05/31/2013 3:36PM

Hollywood Park: Silentio resting till Del Mar

Benoit & Associates
Winner of the Grade 2 Sir Beaufort Stakes, Silentio is getting a break until Del Mar.

INGLEWOOD, Calif. - Silentio, who won the Grade 2 Sir Beaufort Stakes at Santa Anita in December, will not start in the $300,000 Shoemaker Mile on June 29 and will be pointed to the Del Mar meeting this summer, trainer Gary Mandella said.

Silentio was fifth behind 2012 Horse of the Year Wise Dan in the Grade 1 Maker’s 46 Mile at Keeneland in April and has not had a workout since that race.

“He deserves a little break,” Mandella said earlier this week.

Earlier this year at Santa Anita, Silentio was third in the Arcadia Mile and second in the Grade1 Frank Kilroe Mile, losing both races to Suggestive Boy, another candidate for Del Mar’s major turf stakes. One possible turf race for Silentio and Suggestive Boy at Del Mar is the $200,000 Del Mar Mile on Aug. 25.

Friday night racing

Hollywood Park will conduct the only night-racing card of the meet Friday, July 5, beginning at 7:05 p.m.

In past years, the track has run Friday night programs on most weeks of the spring-summer meeting, but largely abandoned that plan for the current meeting.

In a statement, the track billed the July 5 program as a final chance to attend Hollywood Park during the evening. A concert will be held after racing, but the band has not been announced.

Track officials announced in May that Hollywood Park will be closed for development after the fall meeting later this year.

◗ Hollywood Park will have an early post time of 11 a.m. for the June 8 program, which features simulcasting of the Belmont Stakes program from New York.