06/07/2004 12:00AM

For Elliott, there's no time to pout


OCEANPORT, N.J. - The magical run through the Triple Crown was over, ending with Smarty Jones's heartbreaking defeat in the Belmont Stakes.

The morning after dawned, and it was time for jockey Stewart Elliott to get back to work.

Elliott spent Saturday night after the Belmont on Long Island and drove to Monmouth Park the following morning to ride the card on a dreary, rain-soaked Sunday afternoon.

"We're all a little disappointed," said Elliott in the Monmouth jockey's room. "We did our best. The horse ran good. The mile and a half and the way things set up just didn't work out. He ran as hard as he could."

After battling his way out of the track in the massive traffic jam, Elliott got to the hotel and turned in about 11 p.m.

"It was late, but I slept all right."

But not before he mentally replayed the race several times.

"You look back at the way things went," said Elliott. "One thing I learned in this game is that you can't second-guess yourself. You can always look back and see things you could have done different."

The one thing Elliott could not give Smarty Jones was a breather.

"The horse got pressured a little bit throughout the race and at a mile and half, it took a toll," said Elliott. "I just believe that's the way things were meant to be."

With the Triple Crown concluded, Elliott is getting back to a normal routine. The interview requests have dwindled, the omnipresent television cameras vanished.

"It's just back to a normal day," said Elliott. "Business has been pretty good. Having a horse like that to ride and winning the Derby and Preakness has helped. It can't hurt."

Monmouth back on full schedule

After racing a pair of weekends to kick off the season, Monmouth now settles into a Wednesday-through-Sunday schedule for the balance of the meet, through Sept. 26.

Post time is 12:55 p.m.

A $38,000 turf allowance for fillies and mares going 1 1/16 miles is the feature on the first Wednesday.

The race, for fillies and mares who have never won two races, will be the first grass test for Notimetoquit.

Owner Michael Gill claimed Notimetoquit, a 3-year-old filly, from a maiden race for $15,000 in late March. She won that contest by 17 1/2 lengths.

Her two starts since then were allowance races on the dirt: a fourth-place finish at Pimlico and a third on opening day at Monmouth behind Grinch.

That latest effort impressed trainer Gammy Vazquez.

"Grinch had run some big races in Florida," Vazquez said. "We ran into a little traffic trouble and still got up for a piece."

Vazquez says he hopes Notimetoquit takes to the turf.

"She's a nice, hard-trying filly with a good grass foot," said Vazquez. "If she takes to the grass, then we have made a really nice claim."

Also in the field is Ituna, who holds the best career Beyer Figure in the field, with an 80 in her turf debut in her most recent start. Completing the field are Base Stealer, Evening Shadows, Awanda, Kenmarita, Lucky Wish, Dancing Colors, and Confidability.

Bracho hospitalized after spill

Jockey Richard Bracho spent the weekend in the Monmouth Medical Center with a back injury following a spill in the fourth race Saturday.

Bracho got the worst of a three-horse pileup.

Private Christmas, ridden by apprentice Oscar Gomez, clipped heels down the backstretch and fell into the path of Atti Girl Fergie with apprentice David Mello aboard. Bracho and Beautiful East plowed into the pile.

The horses and the two apprentice riders were uninjured.

Bracho wasn't as fortunate.

"It may be a possible cracked vertebra," said Dixie Shea, Bracho's agent. "Other than that, he's just bruised up a little but he's getting around okay."

Bracho was awaiting consultation with specialists determine the full extent of the damage.

Coa to begin three-day suspension

Eibar Coa got off to a fast start, booting home eight winners through the first six days of the meet.

Coa, the leading rider here in 2001 and 2002, will sit out a three-day suspension starting Wednesday for the disqualification of Unforgettable Max in the Frisk Me Now Stakes May 30.

"Everything is going great right now," said Coa. "Hopefully, we'll be able to continue the way we've been going. I've gotten on some very nice horses so far, and I just hope my business continues as good as it is now."