04/15/2014 11:41AM

Grade 1 winner, producer My Flag dies at Claiborne

Grade 1 winner My Flag died due to foaling complications after delivering a healthy Bernardini colt last Saturday.

My Flag, a Grade 1 winner and dam of champion Storm Flag Flying, was euthanized due to complications from foaling after producing a healthy Bernardini colt on April 12. The Easy Goer mare was 21.

A standout member of the Phipps family breeding program out of unbeaten champion Personal Ensign, My Flag won six of 20 starts during her racing career for earnings of $1,557,057. Owned by Ogden Phipps and trained by Shug McGaughey, My Flag was a five-time graded stakes winner, taking the Grade 1 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies, Coaching Club American Oaks, Ashland Stakes, and Gazelle Handicap, as well as the Grade 2 Bonnie Miss Stakes. Her 3-year-old campaign also included a third-place finish to Editor’s Note in the 1996 Belmont Stakes.

My Flag was retired to Claiborne Farm to begin her broodmare career at the end of her 4-year-old season. Her first two matings were to Storm Cat, first producing Grade 3-placed On Parade, and then Storm Flag Flying, the champion 2-year-old filly of 2002, who followed her dam in winning the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies, earning an Eclipse Award for that season.

In total, My Flag produced five winners from seven foals to race, also including stakes winner With Flying Colors and stakes-placed Leading the Parade, both by A.P. Indy.

The most successful producer out of My Flag has been On Parade, who four foals to race have all been winners, including Grade 2 winner and Claiborne sire Parading and Grade 2-placed Protesting.

My Flag was a half sister to Grade 1 winners Miner's Mark and Traditionally, Grade 1-placed Our Emblem, Grade 2-placed Salute, and Grade 3-placed Proud and True.

My Flag has been buried at Claiborne Farm.

Hail No More than 1 year ago
It almost feel's like yesterday, the anticipation, expectations. She delivered. RIP Sweet Girl..
Stephen Stankiewicz More than 1 year ago
Should have let the girl rest never mind keep making babies and put these horses at risk from complications!
Ann Ashcraft Cheek More than 1 year ago
We will miss her here! She was a good ole girl to work with!
francis healy More than 1 year ago
my heart just broke
William More than 1 year ago
A great loss, she was a truly champion!
AzHorsePlayer More than 1 year ago
Loved her on the race track...RIP classy lady
Blaine MacMillan More than 1 year ago
Bernardini's dam was from the Raise A Native line. Easy Goer is from the Raise A Native line as well....Hmmm....2016....
Kevin Rice More than 1 year ago
why was she foaling at 21 yrs of age?
Thomas Mcdonough More than 1 year ago
I agree with Kevin. Ogden Phipps makes such a show of his concern for the safety of the horse and the reputation of the game, to the point of suggesting Steve Asmussen pass on the Triple Crown races this year. Why hadn't this lovely mare been retired?
Ann Ashcraft Cheek More than 1 year ago
she was healthy and in great shape! why not!
Stephen Stankiewicz More than 1 year ago
Ya another selfish ignorant reply. Why not? Why not just jump off a bridge! Stupid is as stupid says! Why not!
hialeah More than 1 year ago
Extremely nice horse and a personal Fav. cue: "Hells Bells"
Union_Rags More than 1 year ago