10/17/2014 3:35PM

Dime pick 10 makes its debut Monday

Email

A new 10-cent jackpot wager that requires a bettor to pick all 10 winners has been added to the menu for Gulfstream Park West and will be available only during the next four Mondays of racing during the Fall Turf Festival at the Miami track.

Takeout on the pick 10 will be just 10 percent, and the jackpot is being seeded with a $25,000 guarantee for this first Monday. As with the other popular jackpot wager at sister track Gulfstream Park, the Rainbow 6, the jackpot will be swept only when a ticket is a solo winner.

Otherwise, 60 percent of that day’s pool will be distributed among the tickets with the most winners, with the remaining 40 percent going into a carryover pool. There will be a mandatory payout of the pick 10 pool on the final Monday, Nov. 17.

Track spokesman Dave Joseph said GPW officials are unsure what to expect in terms of handle because of the newness of the pick 10.

As for this Monday, the featured ninth of 10 races is a $39,000, first-level allowance at a two-turn mile on the main track, with the quartet of None Like Nolan, Rakete, Dudeman, and Big Blue Talent likely to attract the vast majority of tote action.

None Like Nolan, a 3-year-old ridgling by Malibu Moon, hails from the barn of Todd Pletcher, who has been the dominant trainer at Gulfstream (East) for more than a decade. In prior years, Pletcher rarely had runners at Calder during the summer or fall, but he recently sent horses back to south Florida when announcing that he intends to maintain a year-round operation on the circuit.

First post is 1:05 p.m. Eastern.

Gulfstream Park West was known for many years as Calder until the Stronach Group changed its name after reaching an agreement to lease the track this summer from Churchill Downs Inc.

Race 9

KEY CONTENDERS

None Like Nolan (Last 3 Beyers: 68-81-83)

◗ Dogwood Stable color-bearer flashed ability when trying tough brands of maidens before finally poking through with a nose victory in the Saratoga slop July 31. Got trounced in his first attempt at this condition, but that was against a rugged crew on closing day at Saratoga, and now he finds the kind of company he won’t mind keeping.

Rakete (Last 3 Beyers: 62-87-86)

◗ Was sent to the sidelines by trainer E.T. Broome following that subpar effort in mid-August at Parx, but the preceding string of solid tries (five straight races when first or second) marks him as a player here.

Dudeman (Last 3 Beyers: 86-79-70)

◗ Rockport Harbor colt earned a lifetime-high Beyer in a runner-up finish for this same one-other-than condition over at Gulfstream in a one-turn mile that makes him an obvious threat for Jane Cibelli.

Big Blue Talent (Last 3 Beyers: 79-77-63)

◗ Ramsey-bred 3-year-old gelding was claimed last out for $40,000 by low-percentage connections from Wesley Ward, which doesn’t necessarily bode well for his chances in a first two-turn try.