12/18/2012 11:48AM

Charles Town fires racing secretary Wehrman

Randy Wehrman, the racing secretary at Charles Town racetrack in West Virginia, was escorted off track grounds by security personnel last week and fired, state racing officials confirmed on Tuesday.

It was unclear on Tuesday what prompted Charles Town management to fire Wehrman, who had been racing secretary since 2008. State racing officials said on Tuesday that they are investigating the matter and that a hearing will likely be held to determine whether to revoke Wehrman’s occupational permit.

“Our primary concern is the integrity of the investigation and the promptness with which we handle this matter,” said Jon Amores, the executive director of the state racing commission, who declined to comment on the details of the investigation. “I would be surprised, given the action that Charles Town took in firing him, if we did not conduct a hearing over his suitability to hold an occupational license.”

Wehrman, who is in his early 50s, has worked at racetracks his entire professional life, including an earlier stint at Charles Town from 1997-1999.

Prior to returning to the West Virginia track, he worked for 10 years in a variety of official racing capacities at tracks in Virginia and Kentucky, his native state.

Erich Zimny, the vice president of racing operations at the track, said he could not comment on the reasons why Wehrman was fired.

“We don’t comment on internal employee matters such as this,” Zimny said.

Danny Wright, one of three state stewards at Charles Town, said that stewards were not involved in the firing. Any initial hearing into the matter will be held in front of the stewards, according to Wright and Amores.

“We have adequate people here in the racing office, and racing isn’t going to miss a beat,” Wright said.

Anonymous User More than 1 year ago
Should have said every horse but one did not finish. My bad...
Anonymous User More than 1 year ago
Charles Town has been a joke for a while now but the final straw was the infamous race on 2/29/2012 where the track was so sloppy they should have cancelled but they ran it and every horse except one finished. Ok, fair enough, but the real shafting by Charles Town was that they did not refund any of the Place, Show, Exacta, Trifecta or Pick N wagers. I stopped betting on Charles Town after that and will probably never bet it again.
MR More than 1 year ago
HELLO!! It's not like it's a REAL racetrack, it's Charles Town people, seriously! And the guy is the racing secretary. He takes entries then gets on the track intercom and begs trainers to put more horses in the box. Whoopee!
tcasolo More than 1 year ago
I've never heard that announcement, Must just be me. Maybe I keep missing it.
John Stevelberg More than 1 year ago
Matt, I think if you are going to publish the story a little investigative journalism is called for. If you make some calls or drive up there I'm sure you could get to the real story. Until then I'll withhold judgement.
Robin Dawson More than 1 year ago
I agree. But think for a moment just how pathetic it is that such a story should make headline news! Boy is the supposed Sport of Kings in trouble. Meanwhile all the big guys at the NTRA/BC and Jockey Club are noted by their absence.
Robin Dawson More than 1 year ago
Apparently...its all about 'inappropriate dalliances' with ladies of the night. And if so, so what...as this puts him on a par with a lot of other people I can think of in much loftier positions.
joseph More than 1 year ago
I cant bet on Charles Town races because the stewards are too hair trigger and gung ho to DQ horses, so that last dig by Danny Wright was typical of their arrogance.
rvraynmary More than 1 year ago
This reminds me of the suspension, then firing of our former baseball announcer.The best the Phoenix media could get from Diamondbacks management about it: "we had philosophical differences." At first glance,this case seems to go a step beyond that. I hope the facts simmer out at some point. STUCKINARIZONA
METS More than 1 year ago
It is not unusual for someone to be let go and escorted off the property by security. Happens all the time, especially at big firms. Let's hear this one out first everyone. Jim Branford, CT
Slew32A More than 1 year ago
At this point with 5 comments 1 person says it seems like he did something underhanded another that it must've been serious to be escorted off the grounds, both fair statements and since there's actually an article here about it it's understandable for them to be curious. Yet 2 over zealous people took it upon themselves to police the comment board in the spirit of being extreme in their political correctness to vilify any one who has a comment to post. Unbelievable!
Jeffries Will More than 1 year ago
why are we guessing? just let the situation play itself out. its obvious they have something, why do we need to be the first to know?
Patricia Doyle More than 1 year ago
I guess we want to be the first to know because it is (us?) who bet the money on the races. Any hint of impropriety makes me nervous. ....and I am only a two dollar bettor. Well, 10 cent supers whenever possible.