02/20/2016 9:29PM

Gun Runner hits target for Asmussen in Risen Star

Alexander Barkoff/Hodges Photography
Gun Runner establishes himself as a leading Kentucky Derby prospect by winning the Risen Star under Florent Geroux.

NEW ORLEANS – Steve Asmussen’s far-flung stable is loaded with talented 3-year-old fillies this winter, but on a day when the filly Stageplay misfired as the odds-on favorite in the Rachel Alexandra Stakes at Fair Grounds, it was the 3-year-old colt Gun Runner who hit the target for Asmussen. Getting a great trip under Florent Geroux, Gun Runner beat Forevamo and tough-luck Mo Tom to win the Grade 2, $400,000 Risen Star Stakes, landing a spot in the Kentucky Derby if he can make it there.

“He’s a very talented horse and we’re very excited to have him,” Asmussen said. “I think you can look at him physically and tell he’s still in the development phase, and we’re hopeful he could have a huge year.”

Gun Runner earned 50 qualifying points for the Kentucky Derby and now has a total of 51, currently the leading point total ahead of Breeders’ Cup Juvenile winner Nyquist. If all goes well, Gun Runner will have one more start, in the Louisiana Derby on March 26, before going on to Churchill Downs.

“We feel he’s developing a lot right now and not moving him around a lot is a good idea. Just a couple races, with how generous he trains, should be enough,” Asmussen said. “He got a little late today, but we’ve got a bridge between now and [the Kentucky Derby] and hopefully that will answer the question.”

Gun Runner became the third horse from the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes last fall at Churchill Downs, in which he finished a fading fourth in the slop, to subsequently win a significant stakes race, joining Mor Spirit and Mo Tom. But the KJC winner, Airoforce, floundered Saturday making his first start on a fast dirt track, checking in 10th as the 8-5 favorite.

“It was pretty obvious – he ran terrible,” said trainer Mark Casse. “Julien [Leparoux] said he was going along good, put his head up, and just stopped going. He pulled up fine.”

Asked if Airoforce would return to turf, over which he nearly won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf, Casse said it was too soon to consider plans for the spring.
“I can’t even think about that right now,” he said.

Mo Tom had the race’s hard-luck story. Last early as Candy My Boy laid down a wicked pace, going his first quarter-mile  in 22.95 seconds and a half in 46.38, Mo Tom started moving at the half-mile pole, jockey Corey Lanerie squeezing through a hole at the top of the stretch, but getting stopped badly at about the eighth pole when tiring Bistraya drifted inside. Mo Tom, long-legged and far from push-button, still gathered himself and was back at the leaders, finishing an onrushing third and galloping out in front. Trainer Tom Amoss said Mo Tom sustained  a cut to his right-front leg when Bistraya hit him, but that the wound appeared superficial and was unlikely to cost Mo Tom any training.

“I was coming fast,” Lanerie said. “Definitely, I thought he was the best horse today. He galloped out so good. I can’t wait til the races get longer for this horse.”

Candy My Boy stayed on bravely to finish fourth, three-quarters of a length behind Mo Tom and 7 /2 in front of fifth-place Zapperini.

Forevamo, a 40-1 shot, followed Gun Runner much of the trip and turned in the best performance of his career to get second, a half-length behind Gun Runner and one length in front of Mo Tom.

“He just kept trying, trying, trying,” said trainer Al Stall. “We thought we saw that in his last race, putting everything together. We’re happy.”

Forevamo earned 20 Derby qualifying points, which alone could be enough to get him into the 20-horse field. Mo Tom added to his total with 10 points and now has a total of 22. Expect to see the first four finishers Saturday back for the $1 million Louisiana Derby next month.

The top four home had one thing in common – all raced inside on a day when the rail at Fair Grounds was golden in dirt races. Geroux, who won the Fair Grounds Handicap with Chocolate Ride, steered straight to the fence, with Colby Hernandez on Forevamo following him all the way around.

“The way my horse is doing and the way he’s traveling gives you plenty of opportunity to put him where you want to be,” said Geroux. “He broke sharp, and I wanted to make sure I cut the corner and save ground, because you don’t want to be outside today. We knew he was a nice horse, and it was nice to see him go out and do it.”

Gun Runner ran 1 1/16 miles in 1:43.94 and paid $12.20. Asmussen trains the colt for owners Ron Winchell and Three Chimneys Farm, and Gun Runner, a compact, athletic chestnut colt, won for the third time in four starts, his fourth in the KJC slop his lone defeat. Gun Runner is by Candy Ride and is the first foal to race out of the Giants Causeway mare Quiet Giant, whose best win came in the Grade 3 Molly Pitcher Stakes. He was bred by the Besilu Stables of Benjamin Leon. Asmussen and Winchell went down the Derby path via the Fair Grounds in 2008 with Pyro, who swept the stakes for 3-year-olds here before finishing eighth in the Derby.

mike More than 1 year ago
Nice horse,can't stand the trainer.
Danny More than 1 year ago
Re; uncle mo as a sire: I just looked at Romans Website. Uncle mo has the most offspring contending For the triple crown...7... But four of them have very High dosage ratings. Time will tell, but maybe uncle Mo might be a better sire at a mile.
Charles Williams More than 1 year ago
Personally this race means nothing until the preps at 1/1/8 are run. When I do my pace figures for 1-1/16 races that are preps they never over the last eight years equal the pace set in races at 1-1/8. Unless these horses go a dynamic 1-/8 pace scenario in comparisons to other 1-1/8 races else where then the race is useless in what may happen in the Derby.
Joe Rockhold More than 1 year ago
Thought Bridgmohan gave Candy My Boy an awful ride - there was no reason that he had to go that fast early. Had he saved something he would have at least hit the board. Hoping he continues to train forwardly and makes the LA Derby. If he's in it he will be a major player. Assuming he gets a new rider as well.
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
I'm going to make a not so bold prediction here.. Uncle Mo is going to be one of the most influential sires of the century. In the mold of a Mr Prospector . I can see him emulating truly great sires like Mr Prospector, Danzig, Northern dancer, Storm Cat. In this race he had Mo Tom who probably should have won and Forevamo who ran 2nd. But his progeny are winning across all categories from colts to fillies from sprinters to two turn horses from dirt to turf. This is a great turn in breeding as his line brings new blood other than the Bold Ruler,Mr Prospector lines.
Don Crook More than 1 year ago
Cannot argue that Uncle Mo is off to an amazing start as a sire but as prolific as Mr. Prospector? That is bold, in my opinion. The others you mention have also set arguably equally lofty heights to match, although they are more but not exclusively, turf sire giants. Mr. Prospector sired so many classy winners for all surfaces. His longevity as a prolific sire is probably unmatched in the last fifty years and maybe longer. Time will tell! I probably won't see what happens down the road that will allow a fair comparison, but good luck to him in the good life.
John Agnello More than 1 year ago
As much as I like how Corey Lanierie rides, I believe that if this horse continues on the Derby trail, he'll be replaced. Don't necessarily agree with that, just a gut feeling. Don't really believe that these athletes are trained to pass others on the inside and I've watched enough races to know that trying to ride the rail will get a jockey in more trouble more often than not.
Charles Williams More than 1 year ago
I live in Las Vegas and have watched on average 30 races per day watching on average 4 days per week over a 4-6 month period and I greatly amen the number of jockeys with decent to good riding records who don't understand the getting of the rail works three times more that trying to ride and rail and get stopped or the horse pulling itself back because he is covered up with no place to run and will not harm himself by trying to run into other horses. Thanks for a ever so try observation on a site someone can learn from.
Charles Williams More than 1 year ago
I I'M so sorry for my poor typing but hope most understand that the rail just saves a little ground then you are stopped or pinched or covered with no place to go after making that rail run attempt.
john g More than 1 year ago
I don't know how #2 Mo Tom was able to somewhat recoup to finish 3'rd. He veered way in when he checked badly because of a tiring #4 Bistraya, and then drove back outside of horses to get clear, and gained for 3'rd place. He galloped out past the winner quickly after the wire. Unfortunately, their was no one to penalize with #4 fading and not hitting the board. That move caused # 2 Mo Tom the race. Maybe I'm just a sore loser, since I had both #2 and # 13 on top in tri's and supers, and # 13 across the board. You not only have to be good, but you can't be unlucky.