08/03/2004 11:00PM

Ellis reinstates three stakes

Email

Officials at Ellis Park announced Wednesday that the three end-of-meet stakes that were canceled late last month have been reinstated following an agreement with the Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association.

Purses for two of the three races - the Dade Turf Classic on Sept. 4 and the Tri-State Handicap on closing day, Sept. 6 - have been cut from $100,000 to $75,000 because there will be no supplements from the Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund, said Ellis's racing secretary, Doug Bredar. The third race, the Governor's Handicap on Aug. 28, remains at $75,000, also with no development fund supplement.

Bredar said the reinstatements became possible because of the discovery of a little-known source called the "simulcast fee fund." Paul Kuerzi, general manager of Ellis, said the cancelation of the three races had caused "tremendous concern" among horsemen, leading the track and the horsemen's association to explore a way to reinstate them.