08/01/2004 12:00AM

Del Mar pick six pays $2.1 million


DEL MAR, Calif. - A single winning ticket in Sunday's pick six at Del Mar was worth a California record $2,100,017.

The ticket was purchased on-track by Scott Guenther, who owns horses under the name Desperado Stable. Guenther said he owned 80 percent of the winning ticket, and that the remaining 20 percent was split among three friends.

Guenther's ticket cost $1,152. It was the only ticket he purchased. He used four horses in three of the races, three horses in two of the races, and singled the winner of the final race, Golden Souvenir.

Both Golden Souvenir and Choctaw Nation, who won the featured eighth race, are trained by Jeff Mullins. Guenther is part of the partnership that owns Buddy Gil, who is trained by Mullins. A beaming Guenther was in the winner's circle following the victories of both Choctaw Nation and Golden Souvenir.

"Jeff is like a brother to me. To beat Pleasantly Perfect, then come back and win the last race, really made this special," Guenther said.

Sunday's pick six pool was $3,207,571. There was a two-day carryover of $717,343 entering the card, and another $2,490,228 was bet Sunday.