05/07/2010 12:00AM

I Want Revenge has troubled first work back


ELMONT, N.Y. - Very little has gone smoothly for I Want Revenge since he won the Wood Memorial more than 13 months ago, so why should his first workout since April 2009 be any different?

I Want Revenge, now in the barn of Richard Dutrow Jr., returned to the work tab Friday, breezing three furlongs in 38.25 seconds on Aqueduct's main track under exercise rider Gustavo Rodriguez. But the work was far from routine.

Break Water Edison, another horse trained by Dutrow, had just completed a workout prior to I Want Revenge breaking off. A few strides past the finish line, however, Break Water Edison, took a couple of bad steps and fell, suffering a broken shoulder. He had to be euthanized.

In the stretch, I Want Revenge had to be taken off the rail by Rodriguez and guided several paths off the inside in order to complete his breeze. Rodriguez said he heard the siren signaling a loose horse or injured horse as he was about to begin his work.

"When I heard the siren, I was looking for the loose horse," Rodriguez said. "When I didn't see it I said, 'let me go ahead and breeze.' When I came into the lane, I said this isn't going to be any good."

Though Rodriguez had to let up on I Want Revenge, the colt still completed his final quarter in 25 seconds.

"Gustavo said he's all right, we'll breeze him again in a few days," Dutrow said.

Friday's work is another step in the process of I Want Revenge returning to the races and possibly to the form that made him the morning-line favorite for the 2009 Kentucky Derby. I Want Revenge, trained by Jeff Mullins last year, shipped in from Southern California to win the Grade 3 Gotham impressively. Owner David Lanzman sold half-interest to the IEAH Stables of Michael Iavarone after that race and the horse overcame a severe stumble at the start to win the Wood Memorial on April 3.

The morning of the Kentucky Derby, it was announced that I Want Revenge would have to be scratched from the race due to an ankle injury. Problems between Lanzman and IEAH ensued, with each party filing a lawsuit against the other. Eventually, all suits were dropped and IEAH bought Lanzman out of his interest in the horse.

During the litigation process, I Want Revenge was recovering from ligament damage to the ankle. In March, Dr. Larry Bramlage gave clearance for I Want Revenge to resume training. He joined Dutrow's Aqueduct stable in early April and trained for more than a month before Friday's breeze.

Dutrow said he hopes to have I Want Revenge ready to run in six weeks. Dutrow believes I Want Revenge could return to the form he displayed as a 3-year-old.

"If the injury doesn't re-occur, I don't know why not," Dutrow said. "He's young enough where he can still be a force. If he was 8 years old coming off this layoff, you might not think so, but he's 4 years old. If this thing doesn't bother him, everybody's expecting him to reach his form."

Meanwhile, Break Water Edison broke his shoulder after he shied away from the shadows cast by the grandstand on the track just past the wire, according to Dutrow.

As a 2-year-old, when trained by John Kimmel, Break Water Edison won the Grade 3 Nashua Stakes at Aqueduct. Transferred to Dutrow earlier this year, Break Water Edison won a second-level allowance race on April 18 but came back five days later to finish last in a third-level allowance.

Eightyfiveinafifty misses workout

Eightyfiveinafifty was on the track at the same time as Break Water Edison and I Want Revenge and was scheduled to have his first workout since finishing fourth in the Derby Trial on April 24. But when it took nearly 30 minutes to get Break Water Edison off the track, trainer Gary Contessa opted to cancel the breeze.

"I called it off, it wasn't important," Contessa said. "I didn't want him sitting out there for 20 or 25 minutes. I could have had him break off from a different pole, but he would have been in a full head of steam by the time he got to all that stuff."

Instead, Eightyfiveinafifty jogged once around Aqueduct's main track and visited the starting gate. Contessa said he would breeze Eightyfiveinafifty over the weekend, though rain was forecast for Saturday morning.

Contessa said he is considering the Grade 2, $250,000 Woody Stephens, a seven-furlong race for 3-year-olds on the undercard of the Belmont Stakes card.

"I thought he came out of the race in Kentucky a little on the tired side," Contessa said. "He's shown signs of life the last few days. As long as he continues that forward progress, we'll go to the Woody Stephens though it's not etched in stone."

Contessa said Castaneda, the New York-bred 3-year-old who won the Fred "Cappy" Capossela Stakes on March 6, resumed training Friday after kicking the back of the stall wall a few days after he finished last in the Withers Stakes on April 24.

"I thought he broke something or bowed a tendon," Contessa said. "We got really lucky."

Contessa said Castaneda would be pointed to the $100,000 Mike Lee Stakes here on June 20.

Acorn possible for Streaker

Streaker, a half-sister to the deceased Pine Island, ran her record to 3 for 3 on Thursday with a 2 1/4-length victory in a second-level allowance race here Thursday. She ran a mile in 1:38.98 and earned a Beyer Speed Figure of 84.

Trainer Shug McGaughey said he may have to consider running her in the Grade 1 Acorn here on June 5.

"I hate to throw her to the wolves that quick, but I may not have a choice," McGaughey said.

Streaker began her career with a four-length maiden win at Gulfstream on Feb. 20 and came back five weeks later to take a first-level allowance race by three-quarters of a length, also at Gulfstream.

"I think she's going to be better [going] long," McGaughey said.

More legal trouble for Arroyo

On Friday, jockey Norberto Arroyo was scheduled to be sentenced in Saratoga County Court on a cocaine possession charge stemming from last summer, but he failed to show up for sentencing because he was in a Kentucky jail, stemming from an arrest warrant in Florida, according to the Glens Falls Post Star.

According to the paper, the warrant is related to an aggravated battery charge in Ocala, Fla. The paper quoted an official at the Kenton County jail saying that Arroyo had waived extradition and was to be picked up by Florida authorities soon.

Arroyo was the leading rider on this circuit in 2000, but his career has been tainted by numerous run-ins with the law. He served 39 days in jail in 2003 after being convicted of second-degree assault charges stemming from a pool-hall incident in 2002.

Arroyo has been banned from participating in racing in New York and New Jersey.

* Maylan Studart, who won Friday's first race with Next Day, has retained Rob Whitlock as her new agent.