09/25/2014 10:22AM

Fort Erie to race at least 37 days in 2015

Email

With closing day for the 37-day season set for Tuesday, the Fort Erie Live Racing Consortium and the Ontario government reiterated their commitment to Fort Erie Race Track on Wednesday by announcing that the track will hold at least 37 race dates in 2015.

The exact number of race dates will be subject to approval by the Ontario Racing Commission.

“I want to commend everyone at Fort Erie Race Track on a successful 2014 season,” Jeff Leal, minister of agriculture, food, and rural affairs with the Ontario government, said in a statement. “I am delighted Fort Erie is able to continue racing with support from our government’s five-year Horse Racing Partnership Plan.”

Fort Erie’s 2014 season was highlighted by the Prince of Wales Stakes card on July 29, which had an estimated attendance of 12,000, was broadcast nationally on The Sports Network, and generated record handle of $1.77 million. Handle was up 35 percent over last year’s Prince of Wales Stakes card and surpassed the previous record of $1.47 million set in 2005.

The FELRC said that planning efforts for the 2015 racing season have already begun.