12/04/2015 3:32PM

Denman retires from Santa Anita, to remain at Del Mar

Benoit & Associates
Trevor Denman, the announcer at Santa Anita for more than 30 years, is retiring from that job but will continue to call races at Del Mar.

Trevor Denman, the legendary announcer who has revolutionized race commentary in the United States in the last 30 years, is retiring from his position at Santa Anita, the track announced on Friday.

Denman will not announce the races for the upcoming winter-spring meeting, which begins on Dec. 26, but is not stepping away from the sport. Del Mar officials said on Friday that Denman will continue to be the race caller at the track’s two annual meetings, in the summer and fall.

“He is planning on staying at Del Mar,” Del Mar president Joe Harper said. “I talked to Trevor and we’re looking forward to having him back.”

Santa Anita officials have launched a search for a replacement.

Denman emigrated from his native South Africa in 1983. He began calling the races at Santa Anita at the Oak Tree meeting in the fall of 1983 and became the track’s full-time announcer for the 1984-85 winter-spring meeting.

Over time, he become one of the most popular announcers in the world for his approach of not only describing the position of the runners but adding in-race commentary. often about whether a horse was running poorly or, in one of his most familiar phrases, was “moving like a winner.”

Denman, 63, made the announcement through a statement issued by Santa Anita, saying he wanted to reduce his workload and spend more time traveling.

“After calling the races for 44 years, I have come to the decision that it is time for me to kick back, relax, and enjoy the rest of my life on my farm in Minnesota and do some traveling both throughout America and overseas,” he said.

Santa Anita chairman Keith Brackpool paid tribute to Denman’s service at the historic track.

“We knew this situation would come one day, but we were selfishly hoping it would be many years down the line,” he said in a statement. “We have had the privilege of listening to the best of the best for 33 years. No one paints the portrait of a race like Trevor Denman.”

At one point in the 1990s, Denman was the race commentator at all four Southern California tracks – Del Mar, Fairplex Park, Hollywood Park, and Santa Anita – but cut back on that schedule in later years.

Harper was quick to praise Denman’s place in American race commentary.

“In my gazillion years at the racetrack, I think he’s the best announcer I’ve ever heard,” he said.

Terry Frierson 4 months ago
Racing Enthusiast I have an LP copy of Hollywood Parks Greatest hits - Re-live 15 of the greatest races of all time mint condition can be put on CD or DVD Call Terry 818 691-9701
 Tell - Michael Wrona and Trevor Denman
Terry Frierson 4 months ago
tell Trevor or anyone who might be interested I have a LP copy of Hollywood Parks Greatest hits - - - Re-live 15 of the greatest Horaces ever call Terry 818 691-9701 or email terryfrierson2@gmail.com
Miguel Bellofatto More than 1 year ago
you did nit have to watch the races, just close your eyes and listen to TD
Rudy White More than 1 year ago
Best race announcer ever !! Classy individual,1 of a kind !!
Georgina Brown More than 1 year ago
He only called like the Aussies and South Africans have been calling since radio was invented.The rest of the world has now caught up including America..thanks to Denman
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
i respect this caller he had an ability to pick up a horse who was going to run well very early and usually they won. he was also not shy about calling out a poor ride. will be missed.
Jesse More than 1 year ago
The very best "replacement " would be Michael Wrona. Big shoe's to fill. How do you "replace" the BEST racing commentator of our lifetime ???
Jesse More than 1 year ago
I recall, with great fondness, when I first heard (and later met) Trevor. He is by far the greatest track announcer /commentator of my generation. Good Luck in your "semi-retirement Trevor. YOU shall most certainly be missed & un-replaceable.
jenni david More than 1 year ago
my co-worker's sister-in-law makes $71 every hour on the computer . She has been fired for five months but last month her income was $16368 just working on the computer for a few hours. see page.......... w­w­w.­e­a­­rn­i­8.­co­m
Dan Green More than 1 year ago