07/10/2017 11:16AM

Danish Dynaformer recovering from bone bruising

Email
Michael Burns
Danish Dynaformer could return to Woodbine by the end of July, trainer Roger Attfield said.

ETOBICOKE, Ontario – A notable absentee from the Grade 3 Singspiel Stakes on July 2 at Woodbine was Danish Dynaformer, who won the race in 2016. Trainer Roger Attfield said Danish Dynaformer is getting a break at Kinghaven Farms in King City, Ontario, after coming out of the Grade 3 Louisville Handicap at Churchill Downs on May 20 with bone bruising.

“I think I jarred him up in Florida running him on the turf down there before I left,” Attfield said. “I thought that I’d win the Elkhorn, and he didn’t produce his race there, and he didn’t produce in his next race. We found quite a bit of jarring up and bone bruising on him, so he’s having a bit of a break for the fall.”

Danish Dynaformer has made four starts in 2017, with his best finish coming in the Grade 2 Elkhorn Stakes at Keeneland on April 22, when he was fourth behind Itsinthepost. Danish Dynaformer also made two starts at Gulfstream Park over the winter in the Grade 3 W.L. McKnight Handicap and the Grade 2 Mac Diarmida Stakes.

Attfield said he was hoping Danish Dynaformer would return to Woodbine by the end of July.

“We’re going to look at him in a couple weeks,” he said. “I was looking at the end of this month to bring him back here.”

Attfield said he didn’t have any races in mind for Danish Dynaformer, but the Grade 1 Canadian International could be a possibility. Danish Dynaformer ran sixth behind Erupt in last year’s Canadian International.

“He’s going to have to come back and find his form,” Attfield said. “I know he’s a good horse, and he hasn’t been able to do anything this year. Hopefully, we’ll get that all sorted out.”

Woodbine amends shipping policy

Woodbine’s racing office has amended a controversial policy that previously limited horses stabled at the track from shipping to other tracks for races with a base purse of less than $20,000 more than once.

Under the new policy, which goes into effect Saturday, no horse may ship out from Woodbine to race more than twice at another racetrack for a base purse of less than $20,000. Horses who have already shipped out to race at another racetrack for less than $20,000 prior to Saturday will have their count reset to zero.

The initial policy, which took effect in April, was viewed as a move to limit the number of horses shipping to Fort Erie, where the highest overnight purse is $18,600. Fort Erie’s chief operating officer and chief financial officer, Tom Valiquette, said in May that 35 percent of the horses racing at Fort Erie in the past have been ship-ins, mostly from Woodbine.

Through Sunday, Fort Erie’s 2017 meet has seen an average of 6.05 starters per race, down 14 percent from the first 11 dates of the 2016 meet.

The new policy will give Woodbine-based horses the opportunity to become eligible for a series of $30,000 races at Fort Erie in August. Those races are restricted to horses who have raced at Fort Erie at least twice during the 2017 season.