Updated on 09/15/2011 1:33PM

Griffinite may try Dwyer


ELMONT, N.Y. - Griffinite, whose career has been plagued by multiple foot problems, has been dealing with a new ailment the last six weeks: allergies.

But if he has recovered from them as much as trainer Jennifer Leigh-Pedersen thinks he has, Griffinite will run in Sunday's $150,000 Dwyer Stakes at Belmont Park. Griffinite, winner of the Lexington Stakes and the fifth-place finisher in the Preakness, arrived at Belmont Thursday afternoon and was scheduled to blow out Friday morning under jockey Norberto Arroyo.

According to Leigh-Pedersen, Griffinite broke out in hives right before he left his training base of Saratoga for the June 17 Leonard Richards Stakes at Delaware Park. Although the hives were less noticeable once he arrived at Delaware, he still ran a dull fourth, 12 lengths behind Burning Roma.

Leigh-Pedersen said she was told Griffinite was allergic to horse flies. "I said he's a horse, how could that be?" Leigh-Pedersen said.

Leigh-Pedersen said Griffinite has gotten better the last two weeks and provided he works well Friday, he will run on Sunday. The Dwyer, a Grade 2, is expected to include Peter Pan one-two finishers Hero's Tribute and E Dubai, as well as I Love Silver, Regal Shivers, and Windsor Castle. This Fleet Is Due is possible, although trainer Bill Mott indicated he would run the Long Branch Stakes at Monmouth Park on July 15.

Peeping Tom to get a rest

Still without a plausible explanation for Peeping Tom's last-place finish in Wednesday's Tom Fool Handicap, trainer Pat Reynolds said the gelding will get a freshening. Reynolds planned to ship Peeping Tom to Saratoga over the weekend and said "if we make the Forego on Sept. 1 fine, if we don't we'll find something else."

Reynolds said he could not find anything physically wrong with Peeping Tom, who had won 4 of 5 starts including the Grade 2 General George Handicap and the Grade 1 Carter Handicap, heading into the Tom Fool.

"He might be a little mentally tired," Reynolds said. "He's been in action since we claimed him 16 months ago. The only break he got is when we castrated him and that's like a stockbroker taking two weeks off after a heart attack. It's not really a break, it's because you can't do anything."

Peeping Tom did suffer a bruised foot after running second in the Metropolitan Handicap. But Reynolds said the foot did not affect his performance; Peeping Tom simply didn't put out an effort in the Tom Fool.

"He got beat all of seven lengths and never ran a step," Reynolds said. "We'll get him back in the game."

Dr Greenfield pointed to Lexington

Dr Greenfield, who finished last in the Belmont Stakes, will be moved back to the turf and run next in the $150,000 Lexington Stakes on July 15. It will be his first start since being transferred to trainer Bill Mott.

Dr Greenfield delayed the start of the Belmont by several minutes by refusing to load into the starting gate. Mott has taken him to the gate several times and has been pleased with the results.

"He's done well at the gate and he's had a couple of good works on the grass," Mott said.

On June 28, Dr Greenfield worked five furlongs in 1:03.60.

Not Wild sent to clinic

Not Wild, the Allen Jerkens-trained 3-year-old who fractured the sesamoids in his left foreleg during a race Wednesday, was sent to a New Jersey clinic on Thursday to see if he could be saved for stallion duty.

Not Wild, a son of Wild Again, was pulled up after running an opening quarter in 21.83 seconds in Wednesday's fifth race. He was equipped with a protective boot - which he still has on - and was vanned off. Dr. Dennis Milne, who operates a clinic in central New Jersey, was to examine Not Wild.

In his previous start, Not Wild won a preliminary allowance race by 17 1/4 lengths and followed that with a dazzling six-furlong workout in 1:09.20 on June 28. Jerkens said Not Wild had not shown any signs of unsoundness.

"That's what's surprising," Jerkens said. "A lot of horses you know something could go wrong. He was one you didn't even think about anything going wrong."

* Trainer Joe Imperio was to begin serving a 15-day suspension on Friday as a result of his horse, Betty's Hat, testing positive for the banned substance clenbuterol in the seventh race at Aqueduct on April 25. Imperio's suspension was reduced from 30 days when he waived his right to appeal. Imperio was also fined $2,000.

* Jockey Camilo Pitty was to begin serving a 10-day suspension for careless riding dating from the first race on June 14. Pitty was also fined $200 by the stewards for failure to fulfill his riding engagement in Sunday's first race. The horse he was to ride, Port Henry, won under Aaron Gryder.