05/12/2014 4:37PM

Chrome report: Derby winner arrives at Pimlico

Email
Barbara D. Livingston
California Chrome attracts a large media contingent at Pimlico on Monday.

BALTIMORE - Kentucky Derby winner California Chrome, escorted by four Baltimore city police officers on motorcycles, arrived at Pimlico Racecourse a little before 3:15 p.m. Monday after shipping from Churchill Downs.

The Derby winner traveled by van from Churchill - where he has been based since shipping from California on April 28 - to Lexington, where he boarded a Tex Sutton charter accompanied by groom Raul Rodriguez, exercise rider Willie Delgado, and Jordan Olsen, a longtime friend of assistant trainer Alan Sherman. Sherman flew on a separate plane that landed at Baltimore-Washington International Airport at roughly the same time as California Chrome’s, and he led the horse off the van and into his new stall at Pimlico.

California Chrome, as he did arriving in Kentucky, declined to be cajoled off the van walking forward, and had to be backed out the door.

“That’s just something he wants to do,” said Sherman. “He did it coming off the plane, too.”

::DRF Live: Reports from training hours at Pimlico 8-9 a.m. ET this week

Sherman said the trip had been uneventful and that California Chrome, who trained this morning at Churchill, handled the travel without incident.

“They said that everything went fine on the plane,” said Sherman.

The flight from Kentucky carried nearly a dozen horses for various races here Friday and Saturday. Among the others arriving this afternoon were Preakness starters Ride On Curlin, who finished seventh in the Derby, and General a Rod, who was 11th. Preakness starter Kid Cruz was to arrive by van from New York this evening, another flight from Kentucky comes Wednesday, and Preakness runner Ring Weekend will van from the nearby Fair Hill training center Thursday.

Alan Sherman has been overseeing California Chrome’s day-to-day training since trainer Art Sherman, his father, departed Kentucky for California last week. Art Sherman is scheduled to arrive Tuesday in Baltimore.

::2014 PREAKNESS STAKES: Latest news, video, and more

Alan Sherman said California Chrome’s first training session here Tuesday morning hadn’t yet been mapped out.

“We’ll jog or gallop. I just want to see how he eats up tonight and go from there. If he does gallop tomorrow, it will be an easy gallop,” said Sherman.

Sherman said California Chrome won’t have anything more than steady, daily gallops leading into the Preakness, where he’s likely to be an odds-on favorite. All has gone well so far since California Chrome won the Derby by 1 3/4 lengths. This is another new experience for a colt that left California for the first time just two weeks ago. The Preakness setup is unusual: Horses shipping in for stakes races this week are stabled in a handful of barns situated on the other side of the grandstand from the racetrack itself, a far remove from the regular – and far more weather-beaten – Pimlico backstretch. A limited number of horses stable on the regular backstretch and morning-training traffic here is very light.

The main task at hand for the California Chrome crew now is waiting out what they hope are four more routine days before California Chrome tries for a second Triple Crown win.

“I’m not scared - I’m just excited,” Sherman said.

Anonymous More than 1 year ago
CC wins Saturday with relative ease. If you're trying to beat him in the Preakness, you're doing so for your wallet. And while I would never try to talk you off trying to beat an odds on favorite, I wouldn't dig very deep into said wallet. Wait 3 weeks... the opportunity will still be there with just as good of prices to boot & many more questions for CC.
Chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
Ya gotta like that Cailiforina Chrome stepped on the track Tuesday morning and announced himself the Alpha Male, thebaddestass in the valley as it were.
Clive Weidle More than 1 year ago
California Chrome in a romp X2......Big chance at triple crown !!...He's got the heart, action, and speed ! go CC go ! Show all them blue bloods you got it too!!!
Kyri Freeman More than 1 year ago
I think CC is a fantastic horse, but I really hope he can handle an off track. The forecast is not encouraging.
Gunner More than 1 year ago
Weatherman might be the only profession with a lower batting average than Public Handicapper. Look out the window Saturday morning - there is your weather, man!
Brian Williams More than 1 year ago
Would not worry even if its sloppy as the conditioners there(in the past 35 yrs) roll it tight for the Preakness(only then) IMO. Saw Codex roll off the pace(fast track)...Affirmed/Alydar(fast) and dont forget Alomas Ruler...I cannot see anything less than a sweep here for Chrome.
Geronimo2123 . More than 1 year ago
The weather forecast is fine. Only 20 percent chance of rain on Saturday. 70-80 percent for Friday.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
its not so much the forecast on Saturday. It's the potential monsoon hurricane rain on Thursday/Friday that would concern me.
Honnimae More than 1 year ago
I don't think it's a Horse in the Country that can Run with this Horse off the Turn. I don't think he's getting beat by any Closer . The Speedsters Will Die except Bayern He will Pull a Marfa and Bite another horse if they Run Right Next to Him. CC off the Turn = Amazing.. .
D L More than 1 year ago
It still baffles me how many people still have no respect for CC or his connections. At this "current" point in time CC is the best 3 year old in the country whether you like it or not. For all those who doubt it, What 3 year old is better (I hear crickets churping!)? I know many people are just thinking with their wallets. They are hoping that the 4 longest shots on the board come in 1-4 but the real racing fan are pulling for CC & hoping he'll be heading to Belmont with a Triple Crown on the line. This sport needs CC & his magic... PERIOD! Before you make negative comments about CC on this site or any others, announce yourself as a wallet thinker, that way we may understand why you have these stupid points of view...
Ed Greenberger More than 1 year ago
Scolding people for taking a stand against CC is a bit much. I agree that he should win the Preakness -- though stranger things have happened than him losing -- but if he goes to Belmont with a shot at the Crown that's a different story. Most of us will be rooting like crazy for him, but even if we are many of us will take advantage of what is sure to be an amazing wagering opportunity. The fact is that, based on history, there is a very slim chance of him winning the Triple Crown.
D L More than 1 year ago
All I said was that I hope he heads to Belmont with a Triple Crown on the line. I never talked about him winning or losing. The comment was more about the current moment in time.
Ed Greenberger More than 1 year ago
You called anyone who is going to bet against CC Saturday "stupid."
D L More than 1 year ago
I just reread what I wrote........ I never seen this, "You called anyone who is going to bet against CC Saturday "stupid." The comments about CC not being a good quality horse are the dumb points of view that I was speaking of. Thanks for putting words in my mouth though ;)
Ed Greenberger More than 1 year ago
I'm assuming by "negative comments," you meant people who think he's going to lose the Preakness. Am I wrong? Then you said those "negative comments" indicate a "stupid point of view." You also implied that anyone who makes those comments is thinking with his wallet. Translation: If you think CC is going to lose and/or are going to bet against him, you're stupid.
Frank Raspy More than 1 year ago
"stupid points of view" is the quote. My question is, "Why can't Ed read?"
D L More than 1 year ago
Frank, Ed is mad because he lost big on the Derby. He didn't think CC was the real deal....SOOOOooooooo... he left CC out of his Super's, Tri's & Win bets!
Elijah Allison More than 1 year ago
He will win the Preakness but will not win the Belmont and I'm not a wallet thinker that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard
Andy Dean More than 1 year ago
I don't know why you and Ed are so sure he won't win the Belmont. He's got the right temperament, high cruising speed, smarts, athleticism, breeding (ye breeding! look his pedigree up) etc to pull it off. If he takes to the Big Sandy surface Victor will know what to do, and the horse will do it. And don't be fooled by an "out of the clouds" closer at that race. A quick look at the last 20 year charts will tell the story.
Joey W More than 1 year ago
If Social Inclusion runs the fractions I believe he will run it could get interesting. CC has had soft fractions for 2nd and 3rd quarters in most of his races. I do think he is the best 3yr old, but he also is getting to run his race.
Robert Batchelor More than 1 year ago
Sherman, My hopes and dreams are with you all the way. Victor just do what you do best read CC just like the passed five races and win!!! I will see you both at Belmont Park to make history. Robert Batchelor Go California Chrome
Gunner More than 1 year ago
Those "handful of barns" are really cool and I recommend parking as close to them as possible on any visit to Pimlico. Pretty easy access to real essentials.
Maya Joffe More than 1 year ago
The main task at hand for the California Chrome crew now is waiting out what they hope are four more routine days before California Chrome tries for a second Triple Crown win. ^Did they mean "second Triple Crown RACE win?"^
Daniel Garcia More than 1 year ago
Nice catch. Good thing they don't charge for any of these articles. Wait....