06/03/2014 2:18PM

Dougherty family banking on Ride On Curlin

Barbara Livingston
Ride On Curlin will start as the likely second choice in Saturday's $1.5 million Belmont Stakes.

Dan Dougherty has been forced to gradually close all 16 of his furniture stores over the past five years due to the economic downturn. When the final two were shuttered last summer, the 55-year-old father of six faced an uncertain financial future.

But then along came Ride On Curlin.

Ride On Curlin, the Billy Gowan trainee who could start as the second choice in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on Saturday, has earned $714,687 since making his debut last June. He has had particular success at 3, running second in the Preakness and also picking up second money in the Grade 1, $1 million Arkansas Derby. Ride On Curlin’s other highlights include a seventh-place finish in the Kentucky Derby in Dougherty’s hometown of Louisville, Ky.

“I’m pretty much just racing this horse right now, and it’s been a godsend,” Dougherty said.

::DRF Live: Get real-time reports from Belmont Park each morning

Dougherty was a large-scale furniture dealer, with stores in Alabama, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, and Virginia. But business slowly started to unravel when his American-based suppliers were unable to compete with firms manufacturing furniture overseas, leading to one of them filing for bankruptcy.

“When all the industry went to China for production, it changed the whole ball game,” Dougherty said. “But the recession is the real problem.

“I’ve poked around in a few different things in furniture, but things are so consolidated, there’s not a whole lot out there. I haven’t found anything that looked like a good fit so far.”

The stressful situation – amplified by the fact that Dougherty and his wife, Lori, still have a pair of teenage daughters at home – has been eased by the success of Ride On Curlin. He is not only buoying up a family, but realizing dreams for Dougherty. Ride On Curlin gave the man who bought into his first horse in 2008 his first starter in the Kentucky Derby.

“I’ve always been a racing fan, and when I was 10 years old and moved to Kentucky, my first Derby that I can remember was the Dancer’s Image Derby [in 1968],” Dougherty said. “I pretty much have watched every Derby since. My parents always enjoyed the races.”

Dougherty’s first horse, Readyroll, was owned in partnership with Gowan.

“Corey Lanerie actually introduced us,” Gowan said of the Churchill-based jockey and neighbor of Dougherty’s. “Corey was working my horse [Readyroll], introduced me to Dan, and Dan wound up buying 40 percent. Then we ended up getting some other horses together.”

::2014 BELMONT STAKES: Latest news, video, and more

Dougherty spent $25,000 to purchase Ride On Curlin as a yearling, during the Keeneland September sale in 2012.

“He put up his money to try to get a good horse,” Gowan said. “We were claiming horses and buying horses. I suggested we go to the Keeneland sale to try to get us something nice, and we came up with Ride On Curlin.

“He put his money up, took his chances, and you have to tip your hat to him.”

Gowan said Dougherty will have invested a total of $110,000 to pay entry and starting fees to compete in all three legs of the Triple Crown.

“People might say he’s making money, but he’s spending a lot of money. It’s a very expensive game.”

Ride On Curlin began making good on Dougherty’s investment two starts into his career last July, when he won a maiden special weight sprint at Ellis Park with a Beyer Speed Figure of 91. He would go on to take his owner all the way to the Kentucky Derby.

“There’s [25,500] registered 3-year-olds [in North America] racing,” Dougherty said. “The odds of getting a horse that can make it to the Derby were very, very low. It was something else. It really was.”

Things got even better a few weeks later, when Ride On Curlin closed fast to finish second in the Preakness. He finished 1 1/2 lengths behind California Chrome, who on Saturday is bidding to become just the 12th horse in history to win the Triple Crown. Many believe Ride On Curlin is the one he will most have to fear in the lane in the Belmont.

“Curly’s doing very well,” Dougherty said of Ride On Curlin. “I think we have as good a chance as anybody to win that race. I think he’ll improve upon the Preakness, and the distance will play into our favor.

“It would be nice to win it. It would be nice to see a Triple Crown if we don’t. But if we can win it, we’re there to win it.”

Michael Medley More than 1 year ago
Like in the Preakness, Ride on Curlin will bring a nice Place price, as the odd on CC are so very short at 3/5.
Charles Vitale More than 1 year ago
Wow Post position #4 for my winner Curve who will be sitting on Chrome's until the 1/8 pole, only to draw away and win by 5. my computer order of finish. 4-2-1-8-6
George More than 1 year ago
Remember 2004! Go ROC. CC won't win TC.
jon g More than 1 year ago
ROC seems like a "non winning type" who can get some nice checks in high purse races. Unfortunately with the owner's financial problems,there is zero chance we see him as a 4 yo
Greg Scherr More than 1 year ago
We'll see him as a 4yr old, but with someone elses silks
Allan King More than 1 year ago
Nice story. Best he can do in Belmont is second. I have had win ticket on derby and preakness. I won't make that mistake again. California. Chrome Toys with this group. Good luck to Ride on Curlin's connections.
Cheryl Anne More than 1 year ago
I once bet a horse in both the KD and Preakness. He finished second both times to the same horse. I gave up on him in the Belmont and guess what? He won by 6+ lengths. The horse was Bet Twice, who turned the tables on Alysheba.
john g More than 1 year ago
Good story. Like others said the connections of Ride on Curlin are good people who take of their horse and have been rewarded. Good luck in the Belmont.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
These folks obviously care about their colt. Nice to see. And he's paying them back for that care. Just goes to show you that personalized attention goes further than having 100 head of horses. Never forget that. Best of luck.
Dipak Roy More than 1 year ago
do not be biased on CC, it is your money, look for other possibilities, there are more horses have very good pedigree who could stand distance, Belmont Stakes had always a surprised winner?
Dipak Roy More than 1 year ago
I believe also that CC will not stand 1-1/2 miles, whatever he might be and his pedigree doesn't indicate that he can stand distance, I agree that ROC and WS have the pedigree that can stand 1-1/2 miles, their pedigree are very strong and I will box ROC and WS for exacter, it is the replica run like CURLIN and HARD SPUN, my horses for Belmont Stakes are RIDE ON CURIN, WICKED STRONG, COMMANDING CURVE AND TONALIST. There will be no Treble Crown in 2014?
John Richardson More than 1 year ago
CC's pedigree doesn't allow for 1 1/4....he got it easily....please bet against. Hard Spun had no pedigree but couldn't get 1 1/8 with the best. Please bet tonalist with all your money.... A wet track front runner......right!
Mother More than 1 year ago
Dipak roy is heading for financial suicide. bet all your money , please be a fool.
Bruce Epstein More than 1 year ago
I think we watched a different race, ROC was closing but never got within 1.5 lenghts of CC. The race was never in doubt. I predict a big bounce for ROC. Sir, please dont' bet your money on him. Let him run and get a good pay day. But to think he was getting to CC is just a wish.
He did seam to hang at the end.They could have gone around again and wouldn't catch CC.