08/14/2013 7:52PM

Del Mar: Sirocco Strike takes Green Flash Handicap via disqualification

Benoit & Associates
Sirocco Strike (above) inherited the win after Distintiv Passion was disqualified from first in the $100,690 Green Flash Handicap at Del Mar.

DEL MAR, Calif. – The $100,690 Green Flash Handicap at Del Mar on Wednesday was decided in the stewards room when race winner Distinctiv Passion was disqualified and placed third for lugging out in the stretch, resulting in the promotion of Sirocco Strike from second to first.

Distinctiv Passion set the pace in the five-furlong turf race and led by a length with a furlong remaining. In the last 50 yards, with his advantage diminishing, Distinctiv Passion drifted to the outside, bumping Strong Wind. At the same time, Sirocco Strike ran past Strong Wind with a wide rally and was second at the wire.

After a five-minute review, stewards Scott Chaney, Kim Sawyer, and Tom Ward ruled that Distinctiv Passion cost Strong Wind a placing because of the bumping incident. The 5-2 favorite, Distinctiv Passion was timed in 55.34 seconds.

Sirocco Strike ($16.40) and Strong Wind were promoted one position each.

[DEL MAR 2013: Complete meet coverage, schedule, race replays]

“It definitely cost him a placing,” said Mark Glatt, who trains Strong Wind.

Sirocco Strike won his first stakes in the Green Flash for owner Truline Racing and trainer Jeff Mullins. Julien Leparoux rode Sirocco Strike and said he noticed the bumping incident between rivals in the final yards.

“He definitely came out and hampered the other one,” Leparoux said of Distinctiv Passion.

Leparoux said that Sirocco Strike would have won in another stride.

“In the next jump, I was in front,” he said.

A 6-year-old gelding by Forestry, Sirocco Strike was third in the 2012 Green Flash, emerging from the race with a bone chip in a knee, Mullins said. Sirocco Strike returned to racing in April of this year.

The Green Flash was his sixth start of the year. He won an optional claimer over six furlongs on turf at Betfair Hollywood Park on July 4 and was second to Distinctiv Passion in an optional claimer over five furlongs on turf here July 26.

Sirocco Strike has won 4 of 20 starts and $232,876.

mikey More than 1 year ago
I had the 4 and the 1 feel bad for those with only the 4.He had every chance to get by.The 5 was never going to be second the one was the strongest closer.Give the jock days and a fine.Plus this was in a 2 mil p6 the foul had to be more than a small bump which happens at the start of many many races.A lot of races are lost at the start as well as the finish.
John More than 1 year ago
Maybe Im a bit bias because I got moved up, but it seemed obvious to me , the DQ ! I think Strong Wind was getting close enough to maybe catching Distinctiv Passsion at the wire, and if Sirocco Strike hadnt caught Distinctiv Passion this time, he would have been behind Strong Wind at the wire, so the DQ fit the criteria. The bump cost him at least 2nd before the DQ. That was good Karma for me, now Im in line for it going the other way, sort of my turn now !
Rob More than 1 year ago
Lets poss a question here. 1 Did the winner drift out while being hit Lefthanded? Answer Yes 2 Did the winner come out 3 to 4 paths? Answer Yes 3 Did the winner bump the horse coming too him? Answer Yes 4 Should there have been a change? Probabally not but the stewards are stuck now because that horrible call at the start of the meet and now when a horse is costing a placing they make a change and thats what happened when Stevens grandstanded a bit. I agree with the point somebody made below don't hurt the bettor and slam the jockey with fines and days it is the only way to protect the bettors.
Jon More than 1 year ago
1. Did the winner drift out while being hit left handed? Answer Yes 2. Did the winner come out 3 to 4 paths: Answer No. Just slightly to cause a bump. 3. Did the winner bump the horse coming too him? Yes. A slight bump while pulling away from him & also about 3 or 4 strides from the finish. 4. They should not have been a change as he had already put away that horse and that horse would not have held off Sirocco. Hence it did not cause him a better finishing position. Again I did not bet on this race as there was not much value in return. I usually bet trifecta's & superfecta's. STEWARDS BLEW THIS ON BADLY.
AndyUlrich1 More than 1 year ago
go to a dispensary you have glaucoma
AndyUlrich1 More than 1 year ago
Worst DQ EVER.
zerosumzen More than 1 year ago
Maldonado called a total BS foul a few days ago. Can't find the race, but there was absolutely nothing and the stewards must have been scratching their heads when reviewing the tape. Maldonado also called that foul some weeks ago that resulted in the pick six carryover. So my guess is Gary showed him what happens if you keep calling out your fellow riders.
zerosumzen More than 1 year ago
It was race 2 on Sunday. If you watch the headon you'll see him taking out Orozco on the 6 horse right out of the gate, and then he comes up with a rider's claim for foul for God knows what in the stretch run.
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
I bet the race and I am pissed. I am tired of this crap. I was robbed of the late pick four which I had, but was DQ'd I ended on Dolphin Shorts and The 11 I can't remember the name, but regardless it was BS. They Stole from me and others a couple of weeks back. I had Cosmic Heat to end a Pick 3 and was DQ'd. Where is the consistency? That is all I ask for as a bettor. Let me know its going to be called the same way every time. Danderek interfered with Beach-combing Saturday causing him to cost Key Decision 2nd and no DQ. It was worse than Maldonado's bump and it clearly cost Key decision a placing. Curly Top wipes out 2 horses and no DQ. I am over these stewards. I love horse racing, but anytime you have 4 guys in a booth who can change the outcome of a race is absolute BS. Leave the order of finish alone like they do in the UK and Europe. A hefty fine and a long suspension keeps the rodeo riding away. we don't need an archaic system that is flawed screwing over the bettor.
Joel Winicki More than 1 year ago
Flagrantly bad call. SoCal stewards play favorites, they always have.
zerosumzen More than 1 year ago
So that's why they DQ'd a 5/2 horse and moved up a 7/1 horse to win.
Joel Winicki More than 1 year ago
I was referring to jockey's, not odds. Although it's in their best interest to move up the higher odds horse since it increases payouts and helps create carryovers. California stewards have convinced me that they are far from being on the up & up.
GuyFleegman1 More than 1 year ago
Pathetic call....pathetic
Jason Cline More than 1 year ago
Another bad call by the stewards... If Stevens kept riding he would have had second place without having to rely on the stewards. Give Stevens an Oscar, but give Distinctiv Passion the win.