08/17/2014 12:53PM

Fashion Plate scratched from Rancho Bernardo Handicap

Email
Tom Keyser
Fashion Plate will now be pointed to the Sept. 27 Zenyatta Stakes at Santa Anita.

DEL MAR, Calif. - Fashion Plate, the winner of two Grade 1 races for 3-year-old fillies earlier this year, was withdrawn from Sunday’s $150,000 Rancho Bernardo Handicap at Del Mar because of a recent bout with colic, trainer Simon Callaghan said.

Callaghan said Fashion Plate was diagnosed with colic late Friday night and that she was treated with a tranquilizer, which prevented her from starting in the Grade 3 Rancho Bernardo.

“She got a bit of colic two nights ago, but she’s fine now,” Callaghan said. “She was getting a bit antsy. To prevent any potential issues, we gave her a bit of [tranquilizer]. Because of that, she can’t run.”

:: DRF Live: Get real-time updates and insights from DRF reporters and handicappers at Del Mar each race day

Callaghan said that Fashion Plate had sufficiently recovered to jog on Sunday morning. He said the $300,000 Zenyatta Stakes over 1 1/16 miles for fillies and mares at Santa Anita on Sept. 27 is a new goal for Fashion Plate. The Grade 1 Zenyatta Stakes would be Fashion Plate’s first start against older fillies and mares.

Owned by Michael Tabor and Arnold Zetcher, Fashion Plate has won 3 of 7 starts and earned $469,250. She won the Grade 1 Las Virgenes Stakes at Santa Anita in Feb. 1 and the Grade Santa Anita Oaks on April 5. Fashion Plate was later 11th in the Grade 1 Kentucky Oaks at Churchill Downs on May 2 and ninth in the Grade 1 Acorn Stakes at Belmont Park on June 7.

KissmeCatexoxo More than 1 year ago
Prayers for healing !! XOXO