09/22/2012 1:30PM

The Factor retired to stud at Lane's End Farm

Shigeki Kikkawa
This victory in the San Carlos turned out to be the last for The Factor.

The Factor, who when right was one of the fastest horses in training, has been retired from racing and will stand stud at Lane’s End Farm in Lexington, Ky., it was announced Saturday.

George Bolton, who co-owned The Factor with David Shimmon’s Fog City Stable, said The Factor had an injury to his left front ankle that would have required 60 days’ rest. Since he was going to miss races like the Santa Anita Sprint Championship and the Breeders’ Cup Sprint, the decision was made to retire him.

“We’re retiring him completely sound, happily,” Bolton said Saturday at Parx where he was to run My Miss Aurelia in the $1 million Cotillion.

The Factor, a son of War Front trained by Bob Baffert, sold for $250,000 as a 2-year-old at the Barretts auction in May 2010. He won 6 of 13 starts and earned $922,180.

At 3, he went 4 for 7 with victories in the Grade 1 Pat O’Brien at Del Mar, the Grade 1 Malibu at Santa Anita, the Grade 2 San Vicente at Santa Anita and the Grade 2 Rebel at Oaklawn.

This year at 4, The Factor won the Grade 2 San Carlos. He lost his last three starts, including a runner-up finish to defending sprint champion Amazombie in the Grade 1 Bing Crosby at Del Mar on July 29.

Bolton, who will retain his share of the ownership of The Factor at stud, said The Factor would stand for $15,000.

“We’re focusing on getting quality mares, hopefully for a 5- to 10-year period,” Bolton said.

The Factor will ship from Southern California to Lane’s End on Wednesday, Bolton said.

“The Factor showed brilliant speed and exceptional scope and quality in his three seasons on the racetrack, and Lane’s End is very pleased to stand this stunning horse whose pedigree will be of great interest to breeders,” said Will Farish, the owner of Lane’s End.

Kyri Freeman More than 1 year ago
This guy at least retires at 4 (though how is he "sound" when it's b/c of an injury... I understand that he's not limping or in pain but he does have an injury), but I was honestly never that excited about him as a racehorse after some time in his 3YO season when he showed that he needed the lead and only handled certain tracks. I'd make him a bit of a longshot to be a significant sire.
PeterG More than 1 year ago
There might not be even 3 or 4 on that list that are trained by Baffert. A couple that I thought were Baffert horses turned out not to be. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/thoroughbred-breeding/sire-lists/general So far the only horse I've found trained by Baffert is Indian Charlie. I'll keep looking. I thought Empire Maker and Giacomo were Baffert horses at first glance but they weren't.
Aaron McCullough More than 1 year ago
Roman Ruler is another. But there are a lot of trainers out there that get well-bred horses. And also, Baffert's dominance in stakes races really seems to begin in the early to mid 2000s - we might just need to wait for more progeny of Baffert-trained horses to get to the track. Or maybe his training methods and race placement is letting his horses run beyond pedigree. Or maybe you're right and its juice.
Aaron McCullough More than 1 year ago
Forestry. Kafwain. Vindication.
PeterG More than 1 year ago
Here's a list of the top 150 Sires of 2012 . http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/thoroughbred-breeding/sire-lists I took a quick look and just from memory I saw maybe 3 or 4 horses that were trained by Baffert on that list. He's been one of the top trainers in the US for a long long time. You would think he'd have more horses on that list. Unless the results Baffert gets are from some other reason then the horse being very good? You get my drift? I only took a quick look and did it from memory, maybe I missed a few. If somebody has more time maybe they can look at that list and point out all the horses that Baffert trained on that list. I don't think there is many on there. If I'm wrong I will own up to it but I'd think twice about breeding to a horse that Baffert trained.
russell More than 1 year ago
I agree vince. I wouldn't touch any of his offspring.
Vince Lentini More than 1 year ago
One of the most overrated sprinters in racing history
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
Good grief. Well good luck to The Factor. Must be too hard keeping them sound out west.
Jordan More than 1 year ago
So, he has an injury to his left front ankle, but he's retiring"completely sound"? Have to agree with a few others here that a deciding factor, no pun intended, in the retirement is that he really didn't fit any of the Breeder's Cup races. He's not a 6 furlong sprinter(pace too hot for him), nor is he a miler. He is a 7 furlong horse, and there are no 7 furlong BC races for males.
JoyJackson21 More than 1 year ago
Oh, no. Another very talented horse being retired. I liked The Factor, he was so entertaining on a race track. His many stakes wins are a testament to his talent. And yes, he was fast. - LOL. He was well named, because he was indeed a factor in his races. I'm sorry we will not get to see him race again, but I am happy he is going to have a happy retirement and a happy life in the future. You are going to have lots fun romancing pretty mares and making babies, Factor. Have a happy life, and good luck to you in the future!
Bob Rose More than 1 year ago
I wish Lloyd's of London would lay odds on how long a baffert trainee's racing career actually lasts. That would be a fun bet!
Five More than 1 year ago
Would that bet be on min, max, or avg time in Baffert's hands. Would that be on 2yo, 3yo or older. I think, the low odds would be on the 6 - 1year times. They should lay odds on the % of 2yo's given to him that actually "won" a race. Note : not numbers, but the %. Would we, or could we, lay these odds on Exchange Betting ? That would be nice.
Five More than 1 year ago
sorry, 6 months - 1year times.
Robert Smith More than 1 year ago
A little bird told me that horses that run hard dont last as long as ones that dont.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
It helps to know how to actually work on the legs rather than tap and block.
redboy More than 1 year ago
Have to agree.Always made you think more than twice when betting against him,.luv to watch him run even in defeat. Enjoy that stud career!