03/05/2014 5:25PM

Gulfstream Park: Palace Malice among eight for Gulfstream Handicap

Palace Malice, shown training last month at Palm Meadows, will make his 4-year-old debut in Saturday's Gulfstream Park Handicap.

A field of eight older runners, led by 2013 Belmont Stakes winner Palace Malice and Preakness runner-up Itsmyluckyday, was drawn Wednesday for Saturday’s Grade 2 Gulfstream Park Handicap. Both horses will be making their 4-year-old debuts in the one-mile fixture.

Palace Malice will be ridden by Velazquez, while Paco Lopez, who won the Gulfstream Park Derby aboard Itsmyluckyday last winter, has the mount back Saturday.

[Gulfstream Park Handicap: Get PPs, watch Saturday's card live]

The remainder of the lineup is Uncaptured (Luis Contreras), Falling Sky (Elvis Trujillo), Golden Ticket (Manny Cruz), Brujo de Olleros (Corey Lanerie), Sr. Quisqueyano (Carlos Oliver), and Narvaez (Abdiel Jaen).

[Clocker Reports: Get Mike Welsch’s clocker reports from Gulfstream Park and Palm Meadows]

Golden Ticket, the runner-up in the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile, also launches his 2014 campaign in the Gulfstream Park Handicap. Golden Ticket has not started since finishing eighth in the Grade 1 Clark Handicap in November.

“I don’t know if I can say he’s 110 percent fit, but I can say he’s not far off,” trainer Ken McPeek said.

Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
So glad to see Itsmyluckyday back in action. I believed he was one of the best of his 3 year old crop. Hard to run your best after injury and off so long, but when they straighten out for the run home, it's him that Palice will have to catch.
Electrocutionst More than 1 year ago
Palace Malice - My favorite older horse in training. Dogwood stated that if he runs well in the GP Handicap, they may very well try him in the Met Mile, but also realizing that a mile isn't his distance. I think that if he can get out of the gate fine ( big if!) and gets that stalking trip he likes, he'll be fine at a mile also.
Matthew Ellis More than 1 year ago
They owe Itsmylucky day one after that pullup my Mikey and the victory by Verrazano who opened 1-9 coincidentally ( almost like a lock ) or if you know someone is going to win. AHH just saying. Lets see what happens with old Palice Malice and IMLD he does love the track.
Mark Kennedy More than 1 year ago
ITS SO FUNNY HOW FOLKS HAVE WRITTEN OFF Palice malice because of the BC not once understanding that there was a last minute jock change that once again screwed up the colts chances Palice malice will handle this field even though he is suited to longer distances and then will go on to make mince meat of will take charge later on to prove he was the best three yr old last yr
Sidman More than 1 year ago
It's more funny how many excuses people have for this horse. He went too fast, he was off slow, there was a jockey change, the sun was in his eyes..... He's a good horse ... but 3 for 12 lifetime doesn't suggest he was the best anything .. or that he will make mince meat of anything .... if he's a true underlay, then just try to make some money on him .....
Electrocutionst More than 1 year ago
The only excuses I've ever had for him is his slow starts, which take him out of his racing style. Considering his start in the BCC, I still think he was pretty competitive
Anna Montanucci More than 1 year ago
Guess I'm the weird one here. I don't plan on b*tching about how the track might play. I'm just glad to see at least Palace Malice is back in action. It will be interesting to see how he stacks up against Will Take Charge, "Mucho", etc. further on down the road. In recent years, Belmont Stakes winners have proved mostly irrelevant. Hope that PM is an exception.
Electrocutionst More than 1 year ago
In recent years also, horses that have won the Belmont weren't as competitive or as durable as Palace Malice was last year after winning the Belmont. At least Palace Malice kept going top distances against the best horses for the whole year. Who can answer? Who was the last horse to win the Belmont and be nominated for horse of the year in the same year?
Electrocutionst More than 1 year ago
Oops, not horse, but 3 yr old of the year.
Dennis Busse Jr More than 1 year ago
afleet alex?
Dennis Busse Jr More than 1 year ago
afleet alex?
Electrocutionst More than 1 year ago
I don't know the answer either. But I was thinking Summer Bird, who won both the Belmont and 3 yr old of the year.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
In 1992, AP Indy won Belmont, Classic and Horses of the Year.
Electrocutionst More than 1 year ago
Yes, but AP Indy certainly isn't the answer to my question...
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
Horse for course alert.
Roy Roy More than 1 year ago
redboy More than 1 year ago
how do 2 horses run 2nd?
Anna Montanucci More than 1 year ago
Dead heat, of course. ;-)
Mark More than 1 year ago
PM / Brujo,FS
redboy More than 1 year ago
Jump on that Falling Sky bandwagon while you can.
Corky Pretzels More than 1 year ago
Did anyone look at this entire card? 12,500 claimers on the turf? At Gulfstream? On a Saturday? The Campo-fication is nearly complete.
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
I can't even get excited for Gulfstream racing and I should. This is a good field and good betting race. The track had been so jacked all meet. It seems like there is a new track record everyday. Falling Sky probably makes the lead and they go around single file and the first three stay in that order.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Yes, you should be able to. Does management believe they're doing good - or is this the inmates running the asylum?
Jerry Cumberland More than 1 year ago
If that's the case, Pletcher should put blinkers on Palace Malice again. Hello new track record.
my favorite track is GP because it is the 1st place I look to when following the KD trail. I can't even get excited about Florida Derby day. I am tired of seeing the best horse in the race chasing cheap speed in vain. This year I just want it to end. Yesterdays 2nd race 7 furlongs for SOC 6,250 or less ran in 22.1 / 43.4 / 108.1 / 122.1 This was won by the fave on the front end. Tats not horse racing. Thats roller skating downhill on a conveyor belt