07/18/2012 1:46PM

Haskell attracts Paynter as substitute for Bodemeister

Paynter (left) was second to Union Rags in the Belmont Stakes.

DEL MAR, Calif. – Paynter, a game second to Union Rags in the Belmont Stakes on June 9, is bound for the $1 million Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park on July 29, trainer Bob Baffert said.

Paynter worked six furlongs in 1:13.20 on Del Mar’s Polytrack synthetic surface on Wednesday.

The decision gives owner Ahmed Zayat a prominent runner in the Grade 1 Haskell Invitational after the defection of his Bodemeister, the runner-up in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. Zayat and Baffert had intended to run Bodemeister in the Haskell, but he was declared from the race because of an elevated temperature.

Wednesday, Paynter worked in company with Blueskiesnrainbows, the winner of the Grade 2 Swaps Stakes at Betfair Hollywood Park on July 4.

A winner of 2 of 5 starts and $352,224, Paynter had bullet workouts twice earlier this month at Santa Anita, working five furlongs in 58.60 seconds on July 4 and six furlongs in 1:12.60 on July 11.

“He’s been working really well lately,” Baffert said.

In the Belmont, Paynter was beaten a neck by Union Rags after leading for much of the 1 1/2 miles.

Paynter will be ridden in the Haskell by jockey Rafael Bejarano, a replacement for Mike Smith. Baffert described the change in riders as a reflection of Bejarano’s presence as the stable’s first-call jockey.

Baffert said that a race for Blueskiesnrainbows has not been finalized.

“He could run in the Haskell or he could run in the Jim Dandy,” Baffert said, referring to the $600,000 Jim Dandy Stakes at Saratoga on July 28.

unmarx1 More than 1 year ago
Fast Falcon will run in Jim Dandy, say his connections.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Hey folks, please do your pockets a favor and keep Dullahan off your tickets. This is going to be the first horse in the history of thoroughbred racing thats 5 years old, never won a race on dirt and being bet down to 9-5.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Who is going to beat Paynter after what he did in the Belmont? The Haskell is going to be a joke. This years crop had so much potential at one point.
JDS0810 More than 1 year ago
So who gets the lead between Paynter and Hansen? Do they kill each other? Is Gemologist the horse?
Ronnie Malo Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
Hansen get the lead gets pressed by Paynter who overtakes him and wins
Ronnie Malo Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
Gemologist who?
Rich Blaho More than 1 year ago
Hansen is not even running in the Haskell.
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
Le Bernardin or maybe My Adonis will get the lead at any cost because that's the only they could possibly steal it if the track happens to have a really outrageous and unfair rail speed bias that day. Come on, the pace scenario is perhaps the most important factor in handicapping. You should try to figure it out for yourself.
Jordan More than 1 year ago
Blueskies has certainly looked good his last two maintrack races, a 3rd in the SA Derby and a win in the Swaps with a 103 Beyer. He's a big boy, with a pedigree to keep running. The big question I have with him is how he will do if involved in a spirited pace duel. He was basically gifted the early lead in the SA Derby, and though his fractions in the Swaps were quicker than they appear on paper(a really dead surface producing glacial times), he was able to set even 24 second fractions and didn't have a horse at his throat(although there was pressure on his outside flank and to his inside). And how will he respond if he doesn't have the lead(is he a no lead, no pass type in the mold of Eden's Moon?)
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
He is not a need the lead type. He has speed and will inherit the lead in a race that lacks sharp front-end speed. 2 of his 3 wins were from off the pace.
Gary Peacock More than 1 year ago
Nice to see head Bob's giving business to Bejarano. Can't help but think that at least one Triple Crown victory would have been Bodiemesiter's had Raffie been aboard. Seemed a good fit for that one. Onward and upward.......
unmarx1 More than 1 year ago
will msmith ever ride for zayat again after the belmont ?
With luck the field will be Paynter, Dullahan, Alpha, Gemologist and Hansen. If the fellows at MP are smart they will spread a few semolians (ie $$$$$$) around to get this type of quality field. Too bad Mr. Christie does not like Horse Racing. The last Governor who did was Don DiFrancesca.
unmarx1 More than 1 year ago
Alpha in the Jim Dandy,officially.
Joe More than 1 year ago
I'll Have Another, Bodemeister, Union Rags. Wow!! Haskell might have been a nice race. What a shame.. So it's Paynter vs Gemologist. It is what it is I guess.
Sam Shelby More than 1 year ago
I think it will be interesting to find out who the real Gemologist is. But with my history it was fate for me to pick a undefeated horse in my ex box and said horse finishes 16th. And the other horse beat Bodegreatness at 1/16 mile and finished 5th. But I love the game still. I'll just probably never hit the Ky Derby.
Don Passidomo More than 1 year ago
Sam, I agree, I was shocked when Gemologist didn't fire in perfect position in KD but when I heard he came up lame two days later with a severly bruised foot, and injury, at least it made sense, I am so high on this horse and there is alot more in the tank, in healthy, he like his daddy knows how to win, intelligent, coming off layoff and working bullet, he will be ready, I believe he will show up big time, if not, I agree. I have learned not to let you instinct and knowledge fly away after one losing race, even if it was the KD and included an injury. I like to pick two horses in big races, and although I had Gem and lost, my other horse was IHA.....so I won.
Another.
Perl More than 1 year ago
Hitting the derby is the greatest feeling in the world, but I know a lot of good handicappers who stink at this race. I haven't hit it since 2000 and that was relatively chalky.
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
It is actually quite easy to hit the Derby. I first learned the secret from the ladies who were out having a good time at the track on Derby day, about half of them were holding a winning ticket after the race. They usually bet anywhere from 8-12 horses based on: - names - numbers - colors - their signs
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
You apparently didnt notice how weak Gemologists undefeated run was.
unmarx1 More than 1 year ago
Gem suffered a severe foot bruise during KD. it can be seen happening on you tube.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
What does that have to do with the fact that he participated in weak races prior to the Derby?
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
Bodemeister's Arkansas Derby too. 3yo races are supposed to be unpredictable in results and betting patterns. Dunkirk was even money favorite over Quality Road off a maiden win, Discreet Dancer was 4/5 favorite over Union Rags off a first level allowance, when Union Rags did not even run in a first level allowance - he won a G2 off a maiden score.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Bodemeister made me a believer. He is awesome. I hope he has a lot of racing left in him. He may be a beast 4 year old. Dont be surprised if hes your Breeders Cup champ NEXT year.
steve szymanski More than 1 year ago
Just so you know, Joe. When the smoke clears at the end of the year, PAYNTER will be the best of the horses mentioned. You think too one-deminsional. Who beat who and they always run the same "times". Horses improve. This is what separates the handicappers from the gamblers, which I suspect that you are one of.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
How so? He would have to win 3-4 classics before December. Just where does he come up with that?
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
IF IHA won the Belmont, I highly doubt he would have seen the Haskell.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
If it is Paynter vs Gemologist, Paynter will be collecting a nice check for skipping to his lou. I cant wait for all of you to bet Gemologist heavily to see him lose again.
Don Reed More than 1 year ago
Mark: Can you sum it up? This time, state your opinion. Once. Omit the rooting that people who disagree with you will lose at the window. Incredibly, they might be right. You might be wrong.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Anyone can disagree if they like. Im wrong, often. But Ill tell you what my friend, I have noticed I strike it right more than most of the "know it alls" here.
Ronnie Malo Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
thanks mark finally somebody who knows whats he's talking about. Gemologist won't even go in the Haskell, he'll go in the jim dandy, Pletcher doesn't want any part of Paynter first off the bench.
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
except it's Winstar Farm's call, not Pletcher's
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Dude, Pletcher doesnt want any part of Paynter with Gem if Gem WAS correct. I loved Gem in the Derby because people were dumping cash on an undefeated record. Hes a SLOW "speed" horse that hid at Gulfstream (a severely front-end speed biased track) while the heavy hitters were running in the big ones up north and in Cali. That was by DESIGN! He cant hack it with the classy ones gents. You folks that think youre handicappers should work beyond beyer speed figures every once in a while.
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
I like Paynter a lot, he's a very nice 3 year old who is progressing by leaps and bounds this year. He has matured very fast from his very good (and impressive) fourth place initial showing in the Santa Anita Derby. And mentioning the SA Derby, that also brings up Blueskiesnrainbows, who was incredibly impressive in that race battling all the way to the wire against I'll Have Another and Creative Cause. BSNR has progressed nicely after some sharpening by BB and his crew this spring/early summer. I'm looking forward to some pretty good racing from Blueskiesnrainbows in the future. Bob has two very good prospects in his barn in both of these colts, and he is doing a very good job bringing them along. I'm sure he will decide on the appropriate race to show off Blueskiesnrainbows's talent in, either the Jim Dandy of Haskell. We might even get a slight price on Blueskies. Hopefully, he flies under the radar no matter which race BB places him.
Lawrence Vaccarelli More than 1 year ago
­Blueskiesnrain­bows has a half brother that standsin NY called "eastern fever" no runners to the track yet as there too young....this one could be a sleeper.....as for ­Blueskiesnrain­bows ...he's the real deal and will have to be dealt with come travers time.
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
Joy your commentary on ine state of the NTRA is impeccable and makes me happy with each of your comments!! no wonder your name is Joy!
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
You like everyone a lot you wierdo.
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
mark u seem to be an angry person, get some anger management ok? cause I dont ever remember saying anything to u so stfu ok!
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
Hey jak-asz, read the first sentence of Joy's post. I WASNT talking to you, so kill yourself.
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
need I say more about your anger issue? get help dude or one day u WILL come across the wrong person. hopefully in person not behind a screen!!
Grass Is Greener More than 1 year ago
I have never come across anyone who states such obvious observations and utter such droning pleasantries as eloquently as Joy.
James More than 1 year ago
Bodemeister to the Travers then?
Joe More than 1 year ago
You would think.. But he really doesn't want the 1 1/4 does he??
Bwell More than 1 year ago
I'd be shocked to see BodeMeister in any race longer than 1 1/8. He already has a stud deal. Wouldn't be surprised if we never see him on the track again.
unmarx1 More than 1 year ago
Zayat repeatedly tweets," Go! Bode! Go!, which sounds like he wants to run him again.
Ronnie Malo Rodriguez More than 1 year ago
Propaganda Zayat knows his money horse is Paynter.
unmarx1 More than 1 year ago
BBaffert tweeted, "Paynter worked awesome today' at Del Mar.