09/04/2014 11:09AM

California Chrome to work between races Saturday

Scott Martinez/Los Alamitos
California Chrome will work between races Saturday as he prepares for the Grade 2 Pennsylvania Derby on Sept. 20.

CYPRESS, Calif. – It is a week of firsts for California Chrome.

The Kentucky Derby winner schooled at the Los Alamitos starting gate early Thursday, his first visit to a gate since the Belmont Stakes. On Saturday, California Chrome will have his first between-races workout at Los Alamitos.

Trained by Art Sherman and assistant Alan Sherman, California Chrome will work between the third and fourth races Saturday as he nears his first start since a fourth-place finish June 7 in the Belmont Stakes.

California Chrome is targeting a Sept. 20 return in the Grade 2, $1 million Pennsylvania Derby at Parx. The Saturday workout under jockey Victor Espinoza will be his fifth in a weekly sequence that began Aug. 8.

“He’ll go either five-eighths or three-quarters and gallop out good,” Alan Sherman said.

California Chrome held his weight through a demanding Triple Crown campaign that included wins in the Derby and Preakness. According to Sherman, California Chrome returned from his six-week layoff looking much like he did when he left.

“He put on a little bit of weight, but not much. He didn’t really need to gain a lot of weight,” Sherman said. “He actually held his weight really good [through the Triple Crown].”

California Chrome has been training regularly at Los Alamitos since returning July 17 from a short break at Harris Ranch in Coalinga, Calif.

Owned by breeders Steve Coburn and Perry Martin, California Chrome has won eight races and $3,532,650 from 13 starts, including four graded stakes. A California-bred sired by Lucky Pulpit, California Chrome is the leading candidate for 2014 champion 3-year-old male and Horse of the Year, along with Shared Belief.

:: DRF Live: Get real-time updates and insights from DRF reporters and handicappers starting at 12:30 p.m. ET on Saturday

California Chrome came onto the track Thursday at 6:20 a.m., galloped 1 3/4 miles under exercise rider Willie Delgado, and visited the gate for the first time since the Belmont. The colt was initially reluctant to enter the gate. “He’s always like that; he has a tendency to hesitate,” Delgado said. “Once he gets in, he’s fine.”

California Chrome minded his manners after he loaded. He will gate-school again and work once more after Saturday before shipping Sept. 16 to Parx for the 1 1/8-mile Pennsylvania Derby.

While the between-races workout Saturday generates publicity for Los Alamitos, there also are benefits for the horse.

“They get a better workout [in the afternoon],” Sherman said. “We used to do it more. Lykatill Hil used to work between races at Bay Meadows.”

Lykatill Hil was a multiple stakes winner for the Sherman stable in the 1990s.

Idiots hating the owners and punishing Chrome. Real class!
Hail No More than 1 year ago
He really looked good in this move, just like the 'pl California Chrome :)
tra More than 1 year ago
Maybe the other horses in the Penny race will whack him real good coming out the starting gate and the horse is pulled up after the idiots bet him down to 1-10.
mike More than 1 year ago
Maybe you'll do me a favor and jump off a cliff.
mike More than 1 year ago
Maybe someone will give you a good whack.
tra More than 1 year ago
The big mouth owner who opened his mouth and inserted his boot after losing the Belmont should never have a microphone put before his ugly mug again in life for showing absolutely the worst sportsmanship ever. Hope the horse never wins another race again.
Fred Greenstein More than 1 year ago
And the big mouth critic that penned this little pearl of wisdom has laid claim to just as little class. A true horseman indeed to wish the horse does poorly because of his owner. It's about the horse not the owner . Go away.
Hail No More than 1 year ago
I can't believe the stuff that some people feel the need to post publically, geez, like Fred said, if you don't like the owners, fine, they can't detract from the brilliance of this fine colt!
ctgreyhound More than 1 year ago
tra I'd like to introduce you to GQ (below). You two have a lot in common; bad taste & not afraid to show it.
mike More than 1 year ago
"Ugly mug"? Bet you're a beauty aren't you? Knucklehead where's your Derby/Preakness winning horse?
mike More than 1 year ago
Idiot,you better hope really hard this horse has lots of wins left in him if he stays sound.
mike More than 1 year ago
Yeah,you're showing great sportsmanship chump.
GQ More than 1 year ago
I hate the connections. Don't care if this horse wins or finishes 8th. Never care about him again after the big mouth owners cry baby act after the Belmont. If the owner passed out in front of me, I would step over him to get to my diet coke. UGH George in Naples
Hail No More than 1 year ago
You are the epitome of low class with that post..
ctgreyhound More than 1 year ago
HATE is a very strong word reserved for ISIS.
Hail No More than 1 year ago
Amen to That !!
mike More than 1 year ago
TROLL
mike More than 1 year ago
Cry me a river.
mike More than 1 year ago
Take a hike!
dean More than 1 year ago
Please i hop they dont interview the owners :)
mike More than 1 year ago
A real tragedy would be if you were ever interviewed.
mike More than 1 year ago
Isn't it hope instead of "hop"? Get real!
Frank Reach More than 1 year ago
Very cool. I remember back in 1989, I was at Del Mar when Sunday Silence worked a mile by himself between races. Sunday Silence flew home and broke the track record for a mile in a workout ! Everyone , including me , thought it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. The press abused Charles Whittingham as a crazy man for working him so fast and thought he blew his chance in the upcoming Super Derby. Well, as you all know he won the Super Derby soon after....then won the Breeder's Cup Classic. Do I think CC will do the same......well, no I don't....but, what a great opportunity to see an amazing animal work in front of the public between races. I truly wish CC the best. It will be fun.
Hail No More than 1 year ago
Good post, Frank, I completely forgot the SS work where he broke (equaled?) the track record. Thanks for the memory..
ron breton More than 1 year ago
cc will not win a race in 2014......remember my post ..I am never wrong
You Feel Lucky More than 1 year ago
ron breton13 hours ago cc will not win a race in 2014 You are already wrong with that statement.....hasn't CC already won about 4 little races in 2014? ......I think you may be wrong, many more times than you care to admit.
Charles Legaspie More than 1 year ago
Got him!
mike More than 1 year ago
Remember my post,Ron Breton will not say anything of merit in 2014 or for the rest of his miserable life.
Jill Compton More than 1 year ago
can't wait to see him race, I will taping it as I have to work:(
Lenny Mamola More than 1 year ago
does'nt seem he will be ready for Penn