01/16/2010 1:00AM

Forecast disrupts Santa Anita training


ARCADIA, Calif. - Training will not be conducted on the main track at Santa Anita on Monday morning in anticipation of a series of rain storms that is expected to last through the week.

There is concern among track officials that the storms could lead to further disruption of training and possibly to the racing schedule later in the week.

Track superintendent Richard Tedesco said no training will be conducted Monday, which will allow officials to prepare the Pro-Ride synthetic track for that afternoon's nine-race program. In addition, he said training could be limited later in the week to the outside half of the track, if the predicted severity of the storm is accurate.

There is no scheduled disruption Monday to training on the dirt training track.

"I've seen so many different things," Tedesco said, referring to forecasts. "We could get up to 10 or 15 inches in the foothills. Down here, we could get 6 to 8 inches. I'm doing everything I can do."

Tedesco said the surface has been aerated to increase drainage and that a power-harrow procedure, designed to further increase drainage, was scheduled to be performed after the races on Saturday. The rain was expected to start in the early hours Monday.

If the rainfall estimates are accurate, live racing could be jeopardized, though the calendar could work in the track's favor. After Monday, there is no live racing on Tuesday and Wednesday. Four days of racing are scheduled from Thursday through Sunday. The absence of racing on Tuesday and Wednesday could give Tedesco and his staff additional time to prepare the track for racing. He declined to comment Saturday about the prospects of missing a day of racing this week.

The National Weather Service released a statement Friday warning that excessive rain and flash flooding is possible through the week.

Santa Anita has had drainage trouble at times with its synthetic track since such a surface was installed in August 2007. The original Cushion Track surface installed in 2007 failed to drain properly, leading to the cancellation of 11 days of racing in the winter of 2007-08. The poor drainage led officials to overhaul the surface with Pro-Ride synthetic material in February 2008 and more extensively in the summer of 2008. No racing days were lost during the 2008-09 meeting.

Ready's Echo getting tests on ankle

Ready's Echo, who finished second in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile here last November, has been sent to an equine clinic in Kentucky because of a concern over the condition of an ankle, according to Mike McCarthy, Todd Pletcher's assistant trainer.

Ready's Echo was being prepared for a start in the San Pasqual Handicap here on Jan. 9 when he was taken out of training. McCarthy said that Ready's Echo was sent to the Rood and Riddle clinic for tests.

Owned by Zabeel Racing, Ready's Echo has won 2 of 14 starts and $517,988. He finished three-quarters of a length behind Furthest Land in the BC Dirt Mile in his most recent start.

Monzante targeting Kilroe Mile

Monzante, a Grade 1 winner in 2008, will be pointed to the $250,000 Frank Kilroe Mile on March 6 after winning a one-mile allowance race on turf on Thursday.

Ridden by Garrett Gomez, Monzante rallied from last in a field of six to win by a nose in 1:35.59. The allowance race was the first win for the 6-year-old gelding since the Grade 1 Eddie Read Handicap over 1 1/8 miles on turf at Del Mar in July 2008.

"It was nice to see that turn of foot," trainer Mike Mitchell said. "I think we'll look at the Kilroe Mile. I think a mile to a mile and an eighth is a perfect distance."

Spring Style, who won an allowance race over a mile on turf for fillies and mares Thursday, will be pointed to the $150,000 Buena Vista Handicap over a mile on turf Feb. 15, trainer Ben Cecil said.

San Pedro Stakes fails to fill

Monday's $60,000 San Pedro Stakes for 3-year-old sprinters was canceled after failing to draw sufficient entries Friday.

Director of racing Mike Harlow said a substitute allowance race could be offered in coming days, but that it will need to be run soon to avoid any conflict with the $150,000 San Vicente Stakes over seven furlongs on Feb. 15.

Harlow said the San Pedro had three entries when the decision was made to cancel the race.