Updated on 09/16/2011 6:44AM

Del Mar Show refuses to lose

Bill Denver/Equi-Photo
After steadying repeatedly in Saturday's Ft. Lauderdale, Del Mar Show rallies to a neck victory.

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. - Del Mar Show overcame a seven-month layoff and a nightmarish trip to run down North East Bound for a well-deserved neck victory in Saturday's $100,000 Ft. Lauderdale Handicap.

Del Mar Show, away from the races since June, was forced to steady several times inside Mr. Livingston during the opening half-mile of the 1 1/16-mile Ft. Lauderdale. Jockey Jerry Bailey aboard Del Mar Show was forced to continue to steady along behind Mr. Livingston around the second turn, angled five wide to secure racing room into the stretch, and then ran down the leaders with a powerful closing surge.

North East Bound, who forced the pace of longshot Tv Sports Director before gaining a short advantage in early stretch, suffered his second frustrating defeat this month. He was also collared in the final strides by Pisces when second in the Appleton Handicap on Jan. 5.

Tv Sports Director held gamely to finish third, a half-length behind North East Bound. He was followed by Galic Boy, Mr. Livingston, Kiss a Native, and Groomstick Stock's.

Del Mar Show paid $4.20 and covered the distance in 1:41.54 over a firm turf course.

"I not only had to overcome the other horses, I had to overcome Coa too," an angry Jerry Bailey said, referring to jockey Eibar Coa aboard Mr. Livingston. "He was riding me and not his race."

"It was a horrible trip," winning trainer Bill Mott said. "It was unbelievable how rough the race was. I'm really unhappy about what happened. You hate to see a horse get roughed up like that. He [Del Mar Show] ran a spectacular race. He should have been an easy winner. He's a terrific little horse with a lot of guts."

Mott said he had thought about running Del Mar Show back in the Canadian Turf Handicap on Feb. 23, but in light of the rough trip might have to alter those plans.

"I'll probably have to think about giving him a little more time now than I'd thought," said Mott. "This was like running two races today."