05/17/2013 4:27PM

Hollywood Park: Beholder to start preparing for summer campaign

Email
John Bambury
Beholder was fractious under Garrett Gomez before the start of the Kentucky Oaks at Churchill Downs, yet was beaten only a half-length.

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Beholder, the champion 2-year-old filly of 2012 who was second in the Kentucky Oaks at Churchill Downs on May 3, will return to racing in August – at Del Mar or Saratoga.

Trainer Richard Mandella said Thursday that Beholder is nearing a return from a three-week vacation at a local farm, but that her next start has not been determined.

“I gave her a little break, and we’ll point for the later part of the summer,” Mandella said.

Mandella has not ruled out a start on turf for Beholder, who is owned by B. Wayne Hughes. At Del Mar, the leading race for 3-year-old fillies is the $300,000 Del Mar Oaks over 1 1/8 miles on turf on Aug. 17. The leading races for 3-year-old fillies at Saratoga are the $600,000 Alabama Stakes over 1 1/4 miles on Aug. 17 and $500,000 Test Stakes over seven furlongs Aug. 24.

Beholder has never run 1 1/4 miles. A winner of 5 of 9 starts and $1,765,000, Beholder was second by a half-length to 38-1 Princess of Sylmar in the Kentucky Oaks over 1 1/8 miles. She was fractious before the start and led in the stretch before being passed in the final furlong.

“I’ll let her forget that trip,” Mandella said.

Earlier this year, Beholder won two Grade 1 races at Santa Anita – the Las Virgenes Stakes over a mile and the Santa Anita Oaks over 1 1/16 miles.

“She’s had a good year,” Mandella said.