12/05/2014 4:39PM

Gulfstream simulcast in doubt as rights stalemate continues

With Gulfstream set to start its winter meet tomorrow, a simulcasting cooperative and Gulfstream’s parent company remained locked in a stalemate Friday night over the rights to simulcast signals, threatening the availability of Gulfstream’s races on its opening weekend at sites in a handful of states.

Though Gulfstream’s parent company sent the cooperative a detailed proposal seeking to end the stalemate Friday, it was unlikely the proposal would lead to any immediate lifting of the blackout, according to officials for both sides. The proposal was sent by Monarch Capital Management Company, which controls the simulcast rights to tracks owned by the Stronach Group, to a group called the MidAtlantic Cooperative, which represents 23 racetracks, including most sites in Ohio, Texas, and Pennsylvania.

Scott Daruty, the president of Monarch, said the proposal delineated the rates Monarch believed should be paid for each site within the MidAtlantic Cooperative, a sharp departure from the group’s previous contract, which charged the cooperative’s members a flat rate. The prices varied depending on the amount of live racing conducted by a site, Daruty said, among other factors.

“It’s pretty much the way we price to everyone else in the country, which is pricing each site on an individual basis depending on the business they do,” Daruty said.

Phil O’Hara, the executive director of the cooperative, said he received the Monarch proposal Friday afternoon and was attempting to convene the group’s board Friday night for a detailed discussion of the proposal. However, he would not comment on whether he believed a deal could be reached by the start of Gulfstream’s Saturday card, which features the Claiming Crown event.

Signals from the Monarch tracks, which include Laurel, Tampa Bay, Golden Gate, and Turf Paradise, began to be cut off at the cooperative sites last weekend. A previous contract between the two parties expired Nov. 30.

Monarch has offered to allow the cooperative’s sites to continue to offer wagering on the company’s signals while the negotiations took place, but the cooperative has declined.

jim lefferts More than 1 year ago
Gulfsteam Park's handle was up more than 10% opening day without the Mid-Altlantic Cooperative. They sure taught Gulfstream a lesson.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Tim More than 1 year ago
get lost! (and learn proper grammar and spelling while you're at it!)
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
I just called Twinspire. It seems if your PA resident you can open account and no issues.
Chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
DRF Bets is open for Maryland bettors which we may have gotten from DRF, not!
Chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Alot still not clear but a phone call to Atlantic City Race Course just told me that they will NOT have wagering from Gulfstream...
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
ACRC is owned by parx
joe d More than 1 year ago
honestly, i dont want bother myself with whos right and whos wrong, i just want to know, can i bet races at GULFSTREAM from a NJ. simulcast betting location. does anyone know??????
Chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
A lot of people in the same boat... I guess you gotta call the track or otb you wager with.
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
It don't appear these knuckle heads will have anything done in time. They had plenty time to get this done and waited to the contract to expire. The on track site should get more than they get and why not just do it 50 50. What made me lose total support of any Mid-Atlantic track is the fact they offered to extend so fans could play today and the coop declined. It shows complete disrespect of the player. That's just a bad move and bettors will not forget. I'll never support any of the track associated with the Mid-Atlantic group again.
Chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Who does that include? Who are in this co-op?
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
Its like 25 tracks, Here an article. https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/.../good-news-american...
Paul Aswad More than 1 year ago
the claiming crown is great today. ramsey has a stranglehold on one of them with saylers creek, saffron hall, and longhunter
russell More than 1 year ago
I support Magna on this one. You can't give 10-15% of the handle to a simulcast operator. Thats bad business. Fortunately I live in NY so it doesn't affect me. I was on a betting vacation after the BC Classic debacle but I caved in last weekend and nailed Private Zone. The claiming crown looks intrguing but I think I'll go back on vacation.
THE More than 1 year ago
Just another reason why this sport needs a centralized body with a commissioner with the power to regulate...and that is NOT the government..someone like Steve Crist or his clone!
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
I agree.
mikey More than 1 year ago
They needed this for 30 years good luck.
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
The funny thing is as PA residents there us numerous restrictions opening online accounts like DRF or Xpress. In addition, you cant live within 35 miles of tracks and minimum wager is $2.00. I'm just not betting and I know a ton of people who doing the same so our voices are heard.
Will LaTulippe More than 1 year ago
5 miles would be reasonable. 35 is a joke and does nothing to grow handle.
Matt Harvey For Prez More than 1 year ago
I live in PA in one of the restricted areas and have access to Parx PhoneBet, Twin Spires and BetAmerica. I don't know what you are talking about with respect to a minimum wager of $2... that is not true.
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
Read it on Xpressbet.
Gordon More than 1 year ago
The facts are that Monarch is doing the right thing. These simulcast sites want the lions share of the takeout and to give a pittance to the Track and Horsemen putting on the show. The horse,en deserve better - they deserve a larger cut. Mid Atlantic is taking their customers for granted. Monarch is actually asking for close to the same deal that Churchill already gets from the Mid Atlantic. The simulcast business must change, or The Tracks and Horsemen putting on the show I'll not survive long run.