06/15/2012 4:01PM

Calder notes: Giant Ryan gone but hardly forgotten

Barbara D. Livingston
Giant Ryan was euthanized after laminitis set in.

MIAMI – Life went on, as it must, at trainer Bisnath Parboo’s barn at Calder on Friday morning. But it wasn’t easy for the boss, his family, and all the help the day after their beloved Giant Ryan was euthanized as a result of the catastrophic injuries he suffered in Saturday’s True North Handicap at Belmont Park.

Shivananda Parbhoo, son of the trainer, was the principal owner of Giant Ryan, although the horse was truly a family affair. All his success and in the end his great sadness of his death was shared by not only the family but everybody associated with the stable.

“Everybody at the barn was so heartbroken when they heard the news,” Parbhoo said. “The exercise riders, grooms, hotwalkers. They all really thought he was going to survive and make it through this thing. He was just such a nice horse to be around. We left his stall open all week, but I had to put another horse in there today. It was just too hard for all of us to walk past the empty stall like that. Every time you went by you wanted to cry.”

Parbhoo said Giant Ryan’s surgery had been scheduled for Friday at the New Bolton Center and he was preparing to fly back to Pennsylvania when he received the news from Dr. Dean Richardson late Thursday morning that his horse was starting to show signs of laminitis.

“I was speechless for the first 45 seconds after he told me that, because I knew what was coming next, I knew what the next step was,” said Parbhoo. “I had to wait for my father and talk about it before making a final decision. He wasn’t suffering yet, but we knew by this morning he probably wouldn’t have been able to stand on his good foot. We had to make the decision right away.”

Parbhoo said the only saving grace for him and his family this past week was the victory by their other top sprinter, Trinniberg, later Saturday afternoon at Belmont in the Grade 2 Woody Stephens.

“Right now Trinniberg is helping keep us together a little bit,” said Parbhoo. “That was a phenomenal win. I was a little worried going into the Woody Stephens after having run him in the Kentucky Derby. But we did what was right for him in that race, had Willie [Martinez] just ease him up once he knew he couldn’t get anything. And when he returned home from Churchill Downs he was so sharp, we had to send him back to the track one day later.”

Trinniberg vanned back to Calder from New York on Wednesday and is scheduled to return to training here Saturday.

“He’s come back so sharp and so happy, it took two guys to walk him this morning,” said Parbhoo. “As good as Ryan, was I think Trinniberg will turn out to be even better. Giant Ryan was pretty much a six-furlong specialist, but Trinniberg is faster and can go seven eighths and maybe even a mile.”

Parbhoo’s next major goal for Trinniberg will be the King’s Bishop later this summer at Saratoga, although he said there is still about a 10-percent chance he could prep for the race in the Grade 3 Carry Back here on July 7.

Parbhoo was not in attendance when his even-money Pleasant Heiress won Friday’s second race under leading rider Luis Saez.

“I didn’t go to the races yesterday or today,” said Parbhoo on Friday. “It’s just too hard to watch our horses run right now. It’s not the same any more. I’m sure if I give it a little time, the feeling will go away.

Sano fined, suspended

Antonio Sano, the leading trainer at both the 2011 Calder and Tropical at Calder meets, has been suspended 15 days and was fined $500 after his 3-year-old filly Ferretera tested positive for the Class 3 drug acepromazine following her victory in the first race here on May 3.

Sano’s suspension began Tuesday and runs through June 26. All horses in his name have been transferred to his assistant Jesus Prada.

Sano is eighth in the standings with just eight victories from 106 starters during the current session.

Ritvo promoted

Tim Ritvo, president and general manager of Gulfstream Park, has been promoted to the additional post of chief operating officer of the racing division for The Stronach Group. Mike Rogers has also been promoted to president of the Stronach Group.

“I am excited to now be able to apply some of the measures we have successfully implemented at Gulfstream to the other Stronach Group racetracks,” said Ritvo.

The Stronach Group also owns Santa Anita, Golden Gate, Pimlico and Laurel.

Ritvo said he hopes to be able to continue to run the day-to-day operations at Gulfstream even with his new responsibilities.

“Gulfstream is Frank’s [Stronach] marquee facility and being part of this is important to me,” said Ritvo. I’m also greatly honored to be able to be given the opportunity to further contribute to Frank’s love and passion for horse racing.”

* Numb Lips worked five furlongs in 1:00.06 and galloped out a very strong six furlongs in 1:12.25 over a wet and sealed racetrack for trainer Agustin Bezara on Friday. Numb Lips finished third behind the odds-on Where’s Sterling in the Memorial Day Handicap in his last start. He was also second earlier this meet in the Miami Mile Handicap.