11/21/2013 4:23PM

Delta Jackpot, as usual, presents betting challenge

Coady Photography
Because of the long run to the first turn in the Jackpot, Rise Up should have plenty of time to gain position from post 10.

The Grade 3, $1 million Delta Downs Jackpot has long been a great betting race because it brings 2-year-olds from around the country together for a 1 1/16-mile stakes on a six-furlong track. But the Jackpot’s identity may have broadened last year when three of its starters – Goldencents, Itsmyluckyday, and Mylute – advanced to the 2013 Kentucky Derby.

Doug O’Neill, who trains Goldencents, and Tom Amoss, behind Mylute, are both back with starters for the 11th running of the Jackpot on Saturday. O’Neill has Breeders’ Cup Juvenile starter Rum Point, while Amoss will counter with local prep winner Rise Up. The Jackpot field of 10 – all chasing the race’s 17 available points toward Kentucky Derby preference – includes Coastline, a stakes winner at Churchill Downs.

Adding further depth to the cast is Casiguapo, the runner-up in the Grade 1 Hopeful at Saratoga; Big Bazinga, a close second in the Grade 3 Grey at Woodbine; and Whyruawesome, the runner-up in the Grade 3 Arlington-Washington Futurity.

“To me, the Jackpot has four or five logical horses that either look good enough to win or are so lightly raced they look like they have the ability to improve in this race and win,” Amoss said. “I think it’s very competitive.”

[DELTA JACKPOT: Get PPs, watch Saturday's full card live]

The Jackpot is the richest race of the Delta meet, and the Vinton, La., track is showcasing it in spectacular style. Saturday’s card, which has a special first post of 1:15 p.m. Central, boasts eight stakes worth $2.2 million in total. A $200,000-guaranteed pick four runs on races 4-7. The all-stakes sequence includes the Grade 3, $500,000 Delta Downs Princess for 2-year-old fillies and ends with the Jackpot. The bet has a 50-cent minimum.

Rum Point was 12th in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile after a less-than-ideal start. He has a chance to wire the field Saturday.

“His race in the Breeders’ Cup, he stumbled a little bit,” O’Neill said. “The game plan was to try to send him near the front, and after he stumbled, he lost all chance. Fortunately, he came back fine, and we’re just putting a line through that race.”

Rum Point, who will be back on Lasix after racing without the diuretic in a policy stipulated by the Breeders’ Cup, was a maiden special weight sprint winner at Del Mar who earlier this fall finished fourth in the Grade 1 Breeders’ Futurity at Keeneland. Mario Gutierrez has the mount on the Reddam Racing-owned runner, who will break from post 5 in the two-turn Jackpot.

“Ideally, he breaks clean and is laying right up there, one-two-three,” O’Neill said.

Rise Up, who won the second stakes of his career in last month’s $200,000 Jean Lafitte at Delta, drew the widest post in gate 10.

“I think in our favor is post position, which might sound a little counterintuitive because you’re in the 10 hole and it’s a tight-turn racetrack,” Amoss said. “But going a mile and a sixteenth, there’s a very long run to the first turn. It gives a horse like ours, one with tactical speed, a chance to watch the race unfold before making a decision where to be.”

Paul and Andrena Van Doren purchased Rise Up privately following his win in the $100,000 Mountaineer Juvenile in August. He showed a new dimension in his 6 1/2-length Jean Lafitte win by stalking the pace. One start prior, Rise Up dueled and finished sixth in the Grade 3 Iroquois at Churchill.

“He didn’t relax very well, and that’s something we’ve worked on since the moment that race ended, through the Jean Lafitte, up to today,” Amoss said.

Gerard Melancon has the mount.

Coastline has made a splash in just three starts. After winning his maiden at seven furlongs at Keeneland, he dueled and drew clear by three lengths in the $61,000 Street Sense, a one-turn, one-mile race at Churchill on Oct. 27. Coastline was later flattered by fourth-place finisher Almost Famous.

“Almost Famous came back and won impressively, and that’s encouraging for us,” said Mark Casse, who trains Coastline for John Oxley.

Coastline will break from post 2 under Shaun Bridgmohan.

“He’s shown that he can rate a little bit,” Casse said of Coastline. “I hope for him to be close. I don’t see him being on the lead.”

Casiguapo will be back on Lasix for the Jackpot after racing without it when fourth in the Champagne at Belmont. He invades from Calder, where he worked five furlongs from the gate in a bullet 1:00.80 on Nov. 16. Luis Saez has the mount for trainer Mario Morales.

Others set to start include the stakes-placed maidens Mighty Brown and Flat Gone; Kentucky-based Rankhasprivileges, a debut winner at 1 1/16 miles who will be first-time Lasix; and Delta maiden winner Roman Unbridled.

The forecast is for highs in the mid-50s and a 30 percent chance of showers, according to weather.com. The complete card can be streamed at DRF.com.

StockPicker More than 1 year ago
Coastline looks to tough here. Love the Sire. Also do not discount #1. Bred for dirt.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Federal indictments from the FBI today for three trainers and the clocker at Penn National. Interesting that they are going for a different and very important tact. Fraud as in defrauding the people betting on horse racing at Penn National. Wire fraud in that it crosses state lines and goes out over the internet. Up to 20 years and $250,000 in fines.
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
Good, throw the book at them.
Mark More than 1 year ago
love that one can not comment on the baffert article. going to be fun to watch his win % plummet .
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
It will be a long slow slide. Although they highly suspected blood doping, duh, couldn't get him on it, but if they are now watching it might make a difference. At least it's likely that less will be dying from sudden cardiac failure now that he's off the thyroxine. Still training with clenbuterol no doubt.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
If it was O'Neil under investigation think they would allow comments and maybe even do some reporting?
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
But, Mark, he was exonerated - by Steve Anderson and himself. Now don't talk about this again!
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
The 7 looks super live.
Perl More than 1 year ago
He caught me eye too, Ian. Not sure what kind of runners Einstein had been producing thus far but he was a good versatile horse with a sire who excelled on the dirt. Plus you've got Mr P underneath. Doubt you get 15-1 but there are some things to like.
Ian GW More than 1 year ago
Was a Bobby Frankel runner I believe and could overcome adversity. Ken Mcpeek dont win often with FTS. Has to have talent. Mr P on the bottom is a plus.
ghost2_ More than 1 year ago
Coastline looks especially intriguing, but I'll be happy if any three of the starters make next year's Derby.
Charles Sakach More than 1 year ago
This is the superfecta: Casiguapo Coastline Big Bazinga Rankhasprivileges I'll post my pace figures if anyone is interested.
Boyd Cord More than 1 year ago
pace figs on a short track don't work
Charles Sakach More than 1 year ago
It is still 8.5 furlongs. Box 'em. Those selections were eyeballed in a matter of a few moments after writing them on paper.
ghost2_ More than 1 year ago
I hope your picks do well.
Joe Rockhold More than 1 year ago
I also like Big Bazinga and Rankhasprivleges to outrun their odds.
Boyd Cord More than 1 year ago
To all those playing Saturday at Delta off of I-10 Good luck. Don't know about you but afer last summer and up to he Breeder's cup, the racing qualty has fallen off big time. I stopped. I'm waiing for the usual suspects 'at tampa' to fire up until May comes around.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
I wouldn't call it disheartening that you can't comment on the Baffert sudden death investigation story. I would say it's more than very interesting. As Baffert seems to be the golden boy of most writers here, he seems to be under their protection of any harsh comments. Some very interesting information in that story.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
You girls giving that comment thumbs down should state your case. Didn't say any of the things I should have that are obvious to me, but protection from harsh comments get a thumbs down. Settle down girls.
Steve Schnell More than 1 year ago
Post using your name them some people may feel compelled to explain their rationale to you... Even though I mostly agree with you, posting under monikers always makes me question someone's motives...
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
99% of all posters use monikers. I have no motive other than having an opinion of certain trainers such as this one that appears to have quite a bit of truth to bolster that opinion.
Steve Schnell More than 1 year ago
Tweet Bob Baffert with your opinion and see how quickly you are sued. I'll make it easy for you... His handle is @midnightlute
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Wow you sure are a funny and misinformed one Schell. Sued for having an opinion? Ha. You actually think I can be sued for saying that not allowing comments on an article discussing Bafferts investigation for having a very high percentage of all horses that died of sudden cardiac failure is protection from harsh comments? Now you're just a silly person, and clearly no knowledge of the law. 1 article of about every 10 thousand does not allow comment. And that statement is basis for a law suit? You're funny.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Sorry Schnell, maybe you meant I could be sued for the other statement of, "some very interesting information in that story." Yea, maybe I could be sued for that in grade school court.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Steve Schnell has exactly the same meaning to me as any moniker.
Steve Schnell More than 1 year ago
It's easy to make comments when you don't have to tack your reputation and/or name to it. I really doubt you'd make those comments to Bob Baffert's face... This you are hiding behind "horse cents". Plus... If you think 99% use monikers... Look at the other comments... I think your math is lacking...
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
I have had the same opinion of the man for 20 years, while most have been blind to the obvious. I find it odd that when the truth begins to rear it's ugly head, there are always those that still keep their eyes closed but open their mouths wide in defiance of that truth. You do not know who I know and what I have said to whom so stop stamping your feet. Sorry about the exaggerated math. At least 90% of all posters use monikers. Now I suppose you will do a lengthy research on the accuracy of that number. Oh, and speaking of math, 100% of all Bafferts horses trained on thyroxine. Want to check the accuracy of that number?
Steve Schnell More than 1 year ago
Now if you would reread my original post I said I agreed with you. However tossing insults is no way to get your point across. Read my original post... Then I'll consider accepting your apology...
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Schnell, the post you are now taking offense to is not in reply to your original post, it is to the post of being sued for my original statement. Maybe you should read my original statement.
Boyd Cord More than 1 year ago
You guys are Hilarious ha ha ha ha ha. Of course,Baffert cuts corners. I can't judge the man, if I were a tranier I'd certaninly want to win 20-25% of my races and live large in California. I would also not want my young good horses getting hurt. Tha's my problem, but I don't know why he seems to have a lot of young hurthorses for I write software for a living.
Perl More than 1 year ago
"You girls" = Misogyny.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Thanks for owning up Perl.
Perl More than 1 year ago
I own up to only one of the minus ones. I can't speak to all the others. I think your point is valid but the "you girls" thing is bad. Males are raised so poorly in our culture.
ghost2_ More than 1 year ago
To be fair, Perl, half or more of those who gave thumbs down to Horse Cents' misogynistic post probably are male. Plenty of men as well as women know that gendered insults are nasty and low-class.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
I heard you the first time ghosty girl. As I said I should have said boys and girls. Way too sensitive.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
I do find it odd that the girl comment came in response to all the negatives for the original comment but now for both of you it's about the girl comment and not about the original comment which got all the negatives and prompted that comment. I'm truly not offended at your misinterpretation of the horror you find in my comment regarding the negatives in my original comment. I still think there are men that need to tighten their skirts. Oh no I did it again.
Steve Schnell More than 1 year ago
This makes my point. I really doubt you'd make these comments if your name had to stand beside of it...
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
stevey, what do these comments have anything to do with using a moniker or real name no one would know anyway? If you'd like you can give me your actual name and address and we can talk all you want bucko. As I said, my original comment was not worthy of the hate and stands as I said it. My response to those negatives stands as I said it. Saying I hate women is hysterical on it's face. So lets chat all you want but let's not waste these fine peoples time anymore.
Steve Schnell More than 1 year ago
Where did I say you hate women??? I just said that you might actually have to own up to your comments if you put your name beside of it... This is my name... why don't you give me yours, "bucko"?
Thinking that "You girls" equals hatred of women = mysology
actually it's misology.
ghost2_ More than 1 year ago
Gendered insults... the epitome of class.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Wow you girls sure are sensitive. I suppose I should have said "boy and girls."
Since I have no standing in the industry, me posting anonymous means as much as Horse Cents posting as Horse Cents as Steve Schnell posting as Steve Schnell (unless you're important and I just don't know, sorry Steve). The only reason I'm thinking of not posting as Anonymous Yahoo anymore is I don't want to be confused with the other Anonymous Yahoo guy. But who I am really doesn't affect the fact that turning comments off for certain stories is wrong.
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
Of course you are exactly correct and completely logical.
It's extremely disheartening that commenting is not allowed on the Baffert story. Why have commenting at all if you're going to restrict it for important stories?
Steve Schnell More than 1 year ago
It's just as disheartening that you aren't willing to add your name "anonymous".
Why does my name matter? All I think is that commenting should be allowed on all stories or none. How can someone not agree with that?
stagedoorball More than 1 year ago
Casiguapo and Rum Point, leaning to one or the other on top with Rise Up next.