07/31/2014 8:32PM

Del Mar cancels turf racing until Aug. 9

Email

DEL MAR, Calif. – Del Mar has abandoned turf racing until Aug. 9 and will not conduct sprints or races for claimers on turf for the remainder of the summer meeting, the track announced on its website Friday.

The decisions were made after track and racing officials discussed options Friday, a day after a filly was seriously injured in a turf sprint on the troubled course.

Turf racing was canceled from Friday through Sunday after the filly Serious suffered sesamoid injuries in a turf sprint. Previously, four horses were euthanized as a result of injuries suffered in turf races July 17, July 25, and July 26.

In the hour after Serious was injured, track president Joe Harper said turf racing would not be held until Wednesday to allow evaluation and maintenance of the course through the weekend. On Friday, the date was pushed back to Aug. 9 to allow additional days of maintenance. Harper said the decision to cancel turf races this weekend was made in consultation with the California Horse Racing Board.

There is widespread concern that the turf course is too firm. The course is new, having been installed over the winter.

In the statement published on its website, Del Mar said it will reduce the number of scheduled turf races by 33 percent from 2013, that prerace inspections of runners will be enhanced, and that Dr. Mick Peterson of the University of Maine has been hired as a consultant.

In 2013, 94 of the 328 races run at the meeting were on turf, or 29 percent. Through Thursday, 30 of the 102 races at the current meeting were run on turf, or the same 29 percent.

“We are doing everything within our power to ensure a safe turf course,” Harper said in a statement. “Preparing to resume turf racing next week will allow our crews to perform additional safety measures.”

In the coming days, maintenance will be conducted to aerate the course and provide extensive watering to soften the surface. When racing does resume, the temporary turf rails will be set 24 feet from the permanent positions to give horses fresh ground on which to race. Turf rails were set 18 feet from the permanent positions for races Wednesday and Thursday.

This is the second consecutive weekend in which turf races have been abandoned for at least one day. Turf racing was canceled last Sunday following the injuries that occurred the preceding two days. After that cancellation, the course was aerated and extensively watered.

Earlier Friday, officials with the California Thoroughbred Trainers association called for the track to reduce the number of claiming races and eliminate turf sprints and turf workouts. Turf workouts are expected to continue on a once-a-week basis.

Turf racing is a vital part of the track’s stakes schedule, with 20 of the 43 stakes run on the course. Several important turf races have yet to be run, including the $250,000 John Mabee Stakes on Aug. 10, the $300,000 Del Mar Oaks on Aug. 16, the $250,000 Del Mar Mile on Aug. 24, and the $300,000 Del Mar Derby on Aug. 31.

Two $90,000 stakes scheduled for five furlongs on turf – the Daisycutter Stakes for fillies and mares Aug. 8 and the Green Flash Handicap on Aug. 13 – will be run on the Polytrack synthetic surface.

Five turf races were canceled from Friday through Sunday. Four turf races were held without incident Wednesday and earlier on Thursday’s program before Serious was injured.

Serious, a 4-year-old trained by Vince Smith, suffered sesamoid injuries during a five-furlong turf sprint. The injuries were considered grave, but the filly was sent to a veterinary clinic near Los Alamitos late Thursday to be evaluated. Harper said track veterinarian Dana Stead had advised that the filly be euthanized as a result of her injuries.

On Friday, several trainers questioned why Serious was allowed to start in the optional claimer. She won a $16,000 claimer for non-winners of three at Santa Anita in May and had not raced since finishing last of eight in a starter allowance at Los Alamitos on July 3.

“The horse should not have run,” said CTT president Jim Cassidy said. “She ran in a $16,000 claimer for non-winners of three. She hadn’t run since July 3, and she hadn’t worked since. That’s a red flag. Then they run it in an allowance race?”

Harper said he remains hopeful that the issues concerning the turf course can be remedied. The track averaged slightly fewer than three turf races a day at the 2013 meeting.

“I don’t think it deserves to be abandoned,” he said.

Drill More than 1 year ago
Del Mars management team is to blame. How could they screw things up this bad?
Mark D More than 1 year ago
Trainers have always praised Maryland Tracks. Pimlico's Turf Course is was brand new this Spring....it had Zero problems
Chuck Seddio More than 1 year ago
why not just cancel the rest of the meet and go back to santa anita until they get it right, it is crazy ot race there with poly and no turf,the handle will be devastating ,im throwing out the del mar section of drf anyway,. good thing the bc is not now at del mar. i cant believe they havent moved the meet yet?? doesnt anyone have a clue??
sjm80s . More than 1 year ago
I have a great idea. How about you actually put grass there? Delmar racing always has been and still is awful.
Dick Brasher More than 1 year ago
Wow,a horse died on the plastic track,and no one has said a word about it.....
martymar . More than 1 year ago
it's called a heart attack tard and it was mentioned several times on social media.
Dick Brasher More than 1 year ago
there is no problem with the turf.Why is Tyler off his mounts?
The Baron More than 1 year ago
He had a Baby girl today!! Not drugs or booze for a change - yeah!!
michael More than 1 year ago
Why did it take you so long Mr. Harper to figure out that there was a problem ???
Mark More than 1 year ago
Bernier how wicked strong do in Dandy? How does this guy get paid for his opinions? Smh
Pagani Zonda More than 1 year ago
He picked Moreno to win the Whitney...did you?.
ken n More than 1 year ago
Joe Harrper is a real boozer,money wasted on pool table greens must come out,end of story,
Bob More than 1 year ago
Obviously something has gone awry with the expansion of the turf course. Whereas it used to be one of the most "European" style turf courses in the country with its long, flowing grass, after the hastily installed widening of the course it is now plagued with problems. Who knows why, but they are doing the right thing by shutting it down until they figure out what is wrong with the course.
Walter More than 1 year ago
Bob, that Euro turf course went away many years ago. But it should be brought back
Pagani Zonda More than 1 year ago
Euro turf course?. Please...Woodbine, and Kentucky Downs are the only two tracks that resemble a European course...somewhat.