07/08/2012 4:11PM

Hollywood Park: Gutierrez plans to ride at Hastings this summer

Shigeki Kikkawa
Jockey Mario Gutierrez rides Quiet Oasis to victory in Saturday's Grade 2 Royal Heroine Stakes.

Jockey Mario Gutierrez, who rose to national prominence after winning the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes with I’ll Have Another, said Sunday that he plans to ride sparingly, if at all, during Del Mar.

Gutierrez said he will ride at Hastings Park, with occasional trips to Emerald Downs.

Gutierrez expressed frustration at his lower number of mounts in recent weeks. He traveled on the weeks of the Triple Crown, but has been based at Hollywood Park in the last month.

“I only ride a couple of horses every day,” he said before the races Sunday.

Through Sunday, Gutierrez had won six races from 70 mounts at the current meeting, which began on April 26. By comparison, leading rider Rafael Bejarano had won 70 races from 231 mounts.

Gutierrez said he could ride stakes at Del Mar, if asked. Of his six wins at the current spring-summer meeting, two have been stakes on Quiet Oasis – the Grade 3 Wilshire Handicap in April and the Grade 2 Royal Heroine Stakes on Saturday.
Quiet Oasis is owned by Paul and Zillah Reddam who raced the now-retired I’ll Have Another. Doug O’Neill, who trained I’ll Have Another, said he wants Gutierrez at Del Mar.

“Paul and I are going to strongly urge Mario to stay,” O’Neill said on Sunday evening.

According to Hastings-based owner Glenn Todd, for whom Gutierrez rode first call at Hastings, Gutierrez has several stakes mounts lined up at Northlands Park, Hastings, and Emerald Downs this summer. He is scheduled to ride Regal Betty for trainer John Sadler in the $50,000 Kent Handicap for 3-year-old fillies at Emerald Downs Sunday; Commander Todd in the $50,000 Spangled Jimmy at Northlands July 21; St Liams Halo in the $50,000 Mt. Rainier Handicap July 22 at Emerald; and either St Liams Halo or Taylor Said in the Grade 3, $200,000 Longacres Mile at Emerald Aug. 19. Gutierrez also will ride at Hastings on B.C. Cup Day, Aug. 6.

A native of Mexico, Gutierrez, 25, began riding in Southern California last fall, having become one of the leading riders at Hastings Park in recent years. He said he may follow a similar schedule this year.

“I’ll be back, hopefully, for September for the Santa Anita meeting,” he said.
– additional reporting by Randy Goulding

HandicapperErni More than 1 year ago
I guess hed rather be a big fish in a small pond is correct. I guess if he had stayed here he wouldve had to pay his dues here. It wouldve taken him awhile to make it here maybe a few years. But maybe hes use to more wins than loses i guess. You know it takes time to make it here in so.cal. for example, martin garcia was a success when he first came here and then declined for a couple of years but baffert put him on winners and got successful again. Now garcia is a go to rider in so.cal again. Chantal sutherland is an example of juggling back and forth. When she first came onto the scene in so.cal she did well but had to make a descion at the time to either go to woodbine in canada or stay in so.cal. she chose to stay here. For a couple years she juggled woodbine and california until joining so.cal full time last year. It wouldve tooken her awhile to make it here if she had stood here full time in the first place. By now she wouldve probably been a top 5 rider. However since she has a modeling career going on right now and her business is slow right now. It appears the trainers she rides for dont really think she takes her riding career seriously. If she quits her modeling career and focuses on riding then she should have more success than what shes getting.
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
Vancouver is Mario's home, he feels comfortable at Hastings. Besides, his main benefactor at Hollywood right now will not have horses racing again until Santa Anita. Mario will be back for Santa Anita racing. It's going to take time for Mario to catch on, be a top go-to jockey for trainers/owners, and to get the mount on the better horses. A powerful agent helps in that. Mario's win Saturday on Quiet Oasis in the Grade 2 Royal Heroine was a very good one. Going back to Vancouver is always therapeutic for Mario. I wish him good luck at Hastings, Emerald Downs and when he returns to Santa Anita.
Dawood K More than 1 year ago
John, Bob, Anonymous ! Forgive me if I dont agree with you Sir ! I love smoking cuban, never bet on dog races and not interested in publishing either. I rather use that doe on betting exotics and straight long shots. With my winnings I travel, fish, and bet online as I go all over world. Again, I appreciate your call.
Well, Dag, I have to say that while I haven't smoked dope in decades, I was quite the buzz lord. Thai, Kush, good old Colombian Gold back in the 70s. But reading your comments here and below I realize how much I must have missed never smoking Cuban. Truly perception bending. Also, would love to find a betting window that accepts rabbits or deer as legal tender. No, but seriously, Dag, while I'm not going to pretend I buy anything any trainer or owner tandem sells me on the purity of the sport or any given horse, allegations the sort of yours need a cleaner, more razorlike line between speculation and supposition. The strip was doped? Hardly. You'd be better off arguing that it was "misdirection", and even then, in this case, sir, you would be wrong.
STEPHEN MERCIER More than 1 year ago
perhaps Woodbine would be the best place for Mario?
Maria Kern More than 1 year ago
This kid has got a lot of potential. I think he should go to the east coast to race. Going back to Hastings or staying in California is not good for his career. There are too many jockeys and not enough horses in California. All he needs is a good agent to become a leading jockey.
James Madden More than 1 year ago
Ivan Puhich is the jocks agent...WW2 Hero Been around a long time and Every bod Knows Ivan.......Travel Kills ur buisness......Ask Gomez......And The Kid would be lost in NY......No connections......Hes comfortable at Hastings......Can Improve there..Pretty bad for Ivan to hear this stuff......Alot of people Have no idea.......All the stake winners Hwe got for the Kid..
James- California may have a short field problem, but as a regular handicapper, *everyday* regular, I have seen lesser jocks on mounts that deservedly should have gone to others, with Mario being among those "others". You talk of the "many" Stakes mounts upon which Mario has been booked. Four of I believe 8 stakes runners was I'll Have Another, and another three entries represented by the turf horse Quiet Oasis. And seriously, back in February who was lobbying hard to ride the horse with a history of leg issues coming off an injury and a poor Saratoga effort 6 months prior? Talamo, Bejarano, Rosario, Espinoza, Nakatani, Martin Garcia all had mounts in the Lewis. GoGo was out and Mike Smith was booked for Baffert's horses. Mario fell into the mount. IHA went off at 45-1 and Mario rode him like a champ (and earned my unflagging gratitude). Mario may not have booked himself but that mount fell into his agent's lap and he made the most of it. I respect anyone who has been with the game as long as Ivan, especially one who could probably still kick my ass. But it was serendipity more than any other factor and Mario extended his good fortune with heady riding. Redundant but true: There are lesser jocks getting mounts that ought to go to Mario or Kevin Krigger. Fair or not, when this happens the first direction in which many look is the agent. After that, there are other issues...
anonymous More than 1 year ago
Good God Mario, go east! Ride at Belmont or Monmouth Park, all the good jockies are going there. You'd pick up valuable experience in that crowd of jockies. Or try Saratoga. Move around, make use of your fame. Maybe a race or two in Britain or France. Be a guest star.
He'd be low man on the pole at Saratoga, a little better at Monmouth or Parx. Going back to Hastings shows he's got a good head on his shoulders. Instead of fighting tooth and nail for mounts in crowded colonies, he'll have a comfortable late summer in Canada. He can refocus his energies on the Santa Anita meet.
Patricia Doyle More than 1 year ago
Why in the world would you say go East. Maybe Saratoga but I think California breds especially two year olds are up and coming. I will look forward to seeing Mario ride at my adopted hometown track, Santa Anita. People also seem to overlook the mid-Atlantic region such as Delaware Park, Monmouth, and Parx, Penn, Colonial Downs, Charles Town etc. There are plenty of good horses and plenty of good tracks not just Belmont, Aqueduct and Saratoga and some might lump in harness track of Yonkers. If he is comfortable enjoying the Pacific Northwest US/Canada circuit, more power to him. Ride well my friend, and be safe wherever you choose to ride, Mario. Godspeed
steve szymanski More than 1 year ago
It doesn't take genius to ride the best horse. If all you complainers remember that - you would win more often at the track.
Earle Forbes More than 1 year ago
Are u serious? Have you ever ridden a horse in a race. I can almost guarantee u would crap your britches just leaving the gates at top speed not knowing what the other horses in the field are going to do. Dont know what u do for a living but it cant be anything that requires much brain power
myjockwon More than 1 year ago
Mario should give ron anderson a call before returning to Hastings. he's only got one rider an maybe he can take another. THEN WILL SEE HOW GOOD A AGENT HE REALLY IS.
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
reddam not only is a GREEDY B***RD,! he also stole a chance for a TRUE UNDERDOG to have a shot at GREATNESS!!!
steve szymanski More than 1 year ago
Why is he greedy??? Why don't YOU go tell your boss that you will work for less money. Money is money, right? Here's an idea - Go take the cange in your pocket and use it to buy a better life.
Jerry More than 1 year ago
reddam made the modern day american decision......CHERRY PIE ,ICE CREAM AND RUN WITH THE MONEY... if iha wins he is worth 30 million more ,losem and he s worth 30 million less..YOU be the judge......
Susan Huart More than 1 year ago
Mario is just another victim in the whole IHA deal for Reddam. Its like the poor horse never made it to Belmont with the Derby or Preakness win already in his saddle. No wonder horseracing is a dying sport. Everybody is treated badly, especially the horse.
Earle Forbes More than 1 year ago
Idiotic comment considering the horse was withdrawn with his interest at heart. Remember Barbaroo!! This horse started at 19-1 odds in the derby, that just shows what all you experts thought about him a couple months ago. He went from there to the super horse expected to compete in the the third and most difficult leg of the triple crown with a bowed tendon? Cmon maan!!
MaryAnn Donahue More than 1 year ago
IHA did not have a bowed tendon! Exaggerating or distorting facts makes any post less credible.