01/30/2013 6:34PM

Fair Grounds: Summer Applause transferred from Calhoun to Brown

Summer Applause lost all chance in the Houston Ladies Classic when her saddle slipped and her rider lost his irons.

Summer Applause, who had a horrendous trip when sixth in the Houston Ladies Classic, is being sent to Florida to trainer Chad Brown, according to Bret Calhoun, who trained the filly last year and into the race Saturday.

“She’s being transferred,” Calhoun said Wednesday. “A reason wasn’t given. I think there’s more races for her there.”

Calhoun won last year’s Grade 3 Rachel Alexandra at Fair Grounds with Summer Applause. He also sent her out to finish second in the Fair Grounds Oaks and fourth in the Kentucky Oaks. In the Houston Ladies Classic, Summer Applause was unable to put in her run under regular jockey Miguel Mena after having to check hard in the early stages.

“She was last going into the first turn, she was behind horses and kind of ran up on heels and [Mena] took a hold of her and the saddle flipped up on her neck,” Calhoun said.

At that point, both of Mena’s feet came out of the stirrups. Mena was unable to right the situation until midway on the final turn.

“He was able to get the saddle back and eventually got back up in the saddle, but it was over,” Calhoun said.

Summer Applause was to ship from Fair Grounds to Florida on Thursday, Calhoun said. She races for Gillian Campbell, R Group Management, and Greenwood Lodge Farm.

Nathan More than 1 year ago
this is a good filly. calhoun is a GREAT trainer. chad will NOT improve this horse.
Timmy Luminais More than 1 year ago
I don't agree with that. Bret did the saddling Saturday and although he is a solid trainer he's not in Chad Brown's league.
It's the other way around my friend. Chad Brown is not in Bret Calhoun's league!
Timmy Luminais More than 1 year ago
In your dreams
Vikki Tucker More than 1 year ago
Timmy, Bret is a world class trainer and a classy, classy guy. I'm with Nathan, not so sure a barn change is needed, but I'm just a fan so what do I know? lol
Timmy Luminais More than 1 year ago
I do agree that Brett is a classy guy and a very good trainer, I however don't feel that he is as good as Chad. I'm sure the horse is in top shape and I also believe that the owners are holding Brett accountable for the saddle slipping. you can't take that race back so it's one less bullet in the gun.
fbwinners More than 1 year ago
I feel horrible for Brett. He is a first class guy and trained her to a tee for that race off the bench. It is ashame the owners jumped the gun on this move as it wasn't Brett's fault on what occurred last Saturday night.
Steve Hanna More than 1 year ago
Whom do you fault for equipment failure? Brett is good trainer, Brown is on the verge of being an exceptional trainer.