pat Madden, and we currently have a second horse in mind,” Walden said. “We have been buying mares of late and Pat enjoys the symmetry of being involved in both sides of the business."

I Want Revenge won the Grade 3 Gotham Stakes and Wood Memorial to stamp himself as the morning-line Kentucky Derby favorite. However, breeder David Lanzman and co-owner Michael Iavarone’s IEAH Stables scratched the colt the morning of the race with an ankle injury that kept him out of action for over a year.

I Want Revenge did not win again, but recorded four additional stakes placings. He retired last year with three wins from 14 starts for earnings of $928,000. Following a legal dispute between Iavarone and Lanzman, the former bought the latter out, and the colt concluded his career running for the partnership of IEAH, Resolute Group Stables, Puglisi Racing, Michael Dubb, and Mark Frimmel

I Want Revenge is out of the stakes-winning Roy mare Meguial, who finished second in both the Argentine Oaks and Argentine 1000 Guineas. A stud fee will be announced at a later date.

Walter More than 1 year ago
Is iavarone out of the business? I hope so, he was bad for racing.
Meydan Rocks More than 1 year ago
They should have sent him to Bill Mott. Period.
DavidC More than 1 year ago
Hey , the tricks of the game in the breeding business is one of deception, and over rating of the product!.I hope that he'll do some good in the stud cause after the wood M, well, he wasn't much of a runner after the one race wonder. It's possible that he'll bred some decent runners and prosper as a stallion. Good luck to his connections.
Michael Griffiths More than 1 year ago
He was the story of envy, on the part of the Ivarone, and it back fired.
not impressed More than 1 year ago
I still say this was one of the most mis-managed runners in some time. SO much potential at 3, and then wasted.
So true. It seems that legal hassles adversely affect the careers of horses. This was a lovely horse whose performances leading up to the Derby were stellar. So disappointed that he never came back and I truly hope this is the move which breathes new life into his horsey career.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
not impressed More than 1 year ago
Summer Bird ended up in Japan, Artie Shiller and Bellamy Road are still at Winstar and I'm not sure where US Ranger went as I haven't seem him on Winstar's roster.
not impressed More than 1 year ago
Found him, US Ranger stands at Winstar. Too bad about Summer Bird. We keep losing our potentially good Belmont winners to Japan. :-(
Tom J. Cassidy More than 1 year ago
That I Want Revenge was scratched from the Derby continued the strange trend that no horse has yet won a Gotham-Wood-Derby triple. Native Dancer couldn't do it, nor could Secretariat.