12/01/2013 8:25PM

Hollywood Park: Egg Drop by a nose in Matriarch Stakes

Benoit & Associates
Egg Drop (right) beats Discreet Marq by a nose in the Grade 1 Matriarch Stakes at Betfair Hollywood Park on Sunday.

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Egg Drop has a flair for the dramatic. A winner of her two prior starts, both Grade 2 stakes, by a head each time, she earned her first Grade 1 win Sunday at Betfair Hollywood Park in the final running of the $250,000 Matriarch Stakes, prevailing by the slimmest of noses over Discreet Marq.

Egg Drop ($23.20) surprisingly was allowed an uncontested lead through fractions of 23.86 seconds for a quarter-mile and 47.26 for a half-mile. Discreet Marq engaged her into the lane and got past her at midstretch, but Egg Drop re-rallied in the closing yards while along the rail under jockey Martin Garcia.

Discreet Marq finished a half-length in front of Better Lucky, the defending winner of the Matriarch. Dayatthespa was fourth and was followed by 9-5 favorite Tiz Flirtatious, Wishing Gate, Pianist, Stormy Lucy, and My Gi Gi.

Egg Drop completed one mile on firm turf in 1:34.03, with a final quarter-mile in 23.51 seconds.

“I let her break on her own, and no one went with me,” said Garcia, who said Discreet Marq “went by really easy, but my filly came back” when he switched his whip to his right hand.

“She doesn’t like to win by much,” Garcia said.

The Matriarch was the third straight win for Egg Drop, and the combined margin of those wins is not even a half-length. She has won six times in 12 starts and earned $494,020 for the Little Red Feather partnership.

Egg Drop, 4, is a daughter of Alphabet Soup. She is trained by Mike Mitchell.

“At the eighth pole, I thought she was beat, but I was still thinking of how proud I was that she was hanging in there, and then she came back,” Mitchell said. “She likes to fight.”

Mitchell has spent decades at Hollywood Park and said winning the final Matriarch was special.

“A Grade 1, for these clients, with Hollywood closing, yes,” Mitchell said. “She’s got to be worth a lot more as a broodmare now when they retire her, but hopefully that won’t be for a while. A mile for her is perfect. This is so much fun.”

Donna Carlson More than 1 year ago
Gritty game performance by the winner. Congratulations to the connections. Egg Drop was a gift on a other wise tough day. She really ran to form, if you look at her last few races. The times didn't lie she was apparently that good. How she flew under the radar I don't know but yeah!
Matt Banchero More than 1 year ago
Tough Weekend....singled Alpha Bullet in my late pk 4 on Saturday and had $100 to win on Discreet Marq and singled him in my last pk 4 yesterday.........still feeling the effect of the tough beats
Matt Banchero More than 1 year ago
"Her"
michael More than 1 year ago
cant believe 11/1 on such a nice runner. cannot belive no one trying to save hollypark.
martymar . More than 1 year ago
I'm still kicking myself in the head for going with 7 - Pianist instead of 2 - Discreet Marq to finish second in my tri.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
Happy for Little Red Feather Stable. I know you guys turned down some good offers hoping to win a grade 1. Nice to have dreams come true. From Lou to everyone else. Congrats. And loyalty to Mitchell is rewarded as well.
Dave More than 1 year ago
What a great race. I don't know what happened to Pianist, she was never involved. Figured her to run a big one from close up with Mike Smith.
Jordan More than 1 year ago
Count me as somehow who had incorrectly underestimated Egg Drop's talent, and most of all, her heart. That was a really good field she beat(4 other grade 1 winners). But getting an uncontested 47 and change lead certainly helped.
Jordan More than 1 year ago
Egg Drop looked absolutely down in midstretch. Still not sure how Discreet Marq didn't finish this race off. But congrats to ED and Martin for their brave efforts. Hard not to be reminded of that 96' Classic when A Soup grimmly fought off a wall of horse from between horses to win glory.
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
She's every bit as gritty as her dad and looks like him too. Love to watch her race even if she beat me today. What a fighter.
Bob Rose More than 1 year ago
I am absolutely thrilled for Trainer Mike Mitchell. He's been through some pretty rough times, but there's no meds that could compare to the joy he has to feel knowing he had ED tuned perfectly for this major win. Doggone good ride from Martin Garcia as well. He's such an under rated rider.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Martin should be a first call rider. He has won Baffert last TC race and Breeders Cup races