- DRF Bets
- Handicapping & PPsHorsemen's ProductsReports
Access past performances
- The Wizard
- DRF Gameplan
- Quick Sheets
- DRF Picks
- Today's Racing Digest
- Key Race Report
- Positive ROI Report
- Moss Pace Figure Reports
- Debut Reports
- WE Handicapping Report
- Clocker Reports
Racing and Wagering InformationTools
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- DRF Classic PDF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- DRF HarnessEye PPs
- DRF Daily Harness Program PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- NewsCategoriesTrack Notes
- StorePast PerformancesHarness PPsPackagesDRF PlusREPORTSPICKS
Breeders' Cup: Hurricane Sandy plays havoc with flights
ARCADIA, Calif. - One plane carrying Breeders' Cup horses made it from New York to California on Monday, but a second plane was “highly unlikely” to take off on Tuesday morning as scheduled due to Hurricane Sandy, according to a representative of the equine air carrier Tex Sutton.
A Monday flight that brought horses from the barns of Billy Mott, Chad Brown, Mike Hushion and Shug McGaughey left Stewart International Airport in Newburgh, N.Y., at around 2 a.m., eight hours earlier than scheduled. It stopped in Kentucky to pick up other horses and then came west, arriving in California around 7 a.m. local time.
Horses that were scheduled to arrive here on Tuesday included Todd Pletcher’s quartet of Shanghai Bobby (Juvenile), Dreaming of Julia and Kauai Katie (Juvenile Fillies), and Turbulent Descent (Filly and Mare Sprint). That plane also was to bring Mucho Macho Man (Classic), Brilliant Speed (Classic), Belle of the Hall (Filly and Mare Sprint), Jersey Town (Dirt Mile), Not Abroad (Marathon) and Grace Hall (Ladies’ Classic) from New York. That flight was scheduled to stop in Louisville, Ky. to pick up Wise Dan (Mile ) and Fort Larned (Classic).
A Tex Sutton official said that a plane will be based in Lexington, Ky., by Monday night and a crew will be on stand-by to fly to New York whenever “a window of opportunity presents itself.” As of Monday, it had not been decided if that flight would leave from Newburgh or Albany.
The worst of Hurricane Sandy was expected to hit the New York area Monday night into Tuesday, likely canceling most or all travel and making it more likely that a flight will leave on Wednesday.
Horses based at Belmont were not permitted to train Monday morning as both the main and training tracks were closed due to the weather. As of 2:30 p.m. Monday a decision had not been made on whether the tracks would be open for training on Tuesday.
they had plenty of warning.....no excuse to not get horses out..
Any trainer who didn't get their horses out of these hard hit areas after a FULL WEEK of DAILY warnings of this impending storm is an idiot. There just isn't a nice way to say it. To think they might still get out on WEDNESDAY is just about as ridiculous.......................
The trainers were absolutely foolish. A week of warning and no one budged until Sunday. I wouldn't feel sorry for them if their horses miss the Breeder's Cup. And wouldn't they want an excuse to move such valuable animals out of the storm's path? It was sunny and warm at Santa Anita. No threatening weather. Why wouldn't they want their horses in such a pleasant place?
Geeze, if these guys knew a week ago that this storm was coming they could have gotten thier horses out then. Oh wait thats right, thats all anybody has been talking about back there for at least a week. What the hell?
Anymore questions about why they want the Breeders' Cup in California?
The Tappan Zee Bridge, which the horses will need to cross in order to get upstate to either Newburgh ( Stewart Airport) or to Albany (Albany Airport) has just been closed for all traffic by the Gov. Two tractor trailer trucks have flipped, on the bridge, due to the wind in the past few hrs. The worst winds haven't even reached us yet. The wind is so scary now. I can't imagine what it will be like. All the other NY bridges, including the bridges the horses would need to cross just to get off Long Island, are being closed at 6pm. The winds associated with this storm are expected to be worse from Hurricane Irene & of longer duration but with less water. Instead of 10 or 11 inches of rain, we are only supposed to get 4 to 6 inches. .That, along with the full moon & the storm pushing the water onto shore, will affect the road that leads from Belmont to the Whitestone Bridge, Just before the Whitestone Bridge, coming from Long Island, which is where Belmont & Aqueduct both are, the highway is almost at shore level & runs right along the shore. I can't imagine that highway being passable. If the roadways are damaged because of water, the horses won't even be able to get off Long Island. It just strikes me as foolhardy to not get the horses out of NY before this storm struck. We all knew it was coming for days. Just putting the horses on a trailer truck trying to get to an airport is dangerous as it is the trailer trucks tha are most apt to flip with the wind.
Some trainers didn't keep an eye on the weather.
David Grening: Helpful article, but could you tell us the horses that arrived in California on today's flight?
How, oh how a Trainer's job has changed over the years... Good Luck and a safe trip to all.
- 1.Posted 12/04/2013 11:20AM
- 2.Posted 12/03/2013 03:13PM
- 3.Posted 12/03/2013 07:02PM
- 4.Posted 12/04/2013 07:01PM
- 5.Posted 12/02/2013 02:02PM