04/05/2013 6:47PM

Gulfstream Park: Rainbow 6 pays $4,234 to 1,461 winners

Email

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. - Despite having closing day dampened by rain, the 2012-2013 Gulfstream Park meeting ended with a bang on Friday as bettors nationwide poured more than $5.2 million into a Rainbow 6 pool which totaled a record $7.24 million and rewarded winners with a $4,234.01 payoff.  The entire pool, which began with a $1.9 million carryover, had to be dispersed on closing day.    

The Rainbow 6 pool would likely have risen much higher had heavy overnight rain not forced management to make the decision early in the day to move the three scheduled turf races in the sequence to the main track. The switch in surfaces resulted in a total of 15 scratches in those three races alone. The remaining three Rainbow 6 races were decided over a sloppy main track and drew an additional nine scratches.

Trainer Marcus Vitali sent out two of the six Rainbow 6 winners, Running Wildcat ($15.80) in the 10th race and Charlie In Charge ($7.20) in the 12th. The other winners in the sequence were Sweet N Discreet ($4.20), Wild Perfection $5.20), Trinni Heart ($10.80), and Sweet Gator Girl ($8.20).

There were 1,461 tickets sold on the winning combination.

The largest payoff in track history came on Feb. 22 when one bettor in New Jersey won $3.5 million for having the only winning ticket in the Rainbow 6.

Friday’s bonanza in the Rainbow 6 helped Gulfstream Park conclude a record-setting meet business-wise, with ontrack handle up 22 percent and total handle up 9 percent from the 2011-2012 session. Total handle for the meet was approximately $769 million, up from $673 million the previous year.

“We’re thankful to our fans and the horsemen for making the 2012-2013 meeting such a success,” said Gulfstream president Tim Ritvo. "Once again the horsemen and jockeys put on a tremendous show, starting with the Claiming Crown on opening day to the record-setting Florida Derby last weekend to the Rainbow 6 on closing day. They were the main attractions and provided us with world-class racing.”

Its Me More than 1 year ago
Just think if the #10 would have lost the first leg what this could have paid! I went deep in the first leg b/c you never know what might happen with maidens in the slop but I did key the #1 in the last leg based on the fact the horse held a "triple fig" on dirt/syn Beyer figs over the rest of them.
Nathan More than 1 year ago
i was shocked at the huge pay-out. the #10 in the 1st leg was an absolute stickout on breeding and a 23% mud sire. that made it pick 5. they should all be this easy.
russell More than 1 year ago
I almost never play the P6 but I played a $21 ticket. Trinni Heat sank me. Had all the other winners.
MICHEL More than 1 year ago
Nice payout, I got it with 76.80, and got the late pick4 for a dollar, that really was a big payout as the parlay was worth only 629-1
Greg Scherr More than 1 year ago
well done Michel, I had the 1st 5 winners than the 2-8-12-14 in the last, I thought it might pay a bit more with the winners being 10-1, 12-1, and 12-1, now I move my bet to the Keeneland p5
hialeah More than 1 year ago
And then it was over. The interminably long , no never ending, Gulfstream horse racing meet has in fact ended. Was that a puff of black smoke or white? That the track couldn't calculate the proper pay-off for the grand finale Rainbow Six bet should come as no surprise to anyone who has dealt with the current regime. So frustrating. Anyway, when in doubt, the angle of the sun with the rise in the tide usually gives you a ball park sum of the payment that you might expect to withdraw. unless you have a previous payout coming in which case the offended party might expect a substantial penalty payment. Whew. It was so easy when they just split the winter dates with Hialeah. Better, too.
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
I was one of them. Didnt need much either.
cbrook03 More than 1 year ago
I had 5 out of 6. Missed the 12th race by a neck. Only spent $14.40 for my ticket
Cathy More than 1 year ago
Wow, the payoff that Gulfstream showed to the one horse in the last race was 1700+. Now is payed over 4200? Someone made a mistake somewhere along the line.
Glenn More than 1 year ago
Thomas explained the discrepancy below. Normally the consolation payout is 40% of the payout for the day, with the other 60% carrying over into the jackpot (after house takeout). Today 100% of the pool was paid out (after takeout). $1700 x 2.5 = $4250. Simple mistake but not one you'd expect from the Gulfstream broadcast on closing day.
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
cause we get the added 2 mill carry
b More than 1 year ago
Here is how the original will pay was mis-calculated: $5,278,477 x 80% x 60% ≈$2,533,668; $2,533,668/1461=$1734; not only was the carryover not included but the remaining 40% was not added in. The final correct payout is as follows: $5,278,477 x80% x100% ≈$4,222,781 + $1,961,806 (carryover) = $6,184,587/1461≈ $4,234.01
Glenn More than 1 year ago
Good math B. It's still surprising that with 52M+ tickets sold today that there were only 1461 winning tickets-- only 1 out of every 36,000 tickets, with no longshots coming in. Obviously many people were playing damned near every horse in every combination, which might make some sense on a normal unique-ticket jackpot day, but not when the entire pot is to be divided up. Play it reasonable, and clean up on all the other crazy bets (I didn't, hit 5 of 6-- missed the #7 Running Wildcat in Race 10, alas). Like I said, over 10 times the payout than if the same horses were bet in a parlay.
Tom Hofner More than 1 year ago
Does anyone have the will pays for the pick-6? Twinspires was not listing them, and I thought I saw on tv the 1 was set to pay $1700. We were lucky enough to hit, but we also had the 2,8,9,10 and 14...just curious.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
they were on DRF Bets site an hour or so ago.
Its Me More than 1 year ago
I have the before and after BEFORE: 1-1734 2-2272 3-16137 6-2047 8-2751 9-5864 10-7177 11-5617 12-3045 14-1645 AFTER THE CARRYOVER ADDED IN: 1-4234 2-5547 3-39391 6-4997 8-6715 9-14316 10-17519 11-13712 12-7434 14-4016
Glenn More than 1 year ago
Can't complain about a 42,340-to-1 payoff on a dime given the relatively low prices on the individual winners in this Pick-6 sequence. That's over 10 times the payoff if the same horses had been played in a rolling parlay.
Thomas Mclaughlin More than 1 year ago
For some reason they showed the will pays as if it would carry it not hit with a unique ticket. Tom you were right about the payoff they showed with the 1 before the race.