06/29/2014 4:53PM

Castro injured after being kicked by mount in paddock

OCEANPORT, N.J. – Eddie Castro suffered a large laceration on the right leg when kicked in the paddock prior to the ninth race Sunday at Monmouth Park.

Initial reports indicated a possible broken leg. It turned out to be a nasty gash.

Castro was rushed to Monmouth Medical Center where X-rays revealed no fracture.

“He suffered a large laceration on his right leg,” said Dr. Angelo Chinnici, the track’s medical director. “He will be sutured and kept overnight for observation.”

Castro was given a leg up on Kamarius, a Todd Pletcher trainee, when the horse reared, dumped the jock, and kicked him in the leg.

Horacio Karamanos replaced Castro on the 2-year-old colt who finished ninth in his debut.

Castro, 29, was sitting third in the Monmouth standings with 23 wins from 140 mounts. Castro was the runner-up in the Monmouth standings for three straight meets starting in 2007.

TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
take a few months to heal Eddie, you sure have earned it! and when ur well enough to get the leg up {no pun intended} , you come back and kick a in the Breeders Cup series. good luck, God Bless.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
what are you doing on this horse raceing bd trying to scam someone I think
G More than 1 year ago
Luckily Eddie just had a cut leg that required stitches.
Walter More than 1 year ago
Always happens to the good guys. Eddie, we miss you at AP. You were great here. Get well soon
Michael Infurna More than 1 year ago
Another juiced up Pletcher horse?
Jon Cohen More than 1 year ago
What an absolutely ignorant thing to say. I was standing by the paddock and saw the entire incident. It was a scared two year old, and it happened in about a half a second. Castro is VERY lucky. Someone like you who owns horses should know better.
Alden Lewis More than 1 year ago
I agree with Jon ...why blame the trainer cause your jealous of him.
Michael Infurna More than 1 year ago
If you look at Pletchers 2 yos, they are not scared or skittish before they get to race, unless they run for a tag, They are all schooled in the paddock and are race ready. However, all his young horses are so wound up that alot of them run through soreness and issues that should keep young horses on the sidelines. He ran one at Belmont last week that won impressively and looked like he should have been a vet scratch before the race. Not a huge fan of Pletcher and his never ending stream of 2 yos.
D'Funnybone More than 1 year ago
If ignorance is bliss, you must be one happy individual!
What a jerk to say such a thing must be a big loser
Michael Infurna More than 1 year ago
At least I post my name. Why am I loser if I believer Pletchers horses, especially his 2 yos all run out of their skin, likely by means other than training? Hes a good trainer, but not a miracle worker!!
Jason Hart More than 1 year ago
Michael..... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I doubt you were called a loser because you believe Pletcher's 2 yos run out of their skin. It probably has something to do with you saying "Another juiced up Pletcher horse?" You've said you're not a huge fan of Pletcher. That's fine. I respect that. There are a lot of trainers I'm not fans of. But to blindly say this horse is juiced up simply because he kicked someone in the paddock his first career start, is a little much.
Walter More than 1 year ago
You are completely entitled to your opinion. We don't know what Pletcher really does to his horses. However, when we see violations occur with so many trainers big name & small name, I can see why you might speculate. Too many players have ther heads in the sand on this topic.