07/04/2012 8:03PM

Hollywood Park: Blueskiesnrainbows takes Swaps by going slow early, fast enough late

Benoit & Associates
Blueskiesnrainbows (right), under Joe Talamo, holds off Nonios by three-quarters of a length in the Swaps.

INGLEWOOD, Calif. - A slow pace in the first half of Wednesday’s $150,000 Swaps Stakes at Betfair Hollywood Park gave Blueskiesnrainbows a comfortable one-length lead, but did little to convince jockey Joe Talamo that the race was over.

“We were walking,” Talamo said. “I didn’t know if that was slow enough the way the track has been playing. Not too many horses have been winning on the front.”

Blueskiesnrainbows set fractions of 48.18 seconds for the half-mile and 1:12.88 for six furlongs. A slow third quarter-mile of 24.70 seconds helped sustain his advantage to the finish.

Blueskiesnrainbows led by two lengths with a furlong remaining and held off a late threat from Nonios to win the Grade 2 Swaps Stakes by three-quarters of a length.

“I waited until he switched leads to ask him,” Talamo said.

Owned by Bad Boy Racing and Whizaway Farms and trained by Bob Baffert, Blueskiesnrainbows won his first stakes in the Swaps. Earlier this year, he was third to Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner I’ll Have Another in the Santa Anita Derby in April, but a dull ninth in the American Turf Stakes at Churchill Downs on May 4.

Blueskiesnrainbows had a break of two months before the Swaps, the top race for 3-year-old males at the Hollywood Park spring-summer meeting.

Blueskiesnrainbows ($9.60) ran 1 1/8 miles in 1:50.89.

Nonios, the winner of the Grade 3 Affirmed Handicap on June 3, closed  from sixth in a field of seven to finish second. The loss frustrated jockey Martin Pedroza.

“I rode him with too much confidence,” Pedroza said. “I should have been closer.

“The way the track has been playing, I stayed behind. I gave him too much to do.”

The Baffert-trained Liaison finished third as the 2-1 favorite, closing  from last. Rousing Sermon was fourth, followed by Called to Serve, Empire Way, and All Squared Away.

Blueskiesnrainbows has won 3 of 8 starts and $221,242. The winner of a $30,000 claiming race for maidens in January, Blueskiesnrainbows won a starter allowance in February, his most recent win before Wednesday.

JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
Nice win, Blueskiesnrainbows! This looked like the same horse who showed up for the Santa Anita Derby, and he did a fine job in the Santa Anita Derby. Bob has done a good job bringnig him along. It's great to see BSNR progressing so nicely. It's going to be fun see him progress more as the months go along. Good job, Blueskies!
Jack More than 1 year ago
If you don't say NICE things about BOBBY BAFFERT BODIE, this CREEP of a monitor will DELETE it. So, I love you BOB, you are the BEST Trainer that EVER walked the Earth .I'm so proud of you, ALWAYS giving CREDIT to your STAFF( sorry that's Doug O'neil).I really ENJOY trying to figure out which of your two Horse's your going to POP with. Yes,I ALWAYS to to the longer priced one, that's your M.O. Hall of Fame Trainer, I JUST love hearing Vic Stauffer say it after EVERY race..hall of fame, in the SAME breath as BOBBY FRANKEL...I think "NOT"......
Paul Patane More than 1 year ago
he just got beat.
Paul Patane More than 1 year ago
I'm a fan of Nonios, caught him 2 back in a sling shot stretch move in his maiden breaker. I liked Pleasantly Perfect horses, he very tall and stout. Another wire to wire deal by Bob Baffert, its amazing. Nonios next could ship east for Haskell or Jim Dandy, but I woild imagine another prep before Pacific Classic at Delmar. I dont think Pedroza made a mistake, he had to head 4 wide turning for home, and then was very game. He just got back.
This guy was only half a length behind I'll Have Another in the SA Derby. I think Liaison was the best horse in the race though. He was compromised by the pace and almost beat Nonios despite a wide trip. Doubt we see Blueskies in the Haskell with Bode in there for Baffert already, but I can see Liasian and Nonios making the trip. I hope they do. With Paynter in the Jim Dandy and Game On Dude in the Pacific Classic I think Blueskies goes in the WV Derby next.
Mooch J More than 1 year ago
Loved this horse today. Played a Pic-4 with the chalk first two legs and bought out the final. Favorite won the last (of course) oh well
Elijah Allison More than 1 year ago
payed you a whopping 50 bucks!
Big Jeff More than 1 year ago
why knock it elijah? It makes you sound like a whopping LOSER.
Meathead More than 1 year ago
way to go talamo I knew you would wire this group and nice $40 exacta as well as $9.60 to win I love baffert on speed type horses coming back after freshoning and putting on the speed freak talamo its a win most of the time also back to the blinkers where he won twice before with them. MH01
Jerome Moynihan More than 1 year ago
Nice job Bob. Nice ride Joe. Nice effort Blue. Nice try Nonies. Nice tri-fecta!
Bsb Jaws More than 1 year ago
Nice play on words . Very nice ! My compliments.
Todd Elliot More than 1 year ago
slow horses, slow track equals bad race...
I, for one, was entertained by the race. Any race can be exciting if its competitive. Is a 3 hose win photo in a $5k maiden claimer not still exciting?
John More than 1 year ago
Way to go Bob,great ride Joe. Watch out when he works them in 58. I saw Mr Baffert right after the Belmont. Told him what a great trajner he is, he told me " Yeah I'm so great I run second in every triple crown race." Number one in my book, in Cali too. Go get em in the Haskel, Travers and Gold Cup.