02/22/2015 8:04PM

Far Right rallies to capture Southwest

Coady Photography
Mike Smith brings Far Right up the rail to win his second straight stakes in the Southwest.

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. - Far Right is making his presence known on the road to the Arkansas Derby. He won his second straight stakes in Oaklawn’s series for 3-year-olds on Sunday, when he closed up the rail in the slop for a three-quarter-length win over The Truth Or Else in the Grade 3, $300,000 Southwest. Far Right also came up the rail last month at Oaklawn to capture the $150,000 Smarty Jones.

“I was hoping [the rail] was opening up,” said winning rider Mike Smith. “We ducked down to the fence. It didn’t seem like the place to be today, but he made it look good.”

Far Right picked up 10 points for the Kentucky Derby to improve his standing to sixth on the overall list of points-earners with 22. The Truth Or Else earned four for running second, while Mr. Z earned two for third and Bold Conquest, one for finishing fourth.

Far Right ($7.40) had just a few horses beat early Sunday, as Mr. Z found himself on the lead, taking the field through an opening quarter in 23.61 seconds, a half-mile in 47.90, and six furlongs in 1:14.33. Far Right advanced on the final turn, angled off the rail coming to the quarter pole, and then darted back inside in the stretch. Far Right then put in a determined bid to win the 1 1/16-mile race in 1:47.50.

:: ROAD TO THE KENTUCKY DERBY: Prep races, point standings, replays

“I was just happy that he handled the surface,” said winning trainer Ron Moquett. “That was my concern. I have a lot of confidence in my horse and I was just thinking when the track was sloppy, ‘Well, here’s something I don’t know about [the horse].’ A good horse overcomes the situation, and I was very proud for the horse, for the owners, and for the barn.”

Harry Rosenblum, who co-owns Far Right with Robert LaPenta, said the next move is to be determined for Far Right. He said his initial thought is to pass on the Grade 2, $750,000 Rebel that is now 20 days away with the Southwest having been run six days later than first scheduled due to its weather-related cancellation Feb. 16. From there, Far Right would await the Grade 1, $1 million Arkansas Derby on April 11. However, Rosenblum stressed that “nothing is written in stone,” with regard to scheduling for Far Right.

Rosenblum, who is a native of Arkansas, dedicated the win to his wife, Kay, who fell this week and was unable to attend the Southwest.

Smith said he feels Far Right, is an improving horse.

“I think he’s just going keep getting better,” he said.

Far Right earned $180,000 for his win in the Southwest, his third career victory from eight starts. His earnings now stand at $425,766. Far Right is a son of Notional and was bred in Kentucky by Nossab LLC and Patrick Crowley.

Michael More than 1 year ago
Wow, did I strike a nerve? U must have had your $10 across on SB in the BC Classic, huh? Sorry he cost you your bus fare home...how much horse racing do you actually follow??? Game on Dude & Just the Beauty. Look them up, Sir...when I got my stacks down on a race, I'd rather have no one other then Smith in the irons...
stockmann9914 . More than 1 year ago
Stacks of what nickels and dimes?
Michael More than 1 year ago
Send me your email, chump and I will send you photographic proof of what I had down on last year's KYD. Know who you're trying to insult first, prior to throwing your two cents out!!! Then I'll expect an apology on this thread...
Michael More than 1 year ago
Stack=$10,000...Stacks=$20,000 minimum...in fact, I'll just screenshot what I threw down this past Sunday on my TVG account...stockmann9914, I challenge you to do the same and we'll see who the bigger dog is. Kind of a big bank take little bank game??? But I really don't expect any response from you. Keep your two cents and nickles end dimes to your pathetic life, LOSER!!!
tommy More than 1 year ago
I can't wait for the kentucky derby!!! Instead of saving up for a vacation, I'm saving up now for kentucky derby to so I can catch the pick 3, pick 4, exacta, daily double for $5, big win bets!! I'm an amazing chess player and handicapper so if I combine the 2, I can be very good. I might just use All in my kentucky derby 50 cent pick 3 and then play a second $1 pick 3 using the best 7 horses I like!!!! For the double I will bet all in kentucky derby race using the best 3 horses I like in previous race. It will cost $60 for $1 bet but the double should pay more than $60 for a dollar!!! Also I will play superfecta using ALL for 3rd and 4th and boxing the best 4 horses. I figure to spend anywhere from 1-2 thousand dollars!!!! Because to me 1-2 thousand means nothing but winning 10,000 or more means something!!!!
Michael More than 1 year ago
I recommend u just go ahead and take that vacation...oh, and don't forget your portable chess board...if 1 or 2 thousand is peanuts to u, Mr. Deep Pockets, what's another 10 dimes??? Save your system to yourself. U sound like a complete tool, bud!!!
Michael More than 1 year ago
Oh, and BTW, an amazing handicaper with an unlimited bankroll would have played in the BCBC! Might i ask, what place did u finish, oh humble one???
Michael More than 1 year ago
If you combine the two, you could be very good at what??? Checkmating your roomate while watching TVG? I'm not sure I follow u! Lol...
Ricky Williams More than 1 year ago
Money Mike!
Michael More than 1 year ago
Mike Smith...one of the all-time best at getting the job done when the money is on the table!!!
tommy More than 1 year ago
I have to disagree!!! Mike smith did not win one big grade 1 race last year!! Mike smith did not get in exacta in kentucky derby, Preakness, Belmont stakes, travers, and mike smith was on one of the best horses in shared belief and he could not even come 3rd in breeders cup. The Bayern bump in the start of race was nothing because it gave mike smith to adjust and push the horse which he didn't and he was out. Mike smith did not know how to pace shared belief in breeders cup and he lost because of the jockey, not the Bayern bump because he had so much time to adjust mid pack
Michael More than 1 year ago
MichaelLess than a minute ago Wow, did I strike a nerve? U must have had your $10 across on SB in the BC Classic, huh? Sorry he cost you your bus fare home...how much horse racing do you actually follow??? Game on Dude & Judy the Beauty. Look them up, Sir...when I got my stacks down on a race, I'd rather have no one other then Smith in the irons...
Billy Spathanas More than 1 year ago
Hey Tommy Boy, do you know what All-Time Best means ? Obviously not. It doesn't mean last year alone. When the $$ is on the line in the big one. Michael Earl Smith $$ Look him up, you will be amazed how he can horseback $$
Joel Firsching More than 1 year ago
Mr z says firing line and dortmund cant beat far right.
Guy John More than 1 year ago
Mr Z lost by a head and should have won the smarty jones. Far right loses if the rail doesn't open up again. FR is good but the Derby is Dortmunds race to lose. The only things that would stop him from not winning are injury or a bad derby post.
Joel Firsching More than 1 year ago
The charts say 3/4 of a length. No one else won a race while down on the rail in the stretch on sunday.
Jeff Byrd More than 1 year ago
Motivare came inside of Mr Maybee's Baby in the first. As for the Dortmund comment above--well, no one who's ever watched three races would make a statement like that about Kentucky Derby. There are one hell of a lot more things that can beat even the best horse in Kentucky Derby other than injury or bad post. And he's just not that much better than several other horses.
tommy More than 1 year ago
I say far right will get a far right rail in Kentucky derby!!! Post position 20 far right hence the name lol. Anyway far right got destroyed in delta downs and I want no part of him. In order for far right to beat firing line and Dortmund, he has to beat Ocho Ocho Ocho which he lost by over 9 lengths!!!!
Scott More than 1 year ago
Fun race to watch! I don't like any of these for the Derby, but was impressed with how long The Truth or Else sustained his run toward the front. Considering that nobody really had him on their radar maybe he has more room to improve and bares watching. Mr Z was very gritty to fight back at the top of the stretch and who knows, he might have won with an inside post today. Smith did a nice job of getting Far Right home. Overall, just a fun race.
Richard Manny More than 1 year ago
Did Calvin tip his hand here? Mile and a quarter looks pretty good to me with that sustained move.
tommy More than 1 year ago
We don't know yet about these horses because they didn't run 1 1/8 yet. But I will say this metaboss will destroy this field as he already ran 1 1/8 @ 1:49 and will improve more before derby time!!! At Santa Anita derby metaboss will do 1 1/8 @ 1:46 and will be a huge favorite. If he does not improve, it's too bad for his trainer then!!
Michael More than 1 year ago
Dude, Metaboss huge favorite??? Wow, your disillusioned...unless you consider 9/2 a HUGE favorite!!!
James P More than 1 year ago
Great ride by smitty any way you slice it.
Ron Rios More than 1 year ago
Wow can't run a horse, who is sharp right now, back in 20 days… dumb move….