06/14/2012 6:01PM

Giant Ryan, champion New York-bred, euthanized

Tom Keyser
Giant Ryan won 8 of his 16 starts and more than $600,000.

Giant Ryan, who fractured both sesamoids and suffered vascular damage to his left front ankle during the running of last Saturday's Grade 2 True North Handicap at Belmont Park, was euthanized Thursday afternoon after signs of laminitis began to set in, owner Shivananda Parbhoo said.

Giant Ryan was at the New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pa. where doctors had hoped to operate on him. However, that operation never occurred because of the signs of laminitis.

"There was nothing that I could do or that they could do," Parbhoo said. "And we didn't want him to suffer anymore."

Giant Ryan was the 2011 New York-bred Horse of the Year - as well as statebred champion older male and champion sprinter - after winning 6 of 9 starts, including the Grade 1 Vosburgh at Belmont and Grade 2 Smile Sprint Handicap at Calder. For his career, Giant Ryan, a son of Freud, won 8 of 16 starts and earned $626,841. He was trained by Bisnath Parboo, the father of Shivananda.

Shivananda Parbhoo said Giant Ryan's death was a big blow to him and his family.

"I don't know if I could watch another race without worrying what could happen," he said. "We look at racing in a different way now.

"Ryan was unbelievable to us," he added. "This hit us really, really hard. We loved this horse more than anything. This is a sentimental loss for the whole family. It's very, very sad."

Giant Ryan, a 6-year-old son of Freud, was pressing the pace in the True North when he began to break down and was pulled up at the eighth pole by jockey Willie Martinez.

Giant Ryan was vanned off the track and taken back to his Belmont Park barn. He shipped to New Bolton on Monday, but could not be operated on because there was insufficient blood flow to the ankle, Parbhoo said.

Parbhoo said that Giant Ryan developed a blood clot that had to be attended to before surgery could be performed. But that surgery was unable to take place when signs of laminitis began to surface late Thursday morning.

Parbhoo said he and his family received tons of messages from horsemen and fans.

"We want to thank everybody for their support," Parbhoo said.

Michelle Archer More than 1 year ago
Is everyone here for real??? Here's the real question... Would the "family" have tried to save Ryan's life if he was a gelding???? Or a bottom claimer???? Hmmm... I didn't think so. Saving a graded stakes winner for a breeding stallion makes much more financial sence.
Good-bye Giant Ryan may you meet your fellow champions Real Quiet and Barbaro in heaven may you green pastures and lounge under big oak trees. I was so hoping for a different outcome, but in light of his injuries, there was no other choice. The owners and trainers should be proud that they made a very hard decision to not let such a champion suffer. I will miss not following his brilliant career, but I have my eye on his stablemate Trinniberg! I hope all who are associated with Triini will find much love and happiness! This is a sad day for horse racing.
denali1 More than 1 year ago
I hate this part of the business and i feel horses race way to early not in this case but so true for others. My condolences to all his connections. They seem like a great family who really cared about this horse. Thank you for the memories r.i.p Giant Ryan.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Denali, Keep putting your message out there... These young horses don't have enough time to grow, let alone mature.
Frank More than 1 year ago
I guess DRF doesnt like the truth -- they remove posts
amory_gillian More than 1 year ago
what is the truth?
DRFInsidePost More than 1 year ago
Comments that are flagged by multiple users are removed.
steve szymanski More than 1 year ago
Look at his running lines....The perfect "fit" for racings new rules on horses to be screened at the gate as possible "problem" horses. For all you that think the rule was a bad one - How 'bout it now????
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Low blow steve and way too early. Let it rest awhile ok?
amory_gillian More than 1 year ago
what about them? 2x ND and 2x BR.....
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
I don't know where that was headed amory but can't we let this Family have some peace?
Frank More than 1 year ago
Bottom line is it happens to often in this sport and nothing is ever done (or enough is not done). And these people who you want us to give peace and feel sorry just continue one with no consequences. Give peace to the horse yes -- I feel bad for this champion that wasnt given a chance.
Troponin More than 1 year ago
Frank, I'm sorry but you don't know these people or you wouldn't be saying the things you're saying. Also, you have no idea what a loss these people have suffered. Why don't you show a little respect.
Frank More than 1 year ago
Troponin - Did they show Trinniburg respect when they entered the horse and put him at risk in the 1 1/4 derby when the horse is clearly bred for and performs as a sprinter -- Why did they do that? Every horse owners dream is to run a horse in the derby - Get the point? Most people in the sport only cry when its to late.
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Frank the frggnDerby episode is over. Do you understand that Pops and his Family are in every way in mourning...
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
I am so sad to hear of the loss of Giant Ryan, a valiant, champion horse. He was so talented. My condolences to the Parbhoo family, Giant Ryan was more than just a race horse to them, they lost someone important to their family, and that is always devastating. It so sad. When I had heard Giant Ryan broke down in his race, my heart just sank. I hate to hear of any horse breaking down. You were a wonderful champion, Giant Ryan. You gave a lot of people great pleasure in watching you, and you did your job very well. Well done, Giant Ryan! R.I.P., brave horse.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Troponin More than 1 year ago
Excuse me but you don't have a clue!! No one cares for their horses or loves them more than the Parboo family! How can you say such a thing at such a difficult time!!! I could write a book on the things they do just to keep their horses safe and healthy. It's very clear that you have no idea!!! They have lost a member of their family!!!
Troponin More than 1 year ago
We are deeply saddened by the loss of this wonderful horse who left this wonderful family such beautiful memories. They loved him so much and did everything right for him. I know that little Ryan (his namesake) will grow up knowing what a special horse he was. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Parboo family during this very difficult time. Kathy Marino
ellen zehnder More than 1 year ago
I was devastated to hear this terrible news. I knew the blood supply was a problem initially, but was hoping they could clear that hurdle and save him. Then the dreaded laminitis rears its ugly head, and just that quick. His owners truly loved this horse and that was so refreshing to hear. They say you shouldn't fall in love with your horses in the racing world. I think you should so that you can think of them as more than an asset, but a member of your family and treat them as such. RIP dear Giant Ryan.
Mark Scheider More than 1 year ago
I was really hoping that this wouldnt be the follow up article. Poor horse.