10/29/2012 9:28AM

Breeders' Cup: Royal Delta opts for Ladies' Classic

Royal Delta will run in Friday's Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic at Santa Anita.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Royal Delta, as expected, will be entered Monday in the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic, trainer Bill Mott said Monday morning from Belmont Park.

Royal Delta won the Ladies' Classic last year at Churchill Downs. She had been cross-entered in the Classic, but Mott always had said the Ladies' Classic was the target, and neither he nor owner Benjamin Leon changed their mind at the last second.

The Ladies' Classic is Friday, the Classic Saturday, both at Santa Anita.

Mott's horses - Royal Delta, plus Classic runners Flat Out, Ron the Greek, and To Honor and Serve - were on a flight from the East Coast that left in the middle of the night and was scheduled to arrive Monday morning in California following a stop in Kentucky.

Mott was not sure when he would be able to travel because of Hurricane Sandy.

"We're just trying to get there," Mott said.

[BREEDERS' CUP 2012: Race-by-race coverage, video, early odds]

Andy Dean More than 1 year ago
Well I just talked to the North Gate @ SA and they confirmed that she's on the grounds.
Andy Dean More than 1 year ago
Anybody know if Awesome Feather is on the grounds @ Santa Anita yet, or is she stuck in the hurricane??? If she's stuck, what's the deal with Chad? For cryin' out loud they knew a week in advance it was coming their way! All that depends on my making or not making her my choice in the Ladies Classic. She's proven her mettle (kinda like Paynter) coming back from that tendon injury, to be as good as can be. I think she'll sit the trip and blast home. That little stakes race she ran at Belmont was a perfect set up, and the time shows her ability. She did it all by herself too. I'd say now knows what's expected of her and also knows she doesn't have to be the speed of the speed. From Chad has said, she's filled out and is more muscular and tractable than ever. With the strength of contenders top to bottom, it's the premiere race of the two days if you ask me!
edb More than 1 year ago
I think the large payouts will still be there on both days. The tri and super in the ladies classic will still be nice even with Royal Delta on top. You have 5 other horses coming in with nice wins and wide open for place on down. Sprints usually start the craziness with the odds. No Court Vision at $131, but I'll take a few winners at 12-1 and play with their money. My buddy Steve had $40 win on Court and also hit the tri and super. That's what makes the Breeders so special since these horses never run at these odds. Good luck!
silver_charm More than 1 year ago
From a betting perspective this year's #BreedersCup may not hold many opportunities for large payouts, as has traditionally been the case, due to smaller fields. This may be a great opportunity, though, to pause and simply enjoy the spectacle, enjoy the thrill of thundering hooves and the majesty that is represented by #RoyalDelta & all the other BC entrants. #horseracing
jon g More than 1 year ago
zzzzzzzzz
Tom Shea More than 1 year ago
I sure hope horses are not left out because of this storm