01/09/2013 4:41PM

Dutrow plans to fight suspension in federal court

Trainer Richard Dutrow Jr. plans to ask a federal court to prevent the New York State Racing and Wagering Board from suspending his license for 10 years.

OZONE PARK, N.Y. – In a last-ditch effort to save his training career, Richard Dutrow Jr. planned to seek intervention from a federal court Friday to prevent the New York State Racing and Wagering Board from suspending his license for 10 years.

“We’re going to go to federal court,” Dutrow said Wednesday morning.

On Tuesday, the New York Court of Appeals for the second time in three months ruled it would not hear Dutrow’s appeal of a suspension handed down by New York regulators in 2011. Dutrow was slapped with a 10-year suspension for a history of rules violations and for “conduct at racetracks in New York State and elsewhere [that] has been improper, obnoxious, unbecoming, and detrimental to the best interests of racing.”

Dutrow has been permitted to train while going through his legal options in New York. He was permitted to run his three horses entered on Wednesday – he had two thirds and a fourth – and will continue to be permitted to work until he is officially served notice of the suspension from the state attorney general’s office, according to a spokesman from the New York State Racing and Wagering Board.

“It is going to happen soon,” said Lee Park, a spokesman for the NYSRWB, who did not have an exact date.

Dutrow had horses entered to run Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

On Wednesday, Dutrow went about his business as usual, overseeing the training of his 60 horses based at Aqueduct, including the aptly named Thepowersthatbe, an unraced 3-year-old filly he worked out of the gate.

“Ain’t that what I’m supposed to be doing?” Dutrow said.

As he went from his barn to the track, Dutrow received words of encouragement from many on the backside.

“Everyone’s been very nice to me,” Dutrow said.

Dutrow vowed to continue to fight to save his livelihood, hoping to have a court hear his case.

Asked if he has thought about his future off the track if he is not permitted to train, Dutrow said, “I haven’t went over that yet, because I’m still here.”

Dutrow, 54, has won 1,809 races in his career, including the 2008 Kentucky Derby and Preakness with Big Brown. He has been the first or second leading trainer on the New York Racing Association circuit in eight of the last 12 years, including 2012 when he tied for the top spot with David Jacobson. Both trainers had 110 wins.

Jacobson, who is stabled one barn away from Dutrow on the Aqueduct backside, said he likes competing against Dutrow.

“I am honored to be stabled next to him to just watch him and learn,” Jacobson said. “It’s really sad to see someone with his talent not to able to train horses for a long time.”

Frank Laboccetta, now an assistant for Jacobson after working as a trainer on this circuit for several decades, believes Dutrow has been dealt with unfairly.

“I don’t think it’s fair what he’s receiving, I really don’t,” Laboccetta said. “He’s a good person, and I think he’s one of the best trainers in New York.”

Don Reed More than 1 year ago
MATT HEGARTY - DRF - Copied 08/10/06 [Thursday; edited for brevity, in 2006] Saratoga County prosecutors have submitted substances found in trainer Frank Laboccetta's car after an accident Saturday [08/05/06] to the state's crime lab under suspicions that the substances were illegal drugs, according to the county DA's office. Karen Heggen, chief trial assistant for the DA, said Wednesday [08/08/06] that Laboccetta has been charged with DWI. She said the substances sent to the crime lab had been taken from Laboccetta's car and from the trainer's clothing. She said it "would be premature to speculate" about the identity of the substances. On Tuesday [08/08/06], the Saratogian reported that a state police officer said he believed the substance was heroin. Laboccetta was involved in a two-car accident Saturday night [08/05/06] on Route 9 in Wilton. According to reports, Laboccetta's car drifted into the southbound lane and collided head-on with a minivan. Laboccetta was discharged from Albany Medical Center on Wednesday afternoon, according to the hospital. Calls to Laboccetta were not answered Wednesday.
Robert Smith More than 1 year ago
What does this have to do with the price of tea in china?
Charles Levy More than 1 year ago
it happened over 6 yrs ago
Please go away!!!
Robert Smith More than 1 year ago
I was thinking the same thing about ignorant racing "fans" but thats not gonna happen.
Charles Decker More than 1 year ago
Over 60 drug violations and he is being treated unfairly--that makes perfect sense. He has made a fortune in purses and at the window by violating and bending the rules. Not a bad living. Look at it this way, you got away with your nefarious ways for 30+ years, go away quietly and be thankful you were not a part of any legitimate business---you would have been gone long ago.
russell More than 1 year ago
Jose Amy received a lifetime ban. Dutrow should consider himself fortunate he only got 10 years and got to keep his ill-gotten gains.
Suzanne Thomas More than 1 year ago
“I will not give up, there’s no way I’m going to give up,” he said. “I keep saying it, but I know I’m going to be okay at the end of the day, I know it. I’m not interested in anything else. I’m going to fight until everybody sees it our way.” When you believe that everyone will eventually see things your way, you are living in a fantasy world, a 5 year old magical land. It's well past time, Mr. Dutrow, for a 54 year old man to grow up. (This applies to anyone whose attitude is, "My way or the highway).
Mary Raymond More than 1 year ago
Save that comment for our arrogant mayor Michael Bloomberg. Bert D
Kevin More than 1 year ago
Earth to Dutrow, you are done
Chris Butler More than 1 year ago
Next stop for Dutrow is WWE With apologies to WWE
Don Reed More than 1 year ago
Their standards are too high; he'd have to go to court in order to get in.
Tony Regalbuto More than 1 year ago
Just goes to show how arrogant he (Dutrow) is......appealing his case to a federal court knowing full well his case wont be heard!... Richard Dutrow, and the like (Jacobson) etc. is what's hurting the racing industry the most. Currently, the sport is a crooked as it can get. The entire industry needs to keep the pedal to the metal in dealing with trainers like Richard Dutrow!
Don Reed More than 1 year ago
Then the appeal to the United Nations... maybe even to the Palestinian high court, what say? GLOBAL LITIGATION!
Grazyna Mianska More than 1 year ago
Do not trust a wolf for dead until he has been skinned..
ianwestsider More than 1 year ago
Bonds, Clemens, Sosa. Dutrow.........4 peas in a pod. I have made money on him because if you know someone is cheating and you dont bet on his horses you are a fool but he is still a cheater and if you cant do the time dont do the crime
Patricia Doyle More than 1 year ago
Can you tell me what you mean by "cheating" when you say Dutrow cheats? Same for David Jacobson. If the horses were given medication that was banned then they would get caught as winners have to go to the spit box. At least that is the way it was in Harness racing. Winners and dead last to the spit box for urine samples. So, any cheating by way of drugs would be found out.
Well, if you have David Jacobson's support, that means the world. BTW, anyone ask david Jacobson about Hugable Tom lately? Google him if you don't recall the name.
Better yet, start here. http://www.nytimes.com/1981/12/03/sports/trainer-tells-of-efforts-to-save-hugable-tom.html
Robert Smith More than 1 year ago
So what are we to gather from Hugable Tom situation ? Heres something you might have missed. People that work with horses every day would still be dumb enough to feed a foundering horse high quality grain. Wish i had a dollar for everytime a groom thought you were cruel because the stable pony wasnt feed the same amount as the performing race horse and feed all the left overs to the pony. LOL next day the ponies walking around the shed on its hind legs and someone didnt know why.
Lucy Ohannessian More than 1 year ago
I not only recall the name, I recall the horse. He was stunning and a trier. Was heartsick when he died, but kept my head long enough to learn the facts and used my head before I passed judgment. You should try it some time.