12/07/2013 8:42PM

Hollywood Park: Broken Sword gets loose on lead to capture Bayakoa

Benoit & Associates
Broken Sword, ridden by Joel Rosario, earns her first graded stakes victory in the Grade 2 Bayakoa.

INGLEWOOD, Calif. - Broken Sword was allowed an easy lead in Saturday’s $151,000 Bayakoa Stakes at Betfair Hollywood Park, and carried that advantage to her first graded stakes win.

Ridden by Joel Rosario, Broken Sword ($17.80) ran 1 1/16 miles in 1:42.98, winning the Grade 2 Bayakoa Stakes by 4 1/4 lengths over even-money favorite Fiftyshadesofhay, who raced in traffic to the turn.

“We wound up on an uncontested lead and I didn’t expect that,” winning trainer Jerry Hollendorfer said. “That contributed to her win.”

Broken Sword set a decent pace of 23.33 and 46.53 seconds, leading by as many as four lengths on the backstretch. The lead was reduced to 2 1/2 lengths over 40-1 Champagneandcaviar on the turn before Broken Sword pulled away again late.

Fiftyshadesofhay, a three-time stakes winner earlier this year, closed from eighth in a field of nine fillies and mares to finish second, 5 1/2 lengths in front of 7-2 Warren’s Veneda.

“She broke crooked and got shuffled back to almost last,” said Bob Baffert, who trains Fiftyshadesofhay. “She ran a really good race.”

Warren’s Veneda, the winner of the Cat’s Cradle Handicap for California-breds here on Nov. 17, was followed in the order of finish by Champagneandcaviar, Curvy Cat, Spellbound, Magic Union, Charm the Maker, and Charlie Em.

Broken Sword races for Hollendorfer, Mark Dedomenico, and George Todaro. A 3-year-old filly by Broken Vow, Broken Sword won her debut in the Juan Gonzalez Memorial Stakes at the Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton, Calif., in July 2012.

“When she broke her maiden, we thought she could be any kind of horse,” Hollendorfer said.

Broken Sword did not start again as a 2-year-old. This year, she was winless in five allowance races or optional claimers before winning an optional claimer over a mile on the synthetic track at Golden Gate Fields on Nov. 10.

The Bayakoa Stakes was the graded stakes debut for Broken Sword, who has won 3 of 8 starts and earned $156,660.

Readefol439 11 months ago
★★★★★★★★★★★★★ $9­­­­­­­­­7­­­­­­­­­/­­­­­­­­­h­­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­p­­­­­­­­­av­­­­­­­­­iv­­­­­­­­­d­­­­­­­­­v­­­­­­­­­ b­­­­­­­­­y G­­­­­­­­­oog­­­­­­­­­le­­­­­­­­­, I­­­­­­­­­ am ­­­­­­­­­making ­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­good salary ­­­­­­­­­from ­­­­­­­­­home ­­­­­­­­­$5500­­­­­­­­­-­­­­­­­­­$7000/week , ­­­­­­­­­which ­­­­­­­­­is amazing, ­­­­­­­­­under ­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­year ­­­­­­­­­ago ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­was ­­­­­­­­­jobless ­­­­­­­­­in ­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­horrible ­­­­­­­­­economy. ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­thank ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­God ­­­­­­­­­every ­­­­­­­­­day ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­was ­­­­­­­­­blessed ­­­­­­­­­with ­­­­­­­­­these ­­­­­­­­­instructions ­­­­­­­­­and ­­­­­­­­­now it's ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­my ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­duty ­­­­­­­­­to ­­­­­­­­­pay ­­­­­­­­­it ­­­­­­­­­forward ­­­­­­­­­and ­­­­­­­­­share ­­­­­­­­­it ­­­­­­­­­with ­­­­­­­­­Everyone, ­­­­­­­­­Here ­­­­­­­­­is ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­started,,,­­­­­­­­­ w­w­w.j­o­b­s­8­3.C­o­m ★★★★★★★★★★★★
noalaistoday 11 months ago
Wow.a free article. Thanks DRF, sure is sporting of you. You are such Hippocrates. You pontificate about the race tracks gouging their customers but it is alright for you to try and gouge what are quickly becoming former customers such as my self. I am getting along fine with my daily industry news via Bloodstock and TDN. I have stopped buying the printed form and will not download PP's. Brisnet is just fine and actually better.
Vinod Jhangimal 11 months ago
Of course this story is going to go straight into "most popular" because it is the ONLY free news story that appears on the home page of DRF. DRF, I can't emphasize this strongly enough: YOU GUYS HAVE BECOME AN ABSOLUTE JOKE AS A NEWS ORGANIZATION. You want to show the semblance of having free articles when in actuality I would guess that more than 60 percent of your articles are for paying customers, and in this case, over NINETY percent. I sincerely hope you guys reconsider this whole DRF Plus nonsense because the amount of ill will, negative sentiment and even more negative publicity it has caused amongst the people who use your services in a non-day-to-day fashion far outweighs whatever economic gain you all are achieving. You guys are one step away from becoming a footnote in online news. That step being: the day bloodhorse.com starts allowing its visitors the ability to post on their articles.
Anonymous 11 months ago
On principal I would never spend a dime at DRF. There is nothing I like about the paper. Especially the $7 printed copy or the 4.50 for formulator.
Vinod Jhangimal 11 months ago
The thing is, that I do. Whenever I am in USA I make it a point to go to the track that has racing in my área; generally Gulfstream or Calder. I always buy the DRF printed copy when I go to the track, but the reason I do so is because I am on vacation. Otherwise I don't go to the track, nor do I bet, except for the Road to the Triple Crown, the TC cards themselves and the Breeder's Cup, but I do like to keep abreast of the news regarding horse racing in general. I have a very limited "disposable" income and will not consider paying for a monthly service when I have to limit my expenses in order to bet to my heart's content at those aforementioned times of the year. I guess that the 500-600 bucks I spend year on betting isn't worth a dime to the industry, because all they want to cater to are the ones that spend 10g's or more per year.
Anonymous 11 months ago
DRF is just a greedy operation. They are selling the PPs for $7 when they are worth $2.00 at most. The Formulator is worth $1.50 and they are selling it for 4.50 when it cost them nothing to make.
PioneerNile 11 months ago
Profit, profit and more profit.....DRF are greed ....
Jordan 11 months ago
The lead was "easy" in that it was uncontested. But it was not easy in terms of fractions; Broken Sword set totally legit fractions, consistently about 5 lengths faster through the early marks than the Starlet before finishing in a final time a full 2 seconds(10 lengths) faster than the Starlet. Broken Sword's form was completely muddied by 4 largely unproductive turf starts. In 4 dirt and synth starts, she is now just a couple of necks away from being perfect, and she's won her three maintrack races by an average of 7 lengths. In my opinion, she's more promising than other recent Bayakoa winners from the Hollendorfer barn, Washington Bridge and even Lady of Fifty(won gr.1 Clement Hirsch this year). Fiftyshadesofhay is a very consistent, genuine runner. She isn't an elite talent, and tends to be more of a grinder. But with the exception of one turf race, she's brought a solid run in each start this year, good for 3 graded stakes wins and now 5 additional graded stakes placings(3 in gr.1s). As such, Hay is a good barometer. Today, Hay wasn't really able to show her best, having been shuffled back on the 1st turn. Yet, even if one acknowledges that Hay had at least 2 lengths of trouble, that would still mean Broken Sword was around 2 lengths best. Hay lost to Pure Fun in the Indiana Oaks by 2.5 lengths, Princess of Sylmar by 2.5 in the Alabama, and 3 and 3.75 lengths in two early season grade 1s against Beholder. That makes Broken Sword at least competitive against those 3 grade 1 winners(although Beholder has become scarey good).
rahman Williams 11 months ago
4 length lead at half mile point, is a Public Workout.
michael 11 months ago
why is this article free?
Amy Hurley 11 months ago
And the Starlet recap article is DRF+ ?. Doesn't make any sense, but nothing about DRF+ makes sense for the fans and players.
Anonymous 11 months ago
It was not that much of an article. Imagine trying to charge for this article. How about that guy dave whatever who does Aqueduct. That guy has not come up with a winner that pays more than $6.00. Yet, he is on drf+. Who would ever pay for what he gives out.
Dave 11 months ago
Fiftyshadesofhay was not even money more like 11-10
nick 11 months ago
DEAR Dave 11-10 IS even money. The next increment up is 6-5, which is 12-10. DUUUUHHHH ! ! !
nick 11 months ago
Of course, I'm talking about what can be displayed of the Tote board . . .